Looking for ideas / help on 94 Coleman Chesapeake

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by metalflames, Sep 18, 2014.

1. metalflames

metalflames New Member

I have a 1994 Coleman Chesapeake I am thinking of buying in my garage. During my inspection I found rot in the front sideboard a soft spot 6-8" from the corner down the passenger sideboard and some soft spots on the rear sideboard. The roof feels and sounds solid overhead. The caulk on the corner caps looks at the end of its life and one has a small crack. The center roof seal looks new and was told it was replaced.

Last weekend we took it camping and drove 4+ hrs in the rain on the PA Turnpike. When we set up camp we found some water easily clean up with a dish towel. on the floor just to the right of the door , under the cabinet and under the dinette seat at the front of the camper. So basically across the front of the camper. The floor feels absolutely solid so I don't think it was being kicked up while driving. The bunk end was dry the dinette cushion was dry as well so that to me eliminated the roof.

I washed the exterior both closed and opened hosing this thing hard with water for about 10 min a peice to check for leaks and found nothing. So my question is where should I inspect for the leak and how much of this roof would you suggest to tear into if I buy it?
    The seller will take no less than $1200 is it even worth buying?

2. mdigby

mdigby New Member

I cannot tell you what it is "worth". It depends on how the rest of it looks to you and how well this trailer fits what you want, compared to what other trailers nearby cost and look like.

Having been there with a similar vintage Coleman that needed roof repairs, I can attest that you can probably fix it yourself, if you are handy. The questions is, do you want to?

here is thread showing the experience I had. http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=49794.msg380333#msg380333

The roof is still dry, and I would probably do it again, but it takes some time and is a bit of work. Many people would rather spend the additional money to buy "a better condition" trailer and spend the time camping. For us it was mostly a matter of budget.

If you decide to fix it, I'll gladly offer any advice I can (as will many others on this forum)

3. metalflames

metalflames New Member

That was an excellent thread. The details are so helpful. I am sure I will be using your write up as a reference.
    I think I am going to pull the trigger and buy it. I do enjoy tinkering I was just hoping It would be remodeling and painting the exterior instead of repairs.

4. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

Good luck with you project from Northern New Jersey (Morris County)