Looking for a portable potty.

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by thrawn5499, May 15, 2020.

1. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

So we finally got confirmation the place we have booked to camp this memorial day will not have the majority of their public restrooms open. they Will have one open and it is over a mile from our site. Will be camping with 2 kids, and am looking for something to use if someone just can't wait. We have a Coleman Utah popup, but want to get a outside tent to use for the potty. Not sure what to get since we have never went this route before. the site we are staying at does have a sewer hookup, so if any of the portable ones can be set up to go into it, that would be nice. Not sure about those bag systems with the absorption gel. I am pretty open at this point, and while cost is important, I would spend an extra $100-$200 for something super easy and not have to hassle with it. I Also need to be able to pick it up locally to insure I get it in time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Twinmum likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

3. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

thanks I will check it out

4. Sjm9911

Pommom70 likes this.
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We had the bag system for our pups, and it worked very well, though I was the only using it unless things were unusual. The used bags are approved for diposal in landfills, so as long as you have access to dumpsters, you're good.
    We started with the Reliance toilet and bags. The toilet was short for my bad back, and less stable than the replacement. We replaced it with the Pett/GoAnywhere/Cleanwaste (which they'd settle on a name) on. It is the height of a home toilet, and more stable.
    One advantage of these systems is that they are more compact for transport and when not needed. We like the Cleanwaste bags and gel a bit better, but the Reliance is OK too. You can buy the Cleanwaste Poo Powder in a canister, to use with regular trash bags, or to add to the standard amount in a bag, which I have often done. I just bought their newer bare-bones bags, called "Toilet in a bag" which is just a box of the bags and a bag of the gel + measuring scoop. In the past, we had ended up stripping off the outer display bags, removing their not-so-great toilet paper, mostly for compact storage. In the trailer, we have trash bags that we can use in lieu of their heavy outer bag. We still have some of those, which have a heavy zipper plastic bag to put the gel containing bag in after use. We will reserve the few of those we have left for backpacking and hiking, since some places require using those bags, and restock those when necessary.
    You can also use the gel bags in a 5 gallon bucket with toilet seat attached, but the folding toilet was a better choice for us, more stable and less of a space hog.
    Our trailer does have a flush toilet, but we make sure we have some of the gel bags on hand in case we go out while winterized or if we ever miscalculate capacity on our black tank. We also will carry them in the vehicle while driving in some areas, where restrooms, bushes, and tress are in short supply. So far, we've never need to resort to that, though friends have, but it's nice to have the option.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CGZJG6V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

We dont know where you live so giving help on something local isnt easy. Check your walmart, Cabelas/Bass Pros, Gander Mountian etc. Also check any RV dealer.

7. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

Yeah I realized after I posted that, it was a detail I didn't really need to add :)

8. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

any chance there are some I can either get an attachment and hook directly to a camp sewer? probably just dreaming at this point

9. Sjm9911

Not that i know of. They are pretty easy to use and dump if you have the sewer hook up or a dump station. After you do it once or twice you will see how easy it is.

10. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

11. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

yeah I wasn't as worried about if it was hard to empty, though I want one easy. I just know the campground is gonna be packed and the dump is not close to our site. any time it needs dumped there goes an hour i would rather use camping. that was mainly why I wanted to tie into the sewer there.

12. Sjm9911

You just tanke the cap off the sewer line and dump it in there, so you can dump on site if it has a sewer line. And get some gloves. There is really nothing to it. No mess at all. People dump them in there home toilets also.

Rocket Don likes this.
  13. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

14. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

This....no need to go to a dump station if you have a site with sewer. Just flip the top, dump your cassette toilet , rinse it out (if that's an option) and then close the lid.

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

Ok now to see if I can find one of those local, if not I might go with that bag system that comes with the tent from BPS

16. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

17. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

And the wife has spoken> she does not want to use any type that takes a bag. she says she would rather pay $200 for the one with the electric flush then get the folding one. I like the space saving design of the folding one. we are always packed super full every time we go camping. might be hard to find room for the larger one. that and I can not get it local that I can find

Orchid likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

No wallmarts close ? They have diffrent ones im sure there all similar.

19. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

nothing available locally at walmart. I also searched Dicks, Academy, Bass pro, and Cabelas

20. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Absolutely not. This is not something that is done even with travel trailers. The black tank must be primed with water and chemicals and kept closed until ready for dumping. Believe me, you do NOT want all the fluids going down the tube and solids forming what is referred to as a "poop pyramid." It's a rock solid mix of dehydrated poop and toilet paper. Not fun.

Chemical toilets are not messy or gross to dump. You don't touch anything and there is not a smell if you have primed it properly. Just smells like whatever scent chemicals you use, like strong air freshener when you dump. When used, there should be no smell at all.