Lost my front storage lid!!!

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Glitch11, May 13, 2020.

1. Glitch11

Glitch11 New Member

Hi all! I'm new to the RV world and just purchased a 1996 coleman yukon. On the ride to bring it home we lost the front storage lid. How can I (a not very handy person) make a makeshift one until i can find (afford) a suitable replacement

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Since you now own an orphan trailer that no longer has factory support the bigger question is where are you going to source a replacement lid? Coleman Popup Parts does sell a generic replacement but at $390 USD plus custom crating & shipping it won't be cheap solution, especially for a 25 yr old camper. [:O]

Glitch11 likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Welcome.png

Not being handy is going to be the problem. Even with a new lid it will not be a simple bolt on.

Glitch11 likes this.
  4. JustRelax

JustRelax Well-Known Member

I’d start by retracing my trip home, it might be salvageable and likely still on the side of the road.

Glitch11, Orchid, Kampus and 3 others like this.
  5. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Well you have some choices based on your priorities. If you want secure, watertight, you will likely be paying more than you paid for the pup.

A tarp is probably not a good long term solution, especially when travelling down the road in the rain which will eventually happen.

Could you post a picture? I'm designing in my head a small bracket and metal roofing that would fit over and hopefully not catch the wind too bad. IIRC that compartment could leak into the flooring and cause a bigger issue.

Glitch11 likes this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

You can possibly try and go to a junkyard to see if there if there is perhaps something there. Or see if someone is parting out a popup with a trunk.
    However those lids were notorious to crack and leak so even if you did you find something you might have a problem with it. Good luck, sorry to be a downer, I found out the hard way myself that owning my popup ment I had to learn to be handy real quick and think outside the box as no shop would help me much less even talk to me. You can check out this forum to see what other people did for a lid and talk it over with friends/family to see if they could help you. Good luck.

Glitch11 likes this.
  7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Sounds like a perfect time to learn how to make fiberglass parts.
    Lol, maybe I need to make them, seems like every few months we have someone posting that they lost their lid.

Glitch11 likes this.
  8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Here's a 1996 Fleetwood Cheyenne the owner is parting out. It would have the exact trunk lid needed by the OP. The original Fleetwood part number for the trunk lid was #4753-5851.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Glitch11 likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Tbh, i would just make something lightweight out of wood. Then paint or aluminum it. Not cheap, but cheapest. Lots remove the trunk and add a truck box or just put some decking down as a platform.

Glitch11 and bheff like this.
  10. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Find someone to fab you a checker-plate lid.....will last longer than the whole trailer.

Glitch11 and bheff like this.
  11. Glitch11

Glitch11 New Member

What about maybe a piece of fiberglass with some rubber paint on it
    I will definitely post pictures as soon as I uncover it, I taped some plastic sheeting on it and secured a big tarp on it cause we are expecting more rain.

12. Glitch11

Glitch11 New Member

I tried, to no avail!

13. Glitch11

Glitch11 New Member

What about maybe a piece of fiberglass with some rubber paint on it
    I was thinking about rubber painting some wood or plexi glass...

14. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

I would order some industrial vinyl online and a snap kit. A little sewing around the edges and the snaps are easy to install.

Glitch11 likes this.