Lost our awning on the road

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Don and Beth, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Don and Beth

Don and Beth New Member

We just realized that our awning is no longer on our PUP - it apparently tore loose as we were driving home a couple of days ago. We're trying to decide if it's worth the 2-hour drive back into the mountains to see if it's on the side of the road. Any thoughts/experience on the likelihood of it landing intact (usable or repairable) and near the edge of the road (not down a ravine)?

The rubber track is still in the C-channel on the trailer, so the bag ripped away from that. I spent too many hours re-doing that stitching two years ago with heavy-duty nylon thread, and extra-reinforcing the leading edge. Whether we can find/repair/reinstall the old one or get a new one, how do we insure that this doesn't happen again? We really love our awning on rainy days as well as keeping the sun at bay when afternoons get hot...we're likely to have both of those in the same day in our Colorado mountains!

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

What size is your popup? With our 8' Cobalt, we never did install the awning. Since the camper is parked outside at our 6000', high desert location, we didn't want to subject it to all that UV, after reading so many issues with rotting stitching. We just transported the waning in the TV on trips we'd use it, slid it into the c-channel when we got to camp, and reversed the process for coming home.
    [We don't use the awning on our TT the same way, since it is not a bag awning. We don't use it as much as we might like, it has to be rolled in when the "wind" hits 20 mph or so. In many of the places we camp in CO, AZ, UT, NM, that happens daily.]

4. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

It happens...I avoid my awning but when my wife goes she demands i use it.
    I slide mine out and put in in the back of the truck when traveling...I have been known to accidently forget it as well:wink:
    My brother lost his the same way...When they get old and weathered they just shred off leaving the round plastic piece that slides into the channel
    and a sliver of the bag.
    About $300-$400 depending on what you need for something close to a factory replacement.
    https://www.hannarv.com/C/6477/Awnings
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dometic+camper+awnings&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

5. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Well, it would be an excuse for another road trip, but a 4 hour round trip with gas and food is money that could go to a new awning, or making a DIY one. Chances are good if it flew off that it was damaged on impact anyway, might have a bent pole, or road rash, especially if someone drove over it. I would only go try and find it if it was an awning set up to use a screen room, and I already had the room. However, I might take that as a sign to save up and get a really good awning and a new screen room instead.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. firepit

I forgot to add...Mine is a 7 foot dometic and i would sell ya mine but the wife would donkey kong me!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. AndreD

AndreD Active Member

“Donkey Kong” you haha that is an awesome metaphor. I am dating myself with that reference but well done lol

firepit and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. firepit

dk.png

kcsa75 likes this.
  10. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I can't tell you the number of camper things, including awnings, that I have found on the side of the road. I live in an area that is a boondocking Paradise. Every weekend there are dozens of camper and ATV enthusiasts going through town heading for the wide open spaces of the desert. The wind can blow pretty strong out here. More than likely I will find at least one awning along side of the road. Most of the time they are too damaged to recover. Another thing that I found a lot of are those square Yellow leveling blocks. I always find at least one. I now have a huge collection of them. Lately, I have also been finding and recovering camp fire wood. The kind you buy in a store that is already cut to length. I always find at least one piece. I'm starting to get enough for a good camp fire.

Wood.jpg Blocks.jpg

11. Nimron

Nimron Active Member

Our popup is a Jayco with a 14' box, the awning used to flop in the wind. I attached a bungee, one in the Grommet of the Awning sleeve, the other end hooked to the stabilizer. It holds the awning bag down snug against the camper. Hopefully this keeps it from ripping off.

12. Don and Beth

Don and Beth New Member

Our PUP has a 10' box, so the awning is too long to put in the TV. We only used the awning intermittently, but really liked it when we did, and having it attached to the trailer is SO convenient. I think we'll get in the queue for a real commercial replacement and do something like Nimron suggested. We don't have grommets, but maybe screw a webbing strap onto the side of the roof just under the lower edge of the bag, then bring it over and have a loop that will go around the upright on the roof rack so as not to drill a hole in the roof, and put a snap buckle in the middle of it all. I had hand-stitched the bag onto the rubber strip that goes into the track two years ago with very heavy-duty nylon thread, so it wasn't old and rotten...just to add to the frustration, because it was a very long and slow process.

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I always flipped our awning up onto the roof and then ran a strap right around the roof and back to the door to secre the awning in place..

theseus likes this.
  14. popup-flyer

popup-flyer Active Member

Late to the party on this thread but I found an amazing deal on a bag awning from shademaker. I have seen several positive comments on the quality. Compared to others its a downright bargain!

http://www.shademakerproducts.com/bag-awnings

15. Don and Beth

Don and Beth New Member

Not too late at all. With the long lead times I've read about, we haven't ordered a new one yet. I don't see prices on the Shademaker website, but have asked them for prices. I have seen their products on other websites, so it will be interesting to see how buying direct compares. Thanks for the suggestion!

16. popup-flyer

popup-flyer Active Member

http://www.rvworkshop.com/Bag-Awnin...Shop/Classic-or-Supreme-Bag-Awning-Size-Price

If you go for supreme then your getting in to Dometic full price territory quickly.

I meant to say if you went back for the awning I would expect you will need a new bag no matter what. You will likely have suffered some damage to the aluminum rail as well from coming off at speed and hitting the ground. I imaging the scenario is one end started ripping and lowering and eventually dropping that low end to the group possibly letting it flip end over end or dragging that tip/end for a while.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021