Looking for a portable potty.

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by thrawn5499, May 15, 2020.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I have this one in our shed. It is not electric flush, it's pump, but only difference. We used it for many years tent camping, prior to getting a pup with a factory cassette toilet.

I think Thetford makes an electric flush portable one, but you are going to pay quite a price difference for that one small convenience. Other than that, they operate and empty identically.

Pommom70, Sjm9911 and bheff like this.
  2. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

Ok thanks. I ended up buying one of those thetfords with the electric flush. It is the only thing I had a chance of getting my wife to use. She still described using it as something along the lines of barbaric. Some people.... anyway what is the recommended stuff to put in for the smell? Does it go in the fresh water side or just in the waste tank? Also need the best camping environmental friendly way to keep the bowl clean. I will probably have to clean it every time before she will use it.

Orchid likes this.
  3. Orchid

Chemicals go in the waste tank only. Never in the fresh water compartment. It will come with directions and follow them exactly. People will tell you that they put chemicals in the fresh water tank, but don't do it. They will corrode the mechanisms over time. Only believe the manufacturer and instructions. Don't even believe me, just read the information that comes with it. [LOL]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol. Get the tabs for the tolet, easy. Put one in and add some water. I have a tolet brush, small size. People put down some tolet paper in a cross on the bottem then use it for no. 2. Helps to keep it clean.

Orchid likes this.
  5. Orchid

I forgot to add to my post ..... don't do this. [LOL] You will have to prime with water and chemicals all over again. And, you really want things to stay awhile before emptying and give the chemicals time to do their job. Emptying right away "may" be gross. I don't know, I've never tried. But emptying when it's nearly full is easy and painless.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

Ok thanks. I was wondering if it would be better to put the Tp in a Paper trash bag and burn it. Is it ok to just flush it down? I mean I know you can, but didn’t know if it was better to separate it.

7. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

I didn’t mean I would have to empty it, just clean the bowl and such even if there was no sign of use.... about how many uses do you get before it needs to be dumped?

Orchid likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

Flush it. Use like scotts or a made for rv tp if you want. It just has to break down fast. Scotts reguler tp works well. I would never save it and burn it. Unless i hated my neighbors.

9. Orchid

Oh, okay. [LOL] I think she will relax after she has used it some. The flush cleans it pretty well. With just me using ours, we get an easy 5 days. Upcoming trip the entire family will be using it, so will have to see. They do have a red/green meter on them to show you how full the waste tank is getting. Ours is 6 gallons, BTW.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

It will last for a bit depending on use and amount of people. 4 days maybe for the bigger holding tanks.

11. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

Ok cool thanks. She is going to practice and have our boys practice using it when it comes in. Amazon says Wednesday but lately they have been running a day or 2 behind for me. As long as it is here Friday we will be good. Now getting her to use the toilet in the tent was a whole different battle.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

You could have her use it in the open first. She will love the tent then[:D]

HappyTraveler and Pommom70 like this.
  13. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

Lol

14. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

Ok so I lover her like crazy (I am the crazy one in this instance) but sometimes I just have to laugh at her logic. I am sure she does the same about me, just not out load like I do. Her plan was to set in on the floor of our pop up and every one has to stay inside and close their eyes. Why can’t we go outside you ask? Because people might know someone is inside using a toilet. Which is the exact same reason she did not want to use the tent. People might see you go in or come out, then they would know what you did in there. I pointed out it is no different every time she uses a public restroom setting right beside complete stranger. She has no issue with this, but in a tent? That took some hard work convincing her. I even had to show some pictures of other people having something like that set up outside a pop up, not a normal camper mind you but a pop up and asked if I could find one like ours.

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I just bought a thetford 565E on amazon...$138 plus shipping...has the battery powered water pump to fill the bowl and 4 gal fresh water tank and 5 gal waste tank...Sjm9911 has helped me a bunch...it seems to be easy to use although i just did a trial run last night...i like the water indicator and wasste tank gauge as well...how well it holds up i cant say as i just got it.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. firepit

Ignore my last post...i replied before reading the whole thread and appears u have bought one

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

Wow wish mine was that cheap! Mine ran $186. But I was kind of left without much choice. Probably would have paid another $100 because that is the one my wife said she would have to have if she was going to use one....

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

I think they are a in demand item now. At least you have one coming.

19. Sjm9911

I will say if it wasnt for people here i would never have used mine. Others convinced me it wasnt bad. And , it wasnt. It atually made life easy. Lots of truckers and such use them also. Try it , youll like it. So its all about the people here making this magic moment happen.

HappyTraveler and firepit like this.
  20. firepit

They must be in demand...when i was looking there was like 7 pages of them...i went on last night and like 2 pages was all....i ordered a 4 gal water container to fill mine when i get there and even water containers looked thin.....i bet between campers and preppers they are flying off the shelves

Sjm9911 likes this.