Looking for a New TV

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by scubacamper, Jan 13, 2020.

1. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

Okay it's getting to be close to that time when we need to replace our TV. Currently our 2010 Chrysler Town & Country is getting long in the tooth and it won't be long before we are going to be nickle and dimed to death. Not that there is anything wrong right now but it's only prudent that we start looking now.

Requirements:
    1. Room for 6 (my wife is a GS Leader) plus a bit of storage.
    2. Tow capability 4k lbs. (we've max out with our mini-van) since we would like to tow the PUP into the mountains.
    3. We Do NOT want the Tanks out there like a Suburban or Armada. I would LOVE an F-150 but that doesn't work for 6+ passengers.

So I'm coming to all of those brains out there spout their opinions, please.

Thanks

2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Can’t beat another van, especially if it works for you seating wise. Just my opinion

FARfetched and 1380ken like this.
  3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Assuming your T&c is paid for, consider a tank just for towing. Keep the T&C for local use. It will last longer if it's not abused.

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

Chevy express passenger is a great camping vehicle. Yes it's large. But they tow any camper we are talking about on this site with ease and have tons and tons of room.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

You can possibly look into a Toyota 4 runner with a 3rd row seating, but keep in mind there will be very very limited gear storage when utalizing the 3rd row and I was told
    the 3rd row is very uncomfortable for longer legged people. It has a tow capacity of 5000 however I personally wouldn't want to tow much more than a 3500 popup in the mountains.

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

So, fun piece of trivia, a Suburban and Expedition EL, which by the way other than a full size van are likely the only vehicle that fit your criteria, are on the exact same chassis and are the exact same size as the Chevy 1500 crew cab short bed or F-150 counterpart. So saying you don’t want a Suburban/Expedition EL “tank” but DO want an F-150, makes absolutely no sense at all. FYI, the pickups DO come with bench seats and WILL seat 6 if you insist on following that train of thought, but they will not be anywhere near as comfortable. Good luck with your decision

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Raycfe, JustRelax, Rik Peery and 2 others like this.
  7. scubacamper

What I'm looking for I suspect doesn't exist. I have looked at a 4-Runner but the storage is very limited. It sounds like I will need to get myself something just for the 4 of us (like an F-150 with a capper or 4-Runner) and then something like another mini-van for the DW to do her GS and family stuff.

8. RockyRoo

It’s really kinda surprising how many people run into this problem. Unfortunately when you have 3+ kids your options quickly run thin and get very expensive quickly. I will tell you, and I had one for 10 years as a daily driver, the Suburban sized vehicle is not as bad as most people want to think they are. I never had a single problem with mine due to size. As I said before, it’s the same size as a standard 1/2 ton pickup. Unless for some reason you really need the bed space in the pickup there isn’t much you can do with it that you can’t do with a Suburban or something similar. On the flip side, with a “Suburban” you can comfortably carry 7-9 (if they still offer the front bench) people very comfortably and their stuff too. Everything has its pros and cons, I would start making a 2 column list and see if it really makes sense to buy 2 vehicles or just one that can do both jobs and will outlive any minivan on the market.

neighbormike likes this.
  9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Do they make anything similar to the ford full sized economy vans they used to have? The one we had when I was young could tow a popup, but not much else. Mom was a Girl Scout leader and used it all the time. Even had room for some smaller gear in the back.

FARfetched likes this.
  10. RockyRoo

They make the Transit vans, but they are very rare to find in a window version. My neighbors across the street actually have one, but you don’t see many, would probably have to be custom ordered. Not sure if GM or Chrysler offer them anymore, I think Nissan offers one and people really seem to like the Nissan. The Fords tend to get mixed reviews

11. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

We have ford transit vans at work, both in cargo and 12 and 15 passenger versions, they run good. But I feel cramped in them. Sorta like the cab of a tundra vs a ram Tundras are nice however the cabs are small in my opinion. The passenger transits are the same, much more roomy feel in a Chevy express . Wow wouldn’t be it be great if you could find a mint condition station wagon ,especially with the flip up rear facing seats, Boy I miss those. My parents always had one. As a kid

neighbormike and RockyRoo like this.
  12. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

My sister went from a town and country to a Chevy traverse. She’s happy with it. Smaller platform of that of a suburban. Foldable 3rd row seating. And a well equipped will tow 5500 ibs if I’m correct

1380ken and scubacamper like this.
  13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

REAL station wagons are out there, a buddy of mine has 4, 2 late 80's square back Caprices, a 96 Buick Roadmaster (yes the one with the LS1 engine and Corvette suspension) and I believe it is a 97 Caprice bubble back. The two 90's wagons were imported from a guy in Syracuse (he moved his operation down to Florida), the 96 Roadmaster is/was originally an Arizona car and the 97 came from somewhere in the Mid-West.

Ok, off-topic here.. but here is his 85 square back, prior to getting new rubber ..

14. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Nice burn out!!!!

15. scubacamper

Vagov, the Traverse is something I had thought of but I need to check the specs out on it. Yes something like the Suburban would work but on a day to day basis when the DW is taking the DD's to school because it's raining (she doesn't like to drive her convertible in the rain) it's not something she would do and the same could be said about the Armada and Expedition. They're more like tanks and tractors with large engines and though comfy inside seem like a big waste of interior space

16. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Check out Kia Telluride. Auto Magazines have named it best SUV of 2019...plus it's got a great warranty. I don't have one. My wife drives a 1/2 ton Toyota Tundra, I drive a full size SUV Nissan Armada, and I use a diesel powered station wagon as a commuter. If I had to get one vehicle to do the job of what my SUV and commuter are doing, I would consider the Telluride.

17. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

My son went to a Buick Enclave, his model has a towing capacity of around 5k and stock electric brakes and seven-wire hookup. Lots of interior space.

18. davekro

davekro Active Member

Also check out the KIA Sorento. We got a 2017 SX last August. It has third row seating which is only for small persons. Has a 5,000 lb tow cap with 3.3L V6 + AWD. You'll have to sit in/ measure to see if seating space (and limited storage w/ third row seat deployed for Sorento vs. Telyuride vs. other similar sized CUV's (compact SUV). We do not have people to haul, just me, DW and two 9 lb dogs. You'll need to decide what compromises are workable for your camping and DW GS needs. Also, if the GS sized persons get bigger in the future (I hear that happens ;o). If the GS hauling is not long distance, maybe having the smallest 2-3 'squish into the back is a workable compromise??

19. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

My brother in law has the 2018 Ford Explorer - I call it the "Whale". Plenty of power and room. I'm not sure if it comes in 4WD

20. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

For days with the Girl Scouts, how about a hitch-mount cargo carrier (I have an enclosed Thule hitch box that works well) or even a small Jeep trailer if they're camping? That gives more TV shopping options if you don't have to worry about the 6-passenger-plus stuff days.