Looking for a new popup

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by GatorChamp44, May 22, 2020 at 9:26 PM.

1. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

Wifey and I have given up on going to the dark side. We fell in love with a travel trailer but don't have room to store it. We are now looking into upgrading to a new pop up. We currently have a 2003 Coleman Tacoma and while we love our pup, it is beginning to show its age. Also we want something at least a bit easier to set up and break down. So I am looking into new pups.

I guess my first question is are new popups easier to set up and break down? Power cranks? Power or faster awning set ups? Beds without support bars underneath? That was the appeal of a travel trailer to us. Back it in, throw down the stabilizers, plug it in, done. We want to make 2-3 day trips worth going on. Our current pup is so much work that it's not worth going out if we don't have 4 or 5 days to enjoy. Obviously pop ups will always be more work, but have things advanced in the 17 years since mine was made?

My wife also wants a toilet and shower. Her days of walking to a shower and my days of dumping our small portapotty are ideally over. In fact, our list of preferred options would be....
    -Shower and toilet with sewer hook up or black water tank ideally with a flush system.
    -At least king and queen beds. Ideally 2 kings.
    -More storage
    -Way to mount or store bikes.
    -Outside kitchen without having to transfer the stove from in to out.

So I come to you great people for help. Are there pups out there with what we need?

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 3:06 PM
  2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I would just LOVE to have a brand new highwall. I don't go look at them because I just know I would come with one. I'm envious that you get to go look and are going to buy. I'm going to follow you so I can live vicariously through you. :smiley: All the new campers are so gorgeous, but highwall is off the charts.

What I'm not sure about is if you will ever find a pop up with a non-cassette toilet. Although, don't quote me on that, since new ones change all the time. I know the new ones have nice hard walled bathrooms.

We have a shower and toilet in ours, it's a shoilet combo, all in one room.

I explained this to someone the other day, but even if you have on board black water tanks that connect to the dump, you want to let it get full before dumping. You never keep the valve just open or things will go wrong quickly.

As far as the beds, one of my daughters had a Hybrid with no supports. The bunks were held up by strings of some kind. They didn't feel very safe to me, although I'm sure they are. I didn't like the feeling of bouncing under me like it was going to fall off.

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Sadly if your planning on buying new your selection is going to be limited as there are only like two manufacturers that are still making popups Now. Sadly I’m pretty sure your still going to need to used support bars under the bunk ends and I believe the awning is still a regular bag type awning As well. Although it’s possible they made the Bunk braces a little more user friendly now not sure. Now an electric crank I think will save time on set up assuming it works as it’s supposed to. When I was looking 5 years ago I talked to a few people who had electric lifts on their campers and they all said the same...works great when it works, but sadly they always seem to have to fight it for some reason or another Every season .
    A Highwall could be a good option for you, but a highwall is really high when your trying to pull the bunkends out. I was looking at one on a slight slope and was able to walk under the bunkend without bending my head. Some campsites I camp on are ridiculously sloppy. So I would need a stool just to set up. For some a highwall is a great option if your looking for something a step down from a hybrid or TT. I would strongly suggest that when you find the camper your interested in is to do a full setup at least once before you buy and to try every thing inside like climbing into bed, turning on a lights, try to pretend your taking a shower etc. Also if your going to keep it in your garage take your measurements carefully. Good luck. Luckily for me setup doesn’t bug me too much but I sure won’t do overnights in my popup.

4. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

We bought a coachmen 806 xls and really like the 4 scissor jacks and the beds are supported with cables on the inside.(no more bed support poles)....the beds slide out and in like butter and lock when all the way out and you pull a spring loaded pin and they release and move forwad a few inches and u slide em in.
    We have no power top but even with ac on roof its very easy.
    Ours has no shower or toilet but has a fresh water tank that sits under one of the dinette bench seats and the power switch is right there next to the sink

Last edited: May 23, 2020 at 12:21 AM
    Orchid likes this.
  5. Orchid

That's how my daughter's was too. I really don't think they make new ones with under bunk support poles anymore. They cable is some kind of super strength airline cable that holds up the bed. Made me nervous at first, but I could get used to not having to put poles up.

6. firepit

We looked a new jayco and it had support poles ....all things being equal...quality being about the same we got the coachmen becuse of the no support poles and they wanted a extra $600 to put a ac on it
    The coachmen already had it and they would only match the coachmen price minus the $600 for ac.

Orchid likes this.
  7. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I just looked at some new pictures of that kind of system. Wow! I would love not having to prop the beds up with poles. I imagine that the poles system is a little stronger. Do the cables connect over to the other bed to transfer the weight? It would seem more wobbly and some more strain on the roof structure. Plus what if there is some "afterhours motion" going on in the bed. Seems like both beds would move!

Orchid likes this.
  8. rgmr250

rgmr250 New Member

I have a 2018 Coachmen Viking VTrec V3. It has a King bed and a Queen bed. There are no support poles for the beds, but rather the aircraft support cables. The King is rated to hold 1200lbs and the queen is rated for 1000lbs. It has a 'wet bath', so cassette toiler/shower combo. I have the Vtrec, which is the Toy Hauler model, but the 2485SST seems to be the same, without the toy hauler deck at the front (which is actually handy even if you don't have any 'toys' to haul, as you can store lots of stuff on the deck, but also great for the bikes). Mine has a fridge, 2 burner cooktop, sink (with electric water pump) 23 gallon fresh water, 6 gallon hot water, furnace, Bluetooth stereo with 2 inside and 2 outside speakers, slide-out dinette, both beds (as long as plugged into shore power) are heated as well. Manual roof and tongue jacks and bag awning. So, the setup time doesn't compare to a regular trailer. You can add a power tongue jack easily. Probably could swap out the roof winch with a power one. They're supposed to come with an attachment to use a cordless drill to do the roof, but mine didn't have the extra smaller wheel on the winch for that.
    Mine is like this:
    https://coachmenrv.com/camping-trailers/viking/V3/344
    This is the non-toy hauler model 2485SST:
    https://coachmenrv.com/camping-trailers/viking/2485SST/342

Orchid likes this.
  9. Orchid

My daughter's hybrid was a 2008. I have no idea how the cables were attached. That would suck if one bed bounced the other. [:P] I sure don't know, but would certainly limit any after hours activity if it did. I was a bit freaked out by the lack of support poles. I only got on a bunk end once and not sure if it was actually bouncy, or just because I never quit moving. I climbed right back out. The only night I slept in their camper, it was on a pull out couch. They don't have it anymore.

I'm sure the new ones would be tight and secure. But as far as transference of movement, I don't know and would hope not. I assumed the cables were independent of one another.

10. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

Thanks for the info. Do you know the weight capacity and dimensions of the toy hauler section? Are there ramps?

11. rgmr250

rgmr250 New Member

The cargo carrying capacity on mine is over 1300 lbs, although it seems the 2019 and 2020 model is heavier dry and slightly less carrying capacity at about 1200lbs. I don't know what portion of that can be on the toy hauler section, although I think in theory if you had nothing else in the trailer to add weight, you could have the entire 1300lbs on the toy deck (but it might add quite a bit of tongue weight?) I think the toy hauler section is 60"x80". It has ramps - they double as the 'walls' around the cargo area. A quick walk around video of my trailer:

SHFL and Kyle R Thorson like this.
  12. Kyle R Thorson

Kyle R Thorson Member

That's a nice looking pup, the FJ ain't bad either

13. rgmr250

rgmr250 New Member

I was thinking when I posted the video "I wonder if anybody will notice the FJ?". I've had it a little over a year. My first Toyota, and first SUV. Really liking it. When I was looking for a trailer, I wanted something light enough that my FJ could tow it (5,000lbs towing max), and I could bring my dirt bike along if I wanted to, and this trailer ticks those boxes, so I bought it in Mar. And then Covid hit, and I've only been out in it once so far (between covid, work, weather etc.)

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  14. Kyle R Thorson

Kyle R Thorson Member

I like FJ's my BIL had one, it's a very off-road capable vehicle if taken care of will provide lots of fun and miles of adventures with minimal headaches. We bought our 4runner only because we have 2 kids and 2 dogs and the FJ was a little tight.

15. firepit

Mine run down each side of the beds...there is a cable on each side/end of beds (4 total)...They are just a solid as the poles...One thing i like is i can prop my pillow up against the cable and i am not pushing out on the canvas.

16. rgmr250

rgmr250 New Member

Being that my front King bed is rated to support 1200lbs, I think the cable system is just as strong (maybe stronger) than the pole setup, and a lot less hassle. Possibly some strain on the roof structure, but assuming they were engineered to handle that.

17. mk4

mk4 Member

If you've seen how these pups are built, I'd really question their rating. Yes, the cable might support 1200 pounds, but the upper attachment point on the pup is what I would question.