Looking to buy a HTT or TT - be prepared

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Storm Trooper, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Having driven both TT's and my HTT which has a definite sloped front, I would have to say that there is not a significant difference in resistance. If there was a big difference, I would expect to use less gas towing. That is not the case.
    You also have the drag from width of the trailer which is six inches to a foot wider than the TV. The drag is quite substantial compared to an Airstream which is rounded all around the front face of the trailer.

2. papachaz

papachaz New Member

wonder what the crosswind speed was that did that? i've seen tractor trailers get blown over too if you wanna really get a video up to scare people with. from the looks of that rig, he was more than likely well within his towing capacity with that trailer and full size SUV.

this is why it's best to check, double check and check again what the weather conditions are before you go on a trip

3. 1madscot

1madscot Member

Watching this made me think of growing up pulling a 27' Avion with the F100 while dad slept beside me. I think I was 17 when he first trusted me to pull it while he was with me. I never remember the wind acting like that on that trailer, and MI has some high wind areas posted on I75 when you get up north. It did occur to me that the old Avions and Airstreams were quite a bit heavier then modern trailers, as were the vehicles we towed with. I guess that's the tradeoff for better fuel economy. We get less stability.

4. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

I was watching the video on the dash came the speed is at 60 mph when they start to flip over. i help my friend back 2 years ago take his HTT to the dealer it was pulling a brick the winds were at 35 mph the speed limit we were at was 55 on the parkway the speed limit is 70 mph i was glade i have a pop up.

5. Storm Trooper

Papachaz,

He was traveling around 60 + mph if you look at the police recording at the bottom.
    Too fast for conditions, I expect the reason the Police car was following behind him and recording was that the officer expected to pull the TV and trailer over.
    There was a tractor trailer in the right lane ahead of him, that was seemingly unaffected.
    Crosswinds are definitely the enemy of trailers, but especially of light trailers.
    I did a quick calculation of my HTT weight divided by the number of sq ft on the side to see what the ration was.
    On a small trailer of the size, my number was 50% greater weight per sq ft. of sidewall.
    I'm working with an engineer I work with to see what the wind load would be and find out the difference in wind speed to flip each.
    A narrow and short wheelbase for a TV does not help matters.
    Amazing how that small trailer flipped the TV.

1madscot,
    I don't think anyone makes a more wind friendly trailer than Avion or Airstream.
    I towed one many years ago and it seemed like I had a supercharger under the hood at highway speeds, since it pulled much easier than a TT of the same size and weight.
    They are heavy, but the gas mileage was much better on the highway due to the shape.

aaronstottle likes this.
  6. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

modern trailers also seem to have higher ground clearance due having the wheel wells below the box to save interior space. This height can make a difference when wind gets under the trailer. Older trailers are a lot lower to the ground.

7. papachaz

papachaz New Member

ok i saw the 67 MPH the trooper was doing. who knows really though. i mean if he had just come through that wind gust from the other direction, and turned to try to catch the guy he would have been driving faster, although i would think faster than that. but like i said, we don't know. don't know what that guy was pulling, the weight or anything, but really, any given time something can go wrong. if he was speeding, he sure didn't help himself thats for sure.
    back in december, SIL and I pulled my coachmen pup to below Macon for a hunting trip. once we got below Macon on I-75, man the crosswinds coming out of some of them peanut fields were blowing me all over the road, and this was with the PuP. i did see a few semi's doing some serious weaving around too. but no one tipped over.
    good point too about the ground clearance on a lot of the newer trailers. i've seen some with so many steps i was light, man i'd have a hard time getting in and out of that one.....LOL again, where's my old man with a cane smiley when i need him? LOL

8. tmmull

tmmull Member

I notice while watching the video it appears that the trailer might possibly blew the right tire causing the accident. First the trailer leans right. Then there are scratch mark in the pavement showing the rim hit the road with no tire, then the trailer flipped. I don't think it had anything to do with wind or sway, it was mechanical failure that caused the accident.

9. Storm Trooper

I don't doubt that the tire blew, but it is not clear to me.
    However, when the wind lifts the trailer onto one wheel, that would put all the weight on that tire surely causing it to blow out.
    The tire just can't handle double the load without failing.

10. geoffm3

geoffm3 Member

11. dcnchuck

dcnchuck New Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. I drive an Explorer with the V8 engine. It has a towing capacity of 7200#. My wife and I are looking to get another camper. If we stay with a PUP the Explorer will do fine no matter what it is. However, we already decided that if we get an htt we need to get an F150 P/U. This has nothing to do with tow limits, etc. It has everything to do with controlling both vehicle and trailer in extreme settings. If one is out there long enough one will find themselves in that situation even if unintended.

12. Bigpineguy

Bigpineguy New Member

Not having a bunch of towing experience .....this is the type of stuff that worries me with getting a HTT with my Blazer ( V6 )

13. Storm Trooper

There is no substitute for a full size TV.
    The smaller 4x4's have too high a center of gravity, are too short and too narrow to not be pushed around by any HTT or TT especially on the highway.
    Lower speeds are probably as safe with a smaller 4x4, higher speeds are certainly not.
    While the smaller 4x4 might have to power to tow a large trailer, controlling safely it is another story.

14. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

I towed my 1999 Coleman Sun Valley with my 2006 Ford Explorer 4x4 V6. That is as much trailer as I would ever tow with that vehicle. The truck had more that enough power, but if that trailer started swaying, it was difficult at best to bring it back, the Explorer just didn't have the wheelbase to encourage stability. [2C]

15. Briorick

Briorick Member

Hard to truly say, and what we cannot see are any apparent signs of wind gusts. But I would guess from looking that the tire blew as well. I too notice the leaning of the trailer to the right and the skid mark from the rim. From the weight shift?, Possibly! From the Wind?, Possibly!
    Horrible?, Definitely! Going too FAST?, Definitely!
    I know this is an old Video, but my thoughts are with this family. It does send tingles down ones spine seeing this vehicle flip and seeing the person in the back seat trying to get out of the TV.

This is a video for all drivers to see. Cannot stress "Safety" enough.

16. s1120

s1120 New Member

Defently a strong wind blowing for sure, but you know... Ive towed a lot of miles, and do a ton of traveling over the year, and have seen a lot of campers on the road... You need to know what COULD happan, yes... but I dont see having fear that this will happan. Use it as a tool so you learn what can happan, and to learn the warning signs. That was a big heavy SUV, and Im sure it was not at its max tow load at all. Some is just dumb luck stacking up... high wind, maybe a blown tire, maybe something broke on the trailer, or truck.. Also Im SURE that badboy was moving around a lot in that wind, and the driver should have slowed down. So I realy dont think we need to fear towing a bigger camper... We just need to be mindfull of what could happan, and learn what we can do to control it. The worst case can happan... but if we use our brain, and tow smart... the chances of it happaning are pretty slim.

17. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Stormtrooper - excellent idea of posting this video. It does happen so fast.

I've been blown 90 degrees to the road (at 55 mph) in an old Air Force pilot transfer truck (like a UPS truck) when we hit a patch of ice in Colorado. Just driving and next thing we knew we were looking at (and pointed in the direction of) the side of the road, then a second later we were looking straight ahead again. [:O]

I can imagine that a TT flipping would happen just as fast or faster.

18. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I drove from Alabama to California with my Explorer pulling Coleman Key West... the crosswinds in NM were so strong that my camper began to sway. I had to slow down to 55 and it was pretty manageable. I passed many vehicles towing TTs. I couldn't help but smile... [8D] [:D] :)

19. camp dad

camp dad New Member

That's not why I have this but I guess it would be handy to have in a situation like that![​IMG]

20. mamaflyzsolo

mamaflyzsolo New Member

Storm Trooper - you probably already know about this one...but our local dealer was suggesting this trailer. http://www.forestriverinc.com/rpod/
    This is about as aerodynamic as I have seen so far in a newer trailer :)

As a few others had previously mentioned, and from watching these videos, I'm even more nervous to move on to a TT, mainly because of my limited towing experience. I'm finding the pup seems to be too much work to maintain(the canvas) unless I'm doing something wrong, or maybe it's just our climate. Thinking the TT would solve some of my problems, it may indeed cause me more trouble.
    I only bought my jeep last year so I certainly don't want to replace that. I guess more research is in order before any more big purchases.

mama +3 and a posse of friends [:D]
    (camped 15 nights in 2013)