Looking for used PUPs

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Tzlxadventure, Aug 30, 2020.

1. Tzlxadventure

Tzlxadventure New Member

Me and my wife are headed to look at a 2002 coachman clipper sport today for $3000 is that too much? My wife is a loan officer and has access to NADA and its shows that its only worth $1600. But $3000 is par with the other campers we have been looking at. Is there a reason why all the campers are a little over NADA prices?

2. ken1207

ken1207 Member

I have noticed that in my area of Michigan all campers of all kinds are overpriced compared to a year ago. The price seems to be at what a dealership would charge. Hopefully you can talk then down a bit. Good luck

3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Covid had created a demand for campers. They are all overpriced right now. Wait a year or 2 , they will be cheap then.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Also something to note about NADA. It does not take into consideration your location and season. Even on a good year in the winter I found popups selling for $1000 more than NADA, during the spring/summer I was usually looking at $1500 or more. Than again I live in the city, So everything is higher. During COVID time well I'm afraid to see how much over they are selling for. The demand for campers are through the roof right now that even though things are so over priced it's selling.

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

A good price is whatever you are willing to pay. But what your are willing to pay should start with knowledge about what you are going to purchase.

It is also very difficult to determine if you age getting a good price until you do a COMPLETE inspection.

I would highly suggest that if you haven't already, do a LOT of research on pop up campers before you even go look at one. Educate yourself. You are at a huge disadvantage when you go inspect a pup but have no idea what you are looking at. Price is determined by quite a few factors and being uniformed about any one of those factors, you could get ripped off.

With that being said, see THIS Portal section for a start on your pup education.

Good luck in your search.

XKPin, cahoosier and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If this camper is at a dealer, know in advance that the previous owner likely didn't get more than $500 in trade.

7. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Agree covid is the culprit.
    Nada is a starting point...just a tool.
    It may be gem or it may be in avg shape or could be junk.
    Looking at it costs a little gas money and your time.
    When covid goes away it will be a buyers market.
    The market will be flooded with way more campers than buyers.
    Dealers and private sellers don't have to bargain to make a sale right now.
    Deals will be great next yr assuming covid is behind us.
    Just my opinion and prediction.
    I have held off on a small TT this yr for all those reasons.

8. cahoosier

cahoosier New Member

COVID Quarantine have driven many to camping in droves. Dealers can't keep up with demand.

9. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

When in doubt, wait it out...

10. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

And one thing to keep in mind with buying a camper...where are you planning on camping? Almost every campground is packed every weekend. State parks are fuller than ever as well. Unless you have a boondocking location, know that you'll be camping with everyone else thats bought a camper this year lol. Seriously though, everything is really packed and its tough to find a place thats got open reservations, especially Thursday through Sunday.

11. Chris I

Chris I Member

We're starting to look for Aliners as our first camper, and I'm leaning towards waiting it out until next spring. It seems like a ton of people bought trailers this year, so the prices are really inflated. If the economy tanks this fall/winter, and a Covid vaccine opens up international travel, it seem like we would see a lot of trailers flood onto the market.

For those of you trailer veterans who were around for the start of the 2008 recession: did we see something similar? When did prices hit rock bottom?

12. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

I bought our Coachman from a Jayco dealer and because they weren't a Coachman dealer they wanted to get it off their lot. Their price was $13k +++ and I got it for $8100 all inclusive but that was pre-Covid