Looking at tires for the first time

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Bsoder52, May 21, 2020 at 9:49 PM.

1. Bsoder52

Bsoder52 Member

Decided to check out the tires tonight on my new to me (20 year old PUP) and got some questions. First of all the max tire pressure in one time is 35 lbs the other tire is 65 lbs, is that an issue? (haven't checked the spare yet). The bearing just have like a gel cap covering and there is no dust cover on the lug nuts, any of that an issue? Also when it comes to lug nut removal is there a neumatic tool for that? I have an air presure tank. And is there a good tool to replace the bearing grease? Should I be inspecting the bearings to make sure there are all there and nothing wrong with them? Drove the PUP home 2 hours from sellers house with no issues. Some kinda grease gun specific for this job? Lots of questions. Great group here, thanks for an help!

[​IMG]
    https://flic.kr/p/2j4kF2G
    [​IMG]
    https://flic.kr/p/2j4ok35
    [​IMG]
    https://flic.kr/p/2j4ok3A

Attached Files:

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Tires should be set to the max cold pressure. Make sure they are within 5-6 years old (google tire date code). No need to mess with an air impact gun. Just use a socket and ratchet. I would personally take off those bearing buddies and replace with a dust cap. Bearing should be periodically removed, cleaned, inspected and repacked with grease. Plenty of topics and how to's on this forum

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Not sure on the grease, but are those bering buddies? Always good to check the bearings etc the first time. If the tires are 2 diffrent max pressures, then its 2 diffrent tires, so could be diffeent loads typs or styles. Non of that is good. Check the age of the tires, tbh i would replace them both, especially given the pressure diffreances. Look at the load and style of tire, bias or radial. And speed rating, you dont want one rated for say 65 and the other 78. You will not have a pneumatic tool on the road so get a good tire wrench that you can use.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from North Bay, Ontario.

1) find the date code on the tires, if older then 5 years replace all 3 of them right away.. it is recommended that trailer tires be replaced every 5 years, I have gone 7 years before replacing them, others have gone a lot more. But general rule 5 years.

2) make sure all 3 tires are the proper load range ir better for your trailer. And tires should be all the same size, make and model. Should be inflated to the maximum cold pressure stated on the sidewall ( some will argue against this) ..

3) what you have is either an EZ-Lube axle or someone went and installed bearing buddy's (which have no place on anything but a boat trailer) .. looked closer at your pictures looks like the latter of the two (bearing buddies) ..
    Since you dont know, your better off pulling all the bearings, cleanbthem, inspect them and replace as required, degrease them and then re install them. ( myself, I would get rid of the buddies) .

For lug nut removal, find a socket that fits, no guarantee it will be the same size as your tow vehicle. Impact gun, star wrench, johnson bar with socket, use what you'd like, just be sure to torque them properly.

5. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Bearing Buddies are marketed for trailers other than boat trailers:
    20200521_224026.jpg

Been running them on my motorcycle/utility trailer for over 25 years with no problem. I built the trailer in 1993 or so out of a 1976 axle. I hand packed the original bearings after the trailer was built. I did that to check their condition. Then, I put on BBs and haven't repacked them since. I probably pull that trailer at least 30 days a year. Never had a problem.

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Good because i have something simmiler on mine, lol.

kcsa75 likes this.
  7. xxxapache

I used them on the Apache for 8 years, also.

8. Bsoder52

Bsoder52 Member

Do I just clean out the greese in the bearing buddy then and use a grease gun to put new grease in? Will the old grease come out just as easy? What grease gun will I need and what greese? Thanks such a newbie!

9. xxxapache

You should pull the hubs, clean and inspect the bearings and then repack. You will need a new rear grease seal.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Problem with bearing buddies is they only grease the front bearings, the rear bearing never gets greased.

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

The Bearing Buddies are not used for replacing the grease in the bearings. The grease that you see inside the Bearing Buddies are from sloppy maintenance practice. There is a light spring in the Buddy, that lets the piston move, when grease is put in the Zert fitting until it reaches the relief hole in the Buddy. You need to realize that the back wheel grease seal is not meant to be a pressure seal. A cheap grease gun can develop 2,000 psi. A good grease gun can develop 10,000 psi.

12. xxxapache

Sure it does. You have to pump the hub full of grease and then it goes to the rear.

kcsa75 likes this.
  13. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Search "packing bearings" on youtube. No grease gun needed but a pair of latex gloves help.

kcsa75 likes this.
  14. WrkrBee

If you blow grease past the rear seal, I guess it would. Under normal operation, the grease should come out the pressure relief hole, on the front side of the Buddy.

15. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I had BB on my boat. Great to pump up and flushed out the water after you had a hot axle submerged when lunching the boat. The Inside of fenders always had grease on them.

Now with electric brakes on the camper and a brake drum to catch all that grease??? I don't think the brakes will work well all greased up. But the good news, if you keep the brake shoes lubed up they will never wear out.

tzmartin likes this.
  16. xxxapache

If you blow grease past the rear seal you have put too much in.

This pretty much explains how they work:

https://www.bearingbuddy.com/how-bb-works

17. WrkrBee

I know how they work. This says the same thing I said.

An automatic pressure relief feature prevents over-filling and over pressurization. See Bearing Buddy diagram: Without this feature, the inner seal will be damaged.

18. xxxapache

Right.....under normal operation the rear bearings get greased and the inner seal doesn't get damaged providing you followed the directions...lol