Looking for recommendations: Algonquin

Discussion in 'Ontario' started by Chrismtl, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Chrismtl

Chrismtl Active Member

Hi all! My wife and I are considering a week in Algonquin this coming summer. I am asking you all for your suggestions as to which PP to stay in and your "why"!!

Must haves: A nice beach to bring the kids (ages 12-6-4). Areas to fish from the shore. Semi-secluded/private site (Not a fan of big open campgrounds) but still electric. Easy to intermediate hiking trails. Dog friendly.

Thanks all!!

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Do you have AAA travel in Canada?

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Only ever stayed at 2 of the campgrounds in Algonquin, Canisbay and Mew Lake.

Canisbay was for Thanksgiving one year, so can't speak much on the privacy of the sites as all the leaves were on the ground.. Didn't tour the campground much, as nephew (his then wife) and 4 kids joined us.. Being the closest campground to the West gate, it is a haul to the museum, education center, amphitheater and dump station. It is also a good hour drive to Huntsville for restocking so you'd want to plan the day for that trip.

Mew Lake was not bad, they do have some really hard to get waterfront sites. Nice bike trail that follows an old rail bed and takes you to Lake of Two Rivers campground (has a camp store, icecream, only internet in the park aside from the education/visitor center ).

4. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Might be tough meeting all your requirements in one campground , might be better off at Killbear or Grundy Lake

5. algonquingirl

algonquingirl Active Member

Canisbay or Pog Lake fit your needs the best.
    Both have great beaches - doesn’t get deep very quick, great sandy bottom, beautiful sand beach.
    Pog has canoe access to Lake of Two Rivers, Whitefish Lake, and Rock Lake via the Madawaska river. Only one portage heading to Rock which is around a dam at Pog Lake if you access the river via the lake.
    Both have decent privacy depending on where you camp. Many of the A section sites are more open to your neighbours in Pog so I would suggest B section but my favourite section is C which has no hydro but great river side sites. Canisbay has two decent loops on the right hand side of the campground that are hydro. My favourite site is 177 which has hydro but also has lots of space for your kids to play.
    Both campgrounds are more family friendly. They have decent access to trails within a 10 minute drive. Pog also has access to the Old Railway Bike trail from the C section. Canisbay has access to the Minnesing Bike trail.
    Pog is my favourite of the two but both are great!

6. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Yes, we do, but only at private campgrounds. Provincial parks and Conservation Area campgrounds do not give discounts for AAA or other camping-related memberships.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Grundy, Samuel De Champlain or even Arrowhead would probably check off more boxes (excluding waterfront sites at Arrowhead, don't think there are too many in the electric loops). Grundy is one of the few parks we have been to that we actually walked some of the trails in... our then beagle loved the trails ( but he was so laid back the squirrels and chipmunks would sit under his chair and he'd just look at them).

Come to think of it, I don't think Samuel has many waterfront sites either.. they do have Rapids that you can take tubes down, lots of great trails and if you're up to it and want something different, there are 2 places nearby in Mattawa that you can rent ATV's from and ride the local trails... Samuel does have great fishing and if you launch above the Rapids, and paddle Eastwards you can get into Trout Lake which has decent fishing.

8. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

I know that you’ve tried to link up with our Ontario PopupPortal group in the past. Maybe this would be the ideal opportunity! If so, do you have your dates in mind?

Snow likes this.