Looking to buy a HTT or TT - be prepared

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Storm Trooper, Oct 26, 2011.

1. RFryer

RFryer Hopkinton, MA

Plus they just look cool! [8D]

2. Heritage

Heritage New Member

I feel the pull of the dark side!

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. Heritage

Heritage New Member

First cookies- now bacon. Sheesh

5. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

When we get a TT, them's gonna be cinnamon rolls. Bacon cinnamon rolls!

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We also have ... Kept cold in a fridge ...

[​IMG]

7. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

I have a fridge, too. Diet Coke though...

8. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Dutch Oven for Bacon Cinnamon Rolls. I enjoy 30 seconds before freezing beer and never get that camping, a freezer would be nice [8D]

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Darkside has those too .. if the rig is big enough ... [;)]

10. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

11. EsCopAy

EsCopAy New Member

We just bought a 2017 Ford Escape 2.0 Ecoboost with factory Class II Tow Package rated at 3500lbs and we are really looking at a Jayco Jay Feather 7 16xrb. Any thoughts on this set up? I'm a first timer as well. Great knowledge on here!! The trailer weighs 2896 dry.

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Whats the trailers GVWR? Dry weight is a fictional number used by the manufacturer and dealers to sell trailers. .. Using your supplied dry weight you will have to be conservative .. take your dry weight and 40 to 60lbs for propane tanks, 20lbs for the awning and 50lbs for the battery plus the weight of any options and stuff you add to the trailer (like spare tire and camping equipment )... and we haven't discussed the number of people in the vehicle. ..

Also a class II hitch cannot handle a WDH system. ..

13. bikendan

bikendan Active Member

go to Ford's Towing Guide. it will show a frontal area limit that will exceed the Escape's max amount, towing that Jayco.

unfortunately, you have a poor tow vehicle for towing a full height trailer.
    in order not to exceed the frontal area limit, you need to tow a popup or A-frame trailer.

14. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

This is the reason why I just purchased a NTU TV (2015 Dodge Ram 1500). Back in October, we sold the pup and bought a 23' HTT. I towed it home with my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee using the standard hitch and a prodigy brake controller. The camper has a dry wright of 4,750 lbs while the jeep was rated for 5,000. I traveled close to 3 hours to get the camper and had to tow it home over some decent mountain terrain. When towing it home, I was conscious of my speed, and watching everything. Now I'm not new to towing trailers, and knew I could get her home safely with that set up... Fast forward several months... knowing that the the weight will be increased when loaded for camping, and the Jeep was starting to get long in the tooth... a new TV was required. I've picked up a gently used 2015 Dodger Ram 1500 with the towing package (10,500 trailer weight capacity), including a built in trailer brake controller. I also just purchased a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway control.

We have a long trip planned in a few weeks so to be save I felt the weight distribution hitch with anti-sway control was a safety measure we needed to take. When towing without a weight distribution hitch you can get the feeling of a see-saw as the rear of the vehicle can bounce / rock over some of the bumps. The weight distribution hitch will cure that as it ties the trailer and vehicle together. We're going to be traveling close to 13 hours, and having a see-saw trailer would drive me insane by the time we arrived.... I was also fortunate not to have any issues with sway when I brought the camper home... again this was with an empty camper... so to be on the safe / cautious side, my WDH will utilize a friction anti-sway attachment. Just on more measure of safety while on the road...

Sometimes its better to spend the money on proper safety equipment (weight distribution hitch, anti-sway control) then on glamper items we rarely use... We camp for the enjoyment, fellowship, and relaxation, and if we can't get there safely why bother...

15. EsCopAy

EsCopAy New Member

Tnx Snow for your help. The GVWR of the trailer is 2892lbs. The yellow sticker states with full propane cylinder(s) and full generator fuel if applicable. The wife REALLY wants a bathroom. Looks as though the hunt is still on. Anybody know of a similar trailer but lighter?

16. EsCopAy

EsCopAy New Member

Wow Bikendan, thank you. So much to know and think about when looking for a trailer. Looks like the Jayco 70sqft and the escape is limited to 30sqft. We first looked at a Coachman Clipper Cadet 17bh but the overall length was bigger than our driveway and didn't want to pay for storage. Then we were looking at pop ups but the wife wants a bathroom so we start looking at hybrids.. Back to pop ups ..

17. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

You could look at the Sportmen (Sportsman?) line- they have some light ones.