Looking for Kayak Suggestions

Discussion in 'Canoeing / Kayaking, Boating, & S.C.U.B.A.' started by NY G-Men Fan, Mar 7, 2010.

1. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

That should make you a great starter boat. Have fun with it. Show us some pictures of it or taken while using it sometime.

2. NY G-Men Fan

NY G-Men Fan New Member

Thanks guys, I will try to take some pictures soon. I think that I will put the canoe on the TV and the kayak on the PU.

3. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

great advice from everyone...my advice is to be patient and try a few different types and lengths. with spring here and summer close you should be able to test drive justabout any kind. Then if you can wait that long...usually between labor day and Thanksgiving the outfitters puts a lot of their rental fleet up for sale if you are interested in going that route. We currently have 2- 16 ft canoes, 1 11 ft canoe, 2-13 ft kayaks and one 9 ft kayak....all are Old Town, but there are a lot of other brands out there some better, some not as good and some as good.....if you can take a few lessons thats always a good idea...I took lessons on safety, strokes and rolling the kayak. In 30 some years on the water I have never had to use any of the lessons except preparing to be safe on the water. But a class 4 is the toughest I have ever been thru and most of the time it was class 2 and under. The time I have spent in a canoe or kayak has been some of the greatest memories of my life so far. Main thing is just get out there and do it. Good luck.

4. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Congrads on the boat. sounds like a pretty good deal on a good boat.
    Darrin

5. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

6. NY G-Men Fan

NY G-Men Fan New Member

That's priceless!

7. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

Rob,
    Good luck with your swifty. I recommend you check out paddling.net. It has been a big help for me.
    -Paul

8. NY G-Men Fan

NY G-Men Fan New Member

Hi Paul,
    You're right, paddling.net is a great site. I found it recently while researching different kayaks.
    Rob

9. 5happycampers

5happycampers New Member

This was a great thread with lots of great info. I was wondering what tandem kayak you guys would suggest and pluses and minuses of a tandem - I am looking at it that we could take kids in it. Again which would be better sitting on top or in??

10. themanfromvan

themanfromvan Van, PA - Near The PA Wilds

I'd always been leery of tandems in that every move of your partner is transferred to and compensated for by you. Then I got to try one and all my trepidations were confirmed. One little wiggle of the butt to get that uncomfortable crease out of your underwear is felt by your paddling partner - he moves to brace or maintain balance - you move to compensate for his movement. Next thing you know - you're in the water.

I only ever paddled a tandem once. I experienced all the above except getting wet. I didn't like it. I had to go wherever THEY wanted to go. We were out only a very short time. I suppose we could have done better given more time in the water together. I just didn't like the unstableness I was experiencing. Maybe the use of sponsons until you learn to paddle and brace together would help and reduce the learning curve.

Still, I'd recommend that each paddler have his or her own boat.

11. NY G-Men Fan

NY G-Men Fan New Member

I've never paddled a tandem kayak, but my friend uses an Old Town Loon tandem sit in kayak. He uses it with 2 of his kids, though he is the only one who paddles. He seems happy with it and didn't have any problems with it. I would reccommend testing one out before buying any thing.

Rob