Looking at new PUPs

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Yak, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Why 2 dinettes in some? Seems a waste of space to me!

2. Nixie

Nixie New Member

I am actually in the market for one with two dinettes (U shaped and bench) or a bench dinette + couch. We are a large family consisting of 4 kiddos ranging from age 11 - 14 months and my hubby and myself. Not only would two dinettes make extra seating for all of us, they would also fold down into two more beds for us.

3. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

Well duh...You can seat more people... :)

We have 2 tables in side ours. I never really thought about it.

We can seat 4-5 @ one table and 5-6 at the other table.

Both convert to beds. The smaller one becomes a twin (maybe a little bigger) size and the other table area which is horse shoe seating becomes a full size. Along with the king and queen beds we can sleep a lot of people. Also the horse shoe seating table is great for cards. Both of my tables can be pulled out and used out side the camper.

[2C]

FL Bill

4. Hyperterex

Hyperterex Active Member

We have a 2008 Fleetwood Arcadia. It's a great floorplan with the slide out dinette, which converts to a bed. Plus a U shaped couch, a bed as well. We can sleep all 6 of us with ease. Check it out.

5. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Sounds like our old Viking had the same configuration as FL Bill's and we loved it. We would leave one table inside and use that for bad weather eating or as another countertop when prepping, etc. The other table always went outside as a work table as soon as we were popped up. Of course, both tables could be lowered and used as beds, which we never used, but the empty "U" by the bench seating was perfect for our dogs to sleep. Good luck in your search for the perfect PUP for you and your family.

6. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

Ours came with 2 dinettes, a "full size" one and a smaller table that fits perfectly around the U shaped couch. It does take up room, especially in a 10 ft box, but it's convenient at night when the kids are with us. Both make nice size beds also. If it's just the 2 of us camping, we leave one table home. The bigger table will also hook up to the side of the camper which is handy when I'm cooking alot outside.

7. haroldpe

haroldpe Campin' Engineer

Guess the space is needed for the larger families. With just the 3 of us, we loved our old Palomino Mustang 6147, with the dinette slideout. Quoting a board member's comment, "you could do yoga in there!"

[​IMG]

8. regis101

regis101 New Member

Our Pal can sleep eight cozily and ten snuggily. And there is still room for the dog.
    I pondered what floor plan would suit us the best and chose a u-shaped dinette with an end dinette.
    Some peoples don't want to crawl over the seating area(s) to get to the bunk. This doesn't bother me since you have to crawl over the person sleeping at the bunks edge anyway. I usually sleep at the bunks inside edge so one of the kids gets to do the crawling.
    We don't spend much time inside. It just a place to sleep.

9. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Exactly. If you're camping, why are you inside eating? [;)]

10. Nixie

Nixie New Member

Some of us don't just camp in fair weather.. We need enough space to seat everyone inside if it is raining or cold or blowing.. Is also nice escape from bees or mosquitos...

11. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Yikes FLB! 11 people in a PUP? Well, That must be "interesting"

Clown Pup anyone? [:D]

12. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

We looked for one that specifically did not have tables or benches in front of the end sleeping bunks. Pretty tough to get out in the middle of the night for a bathroom break when you have to crawl all over extra tables or other people that are sleeping there.
    JMO

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

That's one of the things I liked about my Yuma when I had it -- a straight aisle down the middle so no climbing over stuff to get into the bunks. That was the critical selling point for my buyer too. You need to climb over the dinette to get in the front bunk of the TrailManor but I don't use that bunk. I sleep in the back and use the front for storage.

14. FL_Bill

Well when you put it like that...lol

Lets see my wife and our 2 kids (6 and 8 and both are rather small for children of there ages.) on one side (and yes it is a tight fit) and my mother and I on the other side. So really that table was made to sit 4.

Then the back table has 4 sides but no seat on one side. So really it seats 5 comfortably.

So total 9, but 2 families of 4 would realistically be able to eat inside if the need arises.

Table space for food and stuff it more an issue.

On our maiden voyage in our pup we went to Rainbow River. It was an awesome time. Saturday we went tubing down the river and got back around 1pm. I got the fire going and opened the canopy on the pup. And started prepping dinner.(Remember, maiden voyage, all new to us...) Then off on the horizon we see it. LIGHTING. And a lot of it. At first I was hoping and thinking it was just going to pass South of us...no such luck. It rained SO hard we all were inside the pup and it was nice and dry in there. I was worried about the Colorado Shade Awing, but it held fine and I even spent a little time out there under it dry. We had our first meal in the pup. We were SO glad we had indoor seating to eat nice and dry and bug free. With a lot of lighting. (I was SOLD)

Originally I thought the same thing. We are always out side and really are not going to need the tables. We sure were glad to have them!

FL Bill

15. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have no idea what it would be like to camp with a big group in one PUP like that. I have never camped with more than three people in one tent or PUP. When I camped with three, I was a kid with my parents. As an adult I camped with my son a lot. My older daughter was not interested in camping. My younger daughter tried it once (we brought a separate tent for her) but didn't like it and never went again. Nowadays, I go alone or with DW.

16. FL_Bill

Normally I go with just my 2 kids and my wife and the dog. However we often camp with a small group of other families. They sleep in texts or there own pup's.

If it is nice out why eat inside?

They say "sleeps 8" but I am not going try...lol

FL Bill

17. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Ok, different points of view. I am not a fan of climbing over dinettes.

18. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Who only camps in fair weather? [{}=]
    Awnings/screen tests are a great invention!

19. MikeS2

MikeS2 New Member

Our Rockwood 2270 has the front u-shaped sofa which has a second table that can be set-up, we never use it but could be a good place for an inside game of cards or a meal during a storm. The layout makes for a large open space and a great place to relax before retiring for the night.

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

When we were looking at HTT's, we decided we wanted something with a booth dinette (for 4 people) and couch at one end (with a path to the bunk) and a single booth dinette (for 2 people) at the back.. This way it would be possible for the 3 of us (4 if DS1 isn't working) to turtle inside the HTT during one night stops, or if the weather is just to crappy to run around outside and set up the bunks...

In the end we just went straight to a TT, since our one complaint with the pup was having to open up and dry canvas, didn't make sense to spend the money only to do it again ..