Looking to buy a HTT or TT - be prepared

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Storm Trooper, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Winds of change

I just found this video to demonstrate the problem with crosswinds and a high profile trailer.
    This video is a TT, but is of the same size as a lot of smaller HTT's.
    Towing within your TV weight capacity is not the only consideration.
    You won't be a happy camper if your TV cannot control that 10 x 8 x 20 brick wall you have behind you.
    It's definitely not the same as towing a pup. Be careful when choosing a TV and an HTT or TT to go behind it.
    Minivans and mid size trucks are usually not a good combo with HTT's because of their lack of weight, width and wheelbase.
    A mid size suv with a high center of gravity will make this situation even worse.
    This is an extreme video, but one that you should take into consideration.

2. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

dangit! and here I am with a Jeep Liberty and a HTT! Good thing it doesn't get windy around here and I keep it under 60 at all times. [LOL]

Canadarago likes this.
  3. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Wow, that sure happened fast and w/o warning!!

MPICKEL65 likes this.
  4. gsocamper

gsocamper New Member

Worrying about something like this is the reason we went back down to a folding camper! Love the tt, but too much stress involved with towing, etc. If you stress out over the tow trip, not worth it. But, my dad will pull a tt like there is nothing behind him. Of course, he has been doing it for over 50 years.

5. Storm Trooper

Looking at the video again, it appears that the camera is in a police vehicle and it's slowing down behind the trailer. I would guess the TV and trailer were doing about 60 mph.
    You can see the speed on the right bottom of the video.
    The lightweight trailers being sold (marketed) today to be towed by smaller TV's are especially susceptible to cross winds like this.
    I've run into similar situations over the years especially in New England traveling down a long hill and suddenly coming into a valley where the trees have been cleared both sides of the road.
    My TV and HTT are a relatively stable combination since the TV and HTT weigh around 6000 lbs each. I definitely wouldn't tow the HTT with a smaller, capable TV even if it was within the limits.
    Ford is one of the few manufacturers that limit frontal area on the smaller TV's and this video is a prime example of why they do limit frontal area.
    Towing a 5000 lb boat, open car trailer, is not the same as a TT or HTT. You need TV weight, width and length. There is no substitute.

6. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

my Liberty and HTT fit within the frontal area as well as weight guidelines from Jeep but we are going to upgrade to a truck because I want more power! Hate the idea of knowing I might have to struggle up an incline!

7. wanderingpaladin

wanderingpaladin New Member

The hitch connection was pretty secure though.

8. Storm Trooper

KJ, could you direct me to the info on frontal area limit from Jeep on your Liberty. I would like to add that to my guides in the towing section.
    The guides I have from Jeep don't list any frontal area limits and I would certainly include that with them.
    Thank you.

9. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

I found it in my owners manual under the towing section. I can scan a copy of the page if you want to see it.

10. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Yikes! That's scary! Glad we don't have a TT anymore. And having a Tundra CrewMax helps. When towing our PU, I'm allways thinking about a tire blowout on the pop up. DH says not to worry, because with the full sized Tundra I won't feel much if it does. He says...."Honey, if it happens, just slow down easy and pull over safely." Me, I would be s_ _ _ing bricks!!! [LOL] [LOL]

Campit

11. Storm Trooper

KJ, thanks. Not necessary.

I was hoping that maybe you had a link to another towing guide from Jeep, other than the one I've already put up in the towing section.
    If Jeep has that recommendation, I don't understand why they don't put that information in their towing guides? The owner's manual is after you've already bought one.
    I don't really want to add a separate page for each Jeep every year.

12. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

13. Storm Trooper

I was hoping you had something like this.
    http://www.jeep.com/en/towing_payload/2012/
    To put every manual up for every year and model is just not possible. [:(]
    The Towing guide has footnotes noted, but there are no footnotes explained anywhere in any of the recent years.
    Thanks again.

14. NH-popper

NH-popper Boldly going camping!

That video is a good demonstration of why bridges like the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel ban tractor trailers and camper trailers during high winds. Smoke off the vehicle after the crash showed just how high the winds were when this happened. I wouldn't consider a HTT or small TT with anything less than a full sized pickup and a good weight distribution antisway system, even with the newfangled controls in modern pickups.

15. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I have experianced high winds with a high profile vehicle...its not fun when u look back in the morrors and see the trailer trying to swing around u...just hang on.
    With most of these accidents the cause can be traced back to driver error..to fast for existing conditioms

16. brockeverly

brockeverly Member

Wanted to say thanks for your post here and in my thread. This got me thinking about the reality of pulling a HTT vs my pop up. Now to start over looking at high walls LOL

17. tjcamp

tjcamp New Member

Question, does it make a difference, as long as requirements are met on tv, whether the front of the trailer is "flat wall" profile or if it rounded or slanted profile, more aerodynamic?

18. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I think that research has shown the semi-spherical shape to have less drag than many other shapes. In turn, I think this is why airstream has rounded their corners. I have not seen an HTT designed with rounded corners like an Airstream, though, but then again, I haven't done a lot of searching for one either.

19. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Is it the sudden change in direction that causes the tow vehicle to flip (inertia, etc.)? Or is it the safety chains?

20. Twisty

Twisty New Member

As the trailer falls onto it's side the tongue lifts the rear wheels off the pavement.
    It looks like the rear end is pushed a bit to the right and the front end veers left causing the flip. [2C]