Looking for a great wooded, lake site in MN - please help

David Tzeutschler

May 23, 2019
Hello Pop Up Enthusiasts and Friends,
We are in Metro Minnesota and relatively new to RVing and the PUP world.
We’ve visited a few MN State Parks: William O’Brien, Afton, Tettegouche, Temperance River, and Wild River.
But we’re looking for something else..something that so far has been somewhat elusive in MN as follows.

Our requirements:
-State Forest or Private ok

-must have a lake or other waterfront, preferably with both fishing dock and swimming access (beach or grass)
-prefer forest and privacy between sites rather than open/prairie
-showers a must
-prefer places where “big rig RVs“ (i.e. motorhomes and 5th wheels) are less common or even not allowed
-electric preferred but not essential

We’ve stayed at a little family-run place that really fits this bill in the past, Lax Lake Resort in Silver Bay. Unfortunately, they’re closed until August this year.

Share your thoughts please; looking for a fun family vacation maybe next week!
Thanks

kcsa75

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2013
Kansas City
Welcome to the forum from Midway USA. We have serveral members from Minnesota who I'm sure will be along to make some suggestions.

MNTCamper

Super Active Member
Jun 14, 2014
MN
Please PM me, I have the ideal State Forest campground in mind for you in Northern MN. Has pump water and vault toilets, no electric, but it is on a lake with no private development at all - the entire lake shore is almost pristine. There are no showers here, but it is easy to wash up in the lake and many folks do so. About half of the sites are directly on the water and you could swim from them, although there is a designated beach area at the campground. You can tie up your boat right at your site if you want. Sites are spread out, usually there is free firewood supplied, but that can vary. There are no towns within ~25 miles of this location. Fishing is good at the lake and there are many other lakes in the area. I know at least a couple other site members are aware of this campground.

There were people camping at this campground before Memorial day when it supposedly wasn't even legal yet in MN, but no issues with this in this area.