Looking for a portable potty.

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by thrawn5499, May 15, 2020.

1. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

I never wanted to get one. Not that I mind using it, I grew up on a farm and have had to go in the woods with only leaves more times than I can count. To me this will be a luxury item for camping. Not that I mind using the restroom at most camp grounds I have been too. I just never wanted to hassle with one. One more thing to pack and maintain then clean up and buy stuff for. To me I didn’t want to bother with it. I am sure I will like having it available at the camper when ever I want to use it.

HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

If u read my thread in porta potta potty section.
    ...im the same way...they are easy but time will tell rather i puke my guts out dumping it...lol...but with no restrooms open at campgrounds i have no choice...if i gotta blow chunks when we leave ....i will say its worth it anyway since i got to go camping...3 or 4 days of camping is worth 30 seconds of puking if thats what happens

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Its easy, if you blow chunks you did something very wrong and stupid. [:D] they dont smell at all ( a little when dumping but thats the venting but better then say a litter box) . The stuff you add works, some don't even use anything and have 0 problems. As i said try it, otherwise its just you vs your mind. My neighbor even gave me advice on my TT when i got it, only use the toilet for #1. If this was the case why do i need a tolet. Lol. Use it, it works.

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Thetford campa pottie is all you need. Has top bulb pump the water in. Go. Flush. Replace water in bowl. Done

5. firepit

Oh i know its all in my mind...if i get through the first time im sure i will be fine

kcsa75 likes this.
  6. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

To help with any possible mess and to help seal out any smells that might leak from the waste tank, we always pump a little water in the bottom after using.
    I am reminded of a children's book we had when our kids were very young: Capture.JPG

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. penny

penny Well-Known Member

we have used porta potties, the bag kind, the cassette kind. they all work. in our westfalia, we wanted the smallest footprint. if you have the room for it, a taller one is nice. a fuller bottom tank is heavier, but the height and larger capacity is nice. look for ease of emptying. it's helpful if the tube you dump it out of is well designed and built. swiveling tubes and convenient buttons to press to somewhat control the flow out of the tank. some potties just look like they are cheaply made, thin and they are not as effortless. The bag kind is super easy, but less like a real toilet. usually you do get what you pay for. thetfords are pretty nice. I would rather deal with a porta potty than a black water tank.

8. firepit

I would rather walk over to the campground restroom...but right now we dont have a choice

9. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

10. SgtRon

SgtRon Member

We had a portable one that worked just fine, but a separate "potty" tent was not allowed at some campgrounds, I ended up building an enclosure within our pup for it. It was a godsend for those middle-of-the-night necessities.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  11. bcnewton50

bcnewton50 New Member

Hey, if someone has already recommended Lugaloo, sorry about that. We have used this in our popup for years. We double bag the inside of the "loo" and then add about three inches of kitty litter with baking soda on the bottom. Tie both bags and throw away. Simple. I bought ours on Amazon, but I see they are currently not available there. https://www.rei.com/product/876179/...VLDajdjWCwfdPDgvX4RoCW0QQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

What’s your location

13. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

We used the Thetford Curve and it was great.

14. southern gal

southern gal Member

We use somethings similar to this. I buy the Double Duty bags at Sportsman Guide on line. They work really well and have chemicals in the bottom already. Of course, we just put ours out at night to avoid the bathhouse so we keep it inside the camper. It actually is short enough that it fits under a dinette bench in our pop-up during the day.

15. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

Thanks for all of the help. The toilet came in today. Amazon wasn’t late this time. Everyone sit on it and flushed clean water in it. I wanted to make sure everyone knew how to work it. It is nice. The seat is smaller than I hoped it would be, but it will work. I am 6’3” it seams small to me.

16. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

What we used in our old PUP was this:
    Camco (41541) Portable Travel Toilet-Designed for Camping, RV, Boating and Other Recreational Activities-5.3 Gallon
    by Camco

It's on Amazon for information, but Amazon is sold out. This 5 gallon size was tall enough for an adult to sit on with no problem, easy to empty and clean, and fit under the seat cushion/lid of one of the couch seats. We really liked it. We used it mainly for nighttime and just kept the seat cushion and seat lid off to make the potty easily available. It could fit in an outdoor tent shower/potty with no problem.

17. thrawn5499

thrawn5499 New Member

Just wanted to report back. The toilet worked great. Dumping was easy. Almost no smell. In fact the only smell I had was a chemical smell after it was dumped and I added water to rinse it out. The only problem we had was rain. Our camp site was one of the worst if it rains. We got a couple of inches. This made the floor in the potty tent a sloppy mess. We have some outdoor carpet we take camping and put under our awning. It has a rubber back on it. I have several pieces of this and depending on where we go and how much room we have we bring the piece that fits the site the best. I am going to make a runner out of one of the extra ones and a square to fit under the tent. While it would have still been wet, I could have almost eliminated the mud. Thanks again for the help.