Lost out on an Apache today

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Orchid, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

It was only up for 3 hours, I messaged the guy and told him I was on the way with cash. I was so bummed when he told me he accepted a deposit from someone who can't be there until the 3rd.

The same camper was posted a few months ago. The owners live in southern Florida and it is perma-parked at a river camp about 10 miles from where we live. I messaged him then and never heard back anything. He said they had to cancel their trip up here, so re-posted now that they are actually here for the week.

Cross your fingers for me that this deal falls through! It's a '77 Apache Ramada in nice condition and a/c already installed. Only $1k. I was so bummed. We rarely see Apache campers down here for sale.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Perma-parked would lead me to question the lift system's worthiness. If an Apache needs both chains and gear boxes, be prepared to shell out $600+.

Orchid likes this.
  3. Orchid

I already added the price of gear boxes and chains in my mind. I looked up the current prices because I wasn't sure if the lift system works and it's pretty easy to replace the whole thing on Apaches.

I would happily pay 1600 for the Ramada. I'd be giving up a shower and would have to have a pull out Porta-Potty but I could deal with that to have an Apache again.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Please forgive me as I don't know much about the Apache. However all the Apache's I see on sale the AC is only a small window unit on the floor. In my experience there is no way a window unit can keep up with Florida summers. Maybe the one you are looking at is different from all the ones I see up here. That was the main reason i knew an Apache would not work for me as I could not install an AC on the roof like other pop-ups and after mom already going down in the heat I was not going to risk it. I sure love the hard sides of the Apache though.

Orchid likes this.
  5. Orchid

You are correct. No way to install a roof unit on an Apache only window units from front bezel. I have never had a camper that did not have a rooftop unit, since we have lived in FL.

And being in Florida, you have a point that I may have gotten lucky to lose out on it. It would definitely have to be a winter only camper here. For $1k though I would have still liked to have it because I am a big Apache fan and could afford to keep both.

I have always regretted selling my Apache Royal when we moved down here. we just did not have another vehicle to tow it with. All the trucks already were towing trailers, and the lack of A/C was an obvious issue.

They are just really retro cool campers, and I have a hard time resisting them. :laugh:

6. xxxapache

I successfully used a portable AC in my Apache for 8 years.

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have seen mounts for a window unit on an Apache that goes in the actual window. Much easier to get a decent sized unit and would cool off the interior better. Pretty sure I have seen someone with dual A/Cs mounted that way as well.

I always wanted an Apache, and looked hard for one before I got my existing pup. I really wanted one of the 2 bigger ones - Ramada or Roamer. Found a couple Ramadas down here, but they either had too many problems for me to tackle, or I couldn't close a deal quick enough.

My 2nd choice for just me would be a 2008 Fleetwood Tacoma. Would be just the ticket for solo camping, but they only made a handful and only for 1 year, and when you do find them they ain't cheap.

8. xxxapache

I have also see window units rigged or at least pictures of it....I can say after owning an Apache that I would not want to attach anything that would out stress on the walls or other ABS panels. That stuff seems to get brittle with age.

9. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

i want to build a newone

jnc likes this.
  10. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

11. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member