looking for waterfront in VA

Discussion in 'Virginia' started by BigAdm, Jun 9, 2016.

1. BigAdm

BigAdm Member

Hello, I'm looking for a campground in Virginia, no more than three hours from Richmond that was sites on the water or within walking distance carrying a kayak.

2. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

A quick way to look is to open up google map search and zoom in on the many lakes around the area you want to camp in. Then in the search area type in RV CAMPGROUNDs etc...

This will show up all that are there. Then you can click on them for more info...

The southwest part Virginia is loaded down with many great camp sites with lake lakes...

Roy Ken

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

A long time back asked a similar question. I'm not sure where this is located vrs where you live, but there is a place called North Bend Park off Kerr lake. I have never been there myself yet, but it is on my list. In Virginia Beach there is a place called North Landing Beach. Its an OK place some sites are across from the water some further back, but if you have a kayak cart easy walk to the boat launch. The cabins have the better site.

4. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

5. Wecamp04

Wecamp04 Member

Rvparky

6. CampingKT

CampingKT New Member

Kiptopeke state Park on the Eastern shore is amazing. It's right on the bay and has a kayak launch. We camp there about once a month april-October. We've kayaked there several times as well!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

7. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Active Member

Point Lookout State Park is within your less than three hour window and has waterfront sites in the Greens Point loop. But, it is in Maryland [:D]

8. roybraddy

9. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

GEEZ!!
    We are always looking for somewhere new to camp and Kiptopeke looks great on the website but $177. plus tax for 4 nights in October?? Not happening.
    Not even sure how they got that amount
    Need a lucky lotto ticket for that kind of money.
    That is just a budget breaker
    Back to the drawing board.....

10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

its around $44 a night. not bad. Ventura Beach RV resort is now at $70 a night.

11. roybraddy

Here is a general fee PDF for Virginia State Parks... Douthat not all that bad for camping...

Westmoreland State Park also has access to the off shoots of the Potomac Bay... See a lot of guys at the park bringing in their boats etc...

You can't afford their nice hugh cabins however even if you could book one...

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/document/feescamping.pdf

Roy Ken

12. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Yes Bad
    good for ventira beach

13. 2scars

2scars New Member

Try Cherrystone also, they have alot of water spaces. Stayed there last summer ('17) in a rental RV and are now looking for our first popup to go back and enjoy it on our own equipment.

14. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

what about Lake Anna State Park?

15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

This is a nice state park and the lake beautiful, but busy especially on holidays. However the campsites are not on the water and is a short drive to the actual launch site. However a good place to camp and kayak. If you are kayaking with kids do be careful of bigger boats and stupid jet skiers. They do not always pay attention to where they are going.

16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I like the campgrounds at Douthat state park. I know the one campground has electric. Not sure the campground that sits on the lake has electric. But it has great access to your boat. I would be at those sites with my kayaks.

17. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

--Assuming you mean for lakes or rivers.
    --My favorite Kayak getaway is Lake Moomaw. Google says, 3-hrs 14-min & 175-miles from the center of Richmond. There are four campgrounds at 37-deg 59'08.4"N 79-deg58'05.2"W which offer lakeside campsites sufficient for kayak/canoe mooring & launching. A marina for larger craft too. Large lake! Big enough with lots of shallows where the speed boats leave you alone. Lots of side creek hideaways for fishing. Heated showers, flush toilets and of course [PP]s.
    Now, please understand your TV has to pay it's dues to get there [!]. Also, until you drive it first without a camper, NEVER tow along SR 603 from Bacova - but by all means you MUST drive it and see it. Beautiful!!! If you see a road called Switzerland - you might think, "What's in a name?" - in this case EVERYTHING:eek:! Avoid it while towing or in the family wagon.
    If you are on an electronic leash, cell service can be found reliably while standing in the middle of the one lane bridge where Jackson River meets the north end of Moomaw (SR 603). Another site, fairly dependable, is to stand in the roadway of campground 1 where the boat launch (canoes or kayaks) sign sits.
    Reserve America can offer some insights: https://www.reserveamerica.com/camp...oundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=75447 as can the Game & Inland Fisheries website, https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/waterbody/lake-moomaw/

18. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

A closer campground to Richmond with a lot of options: James River State Park. There are 13 very spacious primitive campsites ($13.00) along the river's edge perfect for canoes and kayaks. The primitive sites are tree covered. They have a canoe livery section [KK] where they will take you up river and drop you off. Safety training [Vo] for the uninitiated. Kayak back to your camp site at your leisure. Google time & distance: 2-hrs & 96-miles.
    web: http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/james-river#general_information
    They also have cabins, trailer and walk-in sites. Nice place. Great little hiking trails. Bring your horse if you have one.

19. RVAcampcouple

RVAcampcouple New Member

I'm just outside of Richmond in Henrico county, Buggs Island has been suggested to me by more than one person. Just booked a waterfront site for mid April in Oconeechee state park. Just under 2 hours away according to google maps, it will be our second time in our pup so we're excited and now on the hunt for a kayak for my girlfriend before we go!