Looking to buy- wondering at a good offer for this hybrid

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Rideswithchrist, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Active Member

So, we went to look at this hybrid. The outside seems good, no rot that we could tell, but inside is FILTHY and there are screw holes all over the place.
    It has been on this lot for something like 6 months and has not moved.

We were thinking of offering $5700 cash out the door. Would that be too low? It is pretty much what we will have in hand by the end of this month
    The salesman that took us to look at it did not even take our information on it, would we get a better deal emailing with someone, or walking in again?

https://www.crestviewrv.com/product/used-2004-r-vision-trail-cruiser-21rbh-1136449-4

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I would go even lower. They wont kick you out and worst case is they say "No".

Sjm9911, kcsa75 and kitphantom like this.
  3. Rideswithchrist

After looking at NADA, and the fact that is has been sitting for a bit, I am thinking of starting at $5450 with a max of $5600. I know that NADA is a rough idea but still.

4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Start at $5000.

5. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

I don’t know what prices are like in your area, but in NY here is what I was able to get-

In 2017, I bought a 2011 Starcraft 3 bunk hybrid with AC, new battery, everything worked, and including a WDH setup for $8,500 not including registration and taxes. So a 6 year old unit that was in very good condition. I probably could have pushed another $500 off, but was okay with the deal when the dealership gave me a year’s warranty.

So if I were looking at that unit here, I’d offer $4,000 - $4,500.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

As for the price, its what you are happy paying. I think the 5700k out the door ...... no extras, tax, reg, prep, convenience, etc. would be max.

But before you say yes ........ walk the whole floor ....check for soft spots ...... weak areas.... water stains. Pass it it has a bad floor.

friartuck likes this.
  7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Photos don't make it look too bad. Provided everything works and there's not major damage, if it were me, I'd offer $3,500. That's probably about what he's got in it. As bheff said, the worst thing he can do is say no.

You also might speak directly to the sales manager. A sales guy is working on commission and will want get the most he can. But the sales manager's share will be less and if it's been on the lot for six months, he'll probably want to get rid of it.

Finally, make a bottom line offer. Don't let him accept your offer then start adding fees and misc. charges.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I say always try for lower. It looks nice. Of they got 3500 in it they will sell for 4500. If its really good and what you want you can always go higher. But you can never go lower!

Econ and kcsa75 like this.
  9. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Take this for what its worth...summer of 2013 we bought a 2000 Coleman Niagara popup from Camping World New Braunfels. They had it listed for $8500 and we paid $3500. Turns out they were into it for $750 tops. Ive heard from a few dealers that their goal profit is $2000-2500.

I can almost guarantee a dealer doesn't have very much money tied up in a 15-16 year old hybrid and probably next to no interested buyers hence why it's sat for 6 months. NADA shows 2003 as the newest year for that model with a value of $3900 low end. Id offer $3000 and see what happens. Id check it out very well to make sure there are no signs of water damage, the seals are all in good shape,the appliances all work and none of the plumbing leaks. Also check the tires for the date and condition. Id be ready to do a lot of cleaning and minor fixing.

10. Rideswithchrist

I wish I would have seen these posts sooner ha! We offered $5500 out the door. He said he could only go to $6150. I said it was not worth that and we would keep looking. $5700 being the most it was worth.

He said they would accept our offer. I am not sure if he meant $5700 or $5500 yet. I wish I would have started at 5,000 now! I was just going by the 15% off starting price.
    It is in good shape with the exception of doghair everywhere and screw holes in the walls. Plus it has no awning.

We are going to simmer on it... although it has the bunks in the back, that really eats up the "living space" and there are 6 of us. We can always save up and get a larger camper down the road, this is really the upgrade from the popup we hated popping up LOL.
    My husband does not want to camp with canvas where any bears would be and I want to go to the Smokies- so this one is a decent trade off.
    Now to see what we feel it is really worth since we can't offer lower than we already started at :(

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Id pass at that price. That feels like all the money and then some. If you want a true RV awning thats another $800-1000. To me it doesnt feel worth it.

12. Rideswithchrist

What do you think to be a good price? It is unique in the fact that it has the bunk beds at the back, but it is older.

It seems hybrids in this area go for $4500-6500 in used condition.

13. shfd739

shfd739 Member

The bunks are unique but it also eats up floor space. From experience a U shape as the only sitting/hang out space gets uncomfortable.6 people are going to feel really cramped in that floor plan. Personally Id hold out for a hybrid with 2 fold outs instead of 1. For that one Id be $4250 all in(taxes,doc etc) and thats assuming it only needs an awning and checks out as I described above with in date tires ,propane tanks and battery.

Rideswithchrist likes this.
  14. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

As those who owned a TrailCruiser C21RBH, purchased new, I'd recommend you pass on this trailer. One hybrid bed with permanent Jack 'n Jill beds at the rear worked really well for our family of 4 but wouldn't for a family of 6. Ours was a 2007 model but this one you're looking at is a 2004 which I'd bet has those awful screw locks to hold the hybrid bed platform in place. If so it will also have the older style of flat rubber seal, both of which will allow the trailer to leak like a sieve. By 2007 RVision had abandoned that design and was using cargo locks to secure the bed platform and a much better seal design. We never had any leakage problems but when we traded it in after just 2 seasons there was a definite musty smell coming from the small front storage area. Since the camper wasn't leaking it must have been condensation that allowed mold to form. Trouble like that you don't need, along with the fact that RVision no longer exists so parts specific to this trailer would also no longer be available.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=MWZoaWtjTW5aRnZ0M3NTYzlVODdpemZTWUJXNEZR

kitphantom and Rideswithchrist like this.
  15. Sjm9911

Listen to grey fox. Those ideas make a lot of sense and aee things i didnt know. And i know you want an upgrade bad, but i did say look , look and look some more. You will find the perfect camper! Check on the let go site also, over here in nj its loaded with campers.

16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm with the above that I think you may be cramped, but then again it does depend on your camp style. If your a hang outside all day and only sleep in at night then sure it would be ok, but they make hybrids with 3 bunkends which will open the floor up so much. Personally it sounds like you will be setting the table into a bed every night, trust me that gets old fast. When you look have your entire family go in, pretend your getting ready for bed, pretend it's really cold/rainy and your stuck inside, pretend your cooking/eating etc. Stay inside the camper for at least an hour, it's the best way to get a real feel if it would be a good fit for your family. As far as cost that entirely depends on your area and season. My area is really expensive so I'm not a good judge on price.

17. Sjm9911

They had a pop up and that was getting cramped for the familly. We need to find them options with 3 bunkhouse and queen bed. I cant find any as I'm a bit technology challanged. But if they have makes and models , i think it would be easier to find. Foe me anyway..

18. Rideswithchrist

Yup, the more we sat and thought about it, the more we think we need to just commit to a TT with bunks, or a Hybrid with tent beds and all the more room, I mean, worse case, we can toss a cot on the floor :p

19. Rideswithchrist

Are you also a member of the Disboards Fort Wilderness forum? your name looks famililar:)

Yes, the popup we outgrew and rather than get a larger one, we decided to get a hybrid so we could also use it as an extra guest room- our house is only 1200 ft sq.

REALLY, we want an Avion but that will have to wait.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  20. Sjm9911

Yes, you found me out.......:D

Rideswithchrist likes this.