Looking at a Camplite 2406

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by click23, Jan 2, 2014.

1. click23

click23 New Member

I am looking at a Camplite 2406 for $2,400. He said it was a '99, but the state issued sticker on the side was issued in '97. This unit has a tandem axle, 14' box, dinette slide out, and a shower/toilet. I have seen it in this guys yard for sale for over a month and I finally stopped yesterday, but no one was home.

It looks good on the outside, have not got to look inside it yet. I do not see many post on these here, just get some opinions and insight on this model. I have looked all over for a brochure for this model but I cannot find one, as I would really like to see the specs.

He did not mention any issues when I spoke to him on the phone, I really want to look at it and see for myself.

2. supton

supton New Member

Look at the DOT date codes on the tires. If it was towed little there is a chance that it still has the original tires--and if they are that would shed light on the build date, as the tire date code should be at least in the same year.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

That said, if those codes are three digit, regardless of year, those tires are old and need replacing.

It's a big camper, but I'm not sure there is a big market for tandems, so... I don't think I'd pay that much for it, but it's probably priced under the understanding that it's best offer. I'd go and look, and give it a full looking over; and plan to walk away, if only so as to research anything and everything that might stick out at you. If it was me, I'd try a good looking w/o him, mostly so I could crawl under and feel for any soft plywood; and to look at the caulk in the corners, get an idea of shape prior to opening.

Oh: did it have surge brakes? If not, then it should be electric. If you don't already I'd think about installing the brake controller now, since it will be required on such a heavy beast.

3. kpic

kpic New Member