Looks like we joined the club! 93 Coleman Destiny!

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Morgan23, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

So excited and nervous at the same time...we just got back from closing the deal on a 93 Coleman Destiny Royale! [8D] [8D] It's in really good condition for an almost 20yr old camper. A little dusty and spiderwebby from being in storage but otherwise solid. No water damage as far as we could see, and supposedly the tenting was replaced a few years ago because it actually looks very new....still has that 'peachy' feel to it. Brand new stove and sink along with a new rebuilt cabinet thanks to the previous owner. Roof was in excellent condition, aside from one small hole (about 1.5 in long) where supposedly a neighbor's kid hit the side with a stick while it was closed up. You can see a little bit of the foam but it looks dry...I think we can just fix this with Bondo? Here's a couple of pics:
    [​IMG][/url]
    93 Coleman destiny royale by shizzknits, on Flickr[/img]
    [​IMG]
    inside by shizzknits, on Flickr

The guy we bought it from mostly sells and rents coaches so he was selling it for a friend and just wanted this off his lot. He had listed it on Craigslist for $1200. I called last night about 45 min after his posted and was already the second person who was coming to see it! We went and looked at it this morning and he said he had a full voicemail box from everyone calling! The first couple who was looking at it passed because it was the very first pup they looked at. They were asking my opinion and I was trying to be honest but not TOO honest cuz WE wanted to buy it LOL!!! Anyways, the seller was super nice and since he's a dealer he's going to detail it (pressure wash oustide, clean inside), repaint the chipped black bumper and tongue, top off and paint the propane tank, and give us a new battery, as well as running an overall safety check to make sure every little thing works. OH! And thanks to my education here on the Portal, I asked about the tires/bearings and he said he would have the bearings repacked and greased, no charge. Plus we could buy new tires and have them mounted with no markup cuz they have to be take off anyways for the bearings. [A]

It's going to take about a week to get this all done, which is perfect cuz we are STILL waiting on the tow package I ordered from Etrailers. A couple of questions:
    It is missing the heater...there's a spot for it under the dinette...is that something easy to replace? We are fairly handy...
    The listed weight for the Royale is approx 1275lbs....we are thinking it will be no more than 1800 or 2000lbs fully loaded....but it has no brakes??? There's a flat four pin connector so I think that means no electric brakes, right? Can we add electric brakes if we need them?
    I'm sure we will have more questions, but right now are super excited....kids have already decided they want to do Camp Driveway as soon as we get the pup home, HOA be damned [}:)]

2. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Congrats! Great pic! Great deal!

3. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

Sounds like you found a keeper. Congratulations!

4. JamesRL

JamesRL New Member

I'm the third owner of a 1991 Coleman Roanoke Royale - same camper as you.

Mine didn't have the furnace either. We use a ceramic heater, when it is cold we make sure we get an electrical site.

I haven't added brakes, but when I changed wheeels, I did note the axle could mount brakes, so its fair to say you could have them installed. They were optional when it was new.

You got a great deal, mine was twice as much and not as nice.

5. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Well have fun and happy camping

6. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

Yay congrats to you.
    [CP]

7. Yukon Jake

Yukon Jake New Member

I bought a '94 Roanoke in February. You got a fantastic deal.

I bought a portable Coleman propane heater for use in winter time (which can hover right around freeaing in the mountains here in California), and it made a huge difference.

Happy camping!

8. ken in md

ken in md New Member

Welcome - looks like you got yourself a good deal! Looks well kept. You will enjoy it.

9. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Your pictures show the bunkend supports going down to the ground. That doesn't look right to me. They should be attached to the frame or bumper, I think...
    Congrats on the NTU. Looks really nice.

10. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

Congratulations on getting yourself a great deal for you and the kids. I got really excited for you while reading your post. I can tell you are too!

11. Dunkles

Dunkles Member

Congratulations! You did get a great deal. I can tell you and your family are going to make lots of happy memories!

12. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Sweet, yes, let the memories begin. Nice NYU Pup [8D]

13. Craig57

Craig57 New Member

Looks like a sweet deal to me!!! Plus getting the extras is great!.
    I do agree with Campfreak about the set-up.
    Your son looks like he is ready for the shake-down trip.
    Happy camping.
    Craig

14. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

Thanks for the good wishes everyone....and thanks for those who pointed out the wrong set up on the front bunk. DH asked about that and turns out the extra bunk supports were in the pup and that it had been setup by someone not familiar with this particular camper. And of course no one had a manual! [RTM]

I found and downloaded the Coleman manual, which will help a lot I'm sure! We can't wait to get out and do some camping!!!

15. eklez

eklez New Member

Congratulations, she is very clean!

16. Rockwood Ron

Rockwood Ron New Member

Look like my old one i just sold mine for the same price and got an upgrade lot s of fun easy to tow i wouldn't worry about brakes, not that heavy bearing buddies yes Happy Camping. [:)C]

17. zendecat

zendecat Member

Congratulations on the NTU Pup. Looks Great! It's wonderful that the kids can't wait to try it out. Hope your family has many years of camping fun in it. [:D]

18. Morgan23

Morgan23 Member

Rockwood Ron, what are bearing buddies?? Hmmm I guess I need more [RTM] ! [8D] I'm surprised at how light the pup is for its size, but then it doesn't have all the fancy stuff newer pups have. Which is fine because we come from a very minimal style of tent camping (well, as minimal as you can get with two kids hah!). I'm just paranoid about towing I guess...I've never pulled a trailer before and it's likely that I will be the driver 90% of the time since it's my minivan that's pulling. I'm not so worried we can't pull the pup...but I want to make sure we can safely stop in any situation.

DH says we should get Casper the Camper home, load him up and do some real world driving to see if we are comfortable with the braking distances. So that's probably what we will end up doing...but it's nice to know that if we need to, we can add brakes.

19. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

Very nice camper! Congratulations!

20. 2jazzy

2jazzy New Member

Congrats and happy camping!