Looking for Highly Recommended Campgrounds in KY

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by kmeece, May 4, 2013.

1. kmeece

kmeece New Member

Planning ahead for a trip during Fall Break. We live in Southern Indiana and thought we might like to venture into KY. We live about 45 north of Evansville, IN. We love to hike, bike and get a break from the crowds. We love State Parks and more private sites. Looking for suggestions and possible site #'s too!

2. kentuckyrascal

kentuckyrascal Member

I think the family would enjoy Land Between the Lakes. http://www.lbl.org/ My children when younger enjoyed going there and now my grandchildren look forward in going now. I think you will be able to find something for each family member to enjoy. I enjoy going to Hillman Ferry for the camping and bike trails. They have many trails to pick from both bike and walking trails. Many play area's, archery range, fishing, volleyball court along with a ball diamond. Nice camp store and not far from the North End Welcome Center along with a small gift shop to shop in.
    Depends on the time of yr as to what sites to get. With grade school children I would pick Area A or T. Many fishermen choose C, with the D site are somewhat too close for my liking. Nice thing about this if you get to your site and don't care for it you can drive around and pick another site and then go back to the check in booth to see if it is free and you will be able to take that if free. Also at LBL the have a nice nature center, Home place, and Golden Pond to learn abt the coming of LBL to this region.

3. KY_Wildcat

KY_Wildcat Member

I agree with the LBL recommendation above. Hillman Ferry is nice, it is a huge campground and has all of the amenities. If you are looking for something a little less crowded, Energy Lake is a nice little campground and takes reservations. They have about 35 sites with 30A hookups.

4. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

We stayed at canal campground on lake Barkley. It is a corps of engineers park and it is very nice. Hillman Ferry is also very nice. See my pictures under campground reviews

5. 1951 bear

1951 bear Active Member

We camped quite a bit at Hillman, but it has been a few years ago. We recently toured Hillman and found that while it had undergone some changes, our favorite campsites are still our favorites. I would not select Area T even though it is close to some playgrounds, Area A is our al-time favorite. We have camped in A in both our old PUP and the Class C (that is now history). Reservations would be a must as this is one of the most popular GC's in LBL. Our favorite sights (and we hav camped on all of these one or more times) are 60,61,62, 48 & 49. 52 is also a decent alternative. the first 6 are lake-side within a few feet of the bay and close to the swiming area. The bath house isn't far away and while many of these sites are elecric only, water is close by. On 60 and 61 I usually had enough hose to refill if needed. 52 is just across the street and elevated affording a great view of the bay and it has water.
    DD and SIL have made 2 or 3 trips to LBL in the last year and due to spaces being unavailable at Hillman on short notice during the summer, started camping at the Canal CG at the head of the trace, just south of Grand Rivers. Their reports as well as those of others on this CG uncover another jewel in the COE playbook. We will be testing this CG on one of our up-comming trips with out N2U Timberlake. Upon their recomendation and that of others Canal would be high on my list for fall camping at LBL.
    I don't know when your fall break is, but along about mid-September and beyond, don't fail to visit the Elk and Bison Range (cool weather early evenings are the best) as the Elk will be bugeling and sometimes sparring as they gather their harems for the rut. It is awesome! Leaf peeping is possible from Mid-to late Oct but iffy. Ad there is nearly always something happeing at the nature center and Homestead. Check the LBL website for time/date specific events in LBL. Also check some of the Kentycky Lake web sites for area events as many local communities have fun fall events.
    Way too many things to cover here, too many things to see and do especially if you love the outdoors. The LBL website is a must before comming down..Caution it can be addictive!!!
    [CP]

6. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

I am jumping in this thread as we too are debating a fall trip into Kentucky and looking for good places to go. We are coming from the Indy area versus S Indiana. Keep the recommendations coming.

7. 1951 bear

1951 bear Active Member

Had to jump back in.
    If ypu are not object to dry camping, Mammoth Cave NP has a great CG in the park. It's all dry camping, but showers available at the camp store just outside the campground. Lots of deer and other wildlife. Lots of shade. Roomy campsites. And fall foilage (if in season) is second to none. There is another post in this section on the CG and likely more info under the national park. If you have children and require a lot of additional ammenities, Jellystone Park is just a few miles away. I cam recommend it as well. Lots of stuff for kids, famil friendly, near to Mammoth Cave and attractions.

8. hoosier_gal

hoosier_gal New Member

We're from Southern Indiana too and are leaving for the Mammoth Cave area on Sunday. We're camping at Jellystone this time because the kids love the activities but we're going to check out the cg near mammoth cave while we're down there. It is such a beautiful area we keep going back. Love the other suggestions too-we'll definitely have to look into them. [CP]

9. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[TV] [HYC] I and my family really liked "Gen Burnside Island State Park" near sommerset Ky.

10. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

There Fort Boonesboro at Rchmond Ky

11. whitmw

whitmw New Member

Cumberland Falls State Resort Park is pretty nice. The shower bathroom area needs upgrading and a deep cleaning, but still a pretty decent place. [PU]

12. boopheads

boopheads I'd rather be camping

If you like the lakes check out: Kendal on Lake Cumberland. Nice CG and almost all sites are shaded.
    Holmes Bend CG has very nice sites and a great place to bike. Not very far from a swimming area and boat ramp.
    Pikes Ridge is very nice. Large site, some lake front. Boat ramp on site, swimming area and trails. No bathhouse [:(]
    Never been to Smith Ridge but hear great things about it. Plan on going some time.
    Same with Lake Cumberland SP

13. TuckBuskirk

TuckBuskirk New Member

My favorite is Twin Knobs Campground in Morehead KY. Cave Run Lake is huge and there is a beach area, hiking trails, and lots of places to bike.

14. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan New Member

The Canal CG just north of LBL is the berries. Grand Rivers and all the attractions of LBL cannot be beat.