Looking for a generator

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by ghacker, Apr 21, 2012.

1. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Need a new generator for work. I currently have a Generac 4000 EXL. Have had it about over 10 yrs and it's performed flawlessly. This is one of the good ones before Generac sold the portable division to B & S. But at 130 lbs. it's getting more difficult to throw it in the pickup as the years roll along.

So I figure why not kill 2 birds with one stone and get one of the smaller Honda EU or Yamaha EF units and use it for work or camping. I've eliminated the 3000 watt units and up. Like the Generac they're to heavy to throw in the PU by hand. The 2400 EF at 75 lbs. is about as heavy as I want to handle.

In my mind it's a pretty tough call. Both Honda and Yamaha have their advantages and I don't see a clear winner. Hoping that current users can tip the scales one way or the other. For work I typically use it for power tools and and air compressor. For the PUP we do have A/C which would be nice if we're dry camping because most of our camping is during the summer. Figure I'll get the hard start capacitor. If I go the 2000w route, might be willing to get the companion setup down the road for home backup power.

Any insights is appreciated. Thx.

2. turborich

turborich Active Member

They are both excellent units. I have owned both Honda EU & Yamaha EF generators. While I think they are both top of the line units I prefer the Honda EU myself. In the 1000 watt models the Honda is a little bit quieter. In the end I think it would come down to pricing between these two. [2C]

3. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have a Yamaha and I'd agree that the deciding factor should be the price. They are comparable in just about every way. The 1,000-watt Yamaha is actually rated a decibel or two quieter than the Honda but having run mine side-by-side with an equivalent Honda I'd say the Honda "seems" a bit quieter. I think this is due to the difference in the quality (timbre) of the sound.