Looking for a Camping Target

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Lagman, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Lagman

Lagman Member

The wife and I have an itch. We live near Phila. Can anyone suggest a direction this time of year that is a typical “must see” destination that is still open and has little traffic. Maybe warmer too. Little early for Florida. I’d hate to throw the dart at the map.
    Thx

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Just throwing this out there. In case you want to venture as far south as Virginia. Bull run regional Park Campground stays open all year. Although they may limit you to certain sites and they only keep one bathroom open. There are a lot of hiking trails there if you are into that. Bull run battlefield close by and restaurants in town. Washington DC is also fairly close by. Although it may be easier to drive to the Metro station vrs all the way into the city. Traffic here is ugly on a good day. The campground itself is not spectacular and there is a gun range close by so can get noisy at times during the day. What the park has going for itself is location. I've camped here many times myself and some campsites are better than others. It can get crazy busy during the summer but fairly empty this late in the season. Westmoreland State Park is a beautiful park and a lot of sites very pleasant. The campground doesn't close until the first Monday in December. Although you may need to ask if the water at the sites will still be on. Hiking trails and a beach a short drive away from the campground. although you can walk to the visitor center which has a spectacular view of the water on property.

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

The cost of MD, VA, NC, SC. Many State and Federal Campgrounds. Nice on the beach if the gulf stream is running close to the shore. But some years the stream is a few hundred miles out.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I’m heading to Big Meadows at the end of the month. Not warmer but should be beautiful.

Also, next weekend will be the last weekend that Hibernia in Chester County will be open. Really close to Philadelphia and at $15 per night, a bargain.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I used to do a thing we called pick a road and see where it ends, We took out the map or atlas and picked a road then (usually back roads) packed everything and took off to see where it would take us, we had some great adventures that way.