Lotdocking with a popup?

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by dbhost, Apr 24, 2021.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Is it doable? How good or bad of an idea is it?

Say I'm headed to a nice lake in Arkansas from Houston and want to get an after work on Friday start. I can get to Texarkana before I start thinking time for some rest.

Just wondering if a Camp walmart night is worth it...

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

In most places, extending slides, etc. is not done for staying in a parking lot, nor putting out furniture, generators, etc. Opening a popup would definitely come under the "too much" of a set-up under those guidelines.
    Personally, given most Walmarts, I would not sleep anyway, even in my TT, let alone under canvas.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. rsdata

rsdata Active Member Gold Supporting Member

This is a great time to pull into a far corner of the lot and sleep sitting upright in your TV... I do that all the time... even in a far corner of an interstate parking area, although the coming and going of truck traffic makes that difficult. I have used big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Cracker Barrel even a supermarket. Just leave early. I even use one of those sunshades over the windshield to block in-coming lot lights through the windshield. Don't even think of popping up the top though.

kitphantom likes this.
  4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

You know.... If they designed modern pickup truck interiors, with the same thought that went into the old Nash sedans and coupes of the 1940s and 1950s (except the Metropolitan of course), this would be a lot easier to deal with, and there would likely be a lot more pregnant teenagers...

In all seriousness, we have slept in the cab of our F150 and been comfortable enough. Sure woudln't want to do it for more than one night though.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  5. rsdata

rsdata Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I got a 2014 RAM crew cab... the front seat lays back just fine... a couple of extra pillows to prop my head away from the window and I can be out for 5-6 hours... I do the same in a friend's 2018 Toyota Highlander during a 15 hour drive to FL from Cincinnati. I am 72 and have been going on regular trips to Ft Myers area now for the last dozen years sleeping in rest areas near Macon, GA which is about 1/2 way. Where there is a will there is a way...

dbhost likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Another option is to find a cheap hotel that has ample extra parking. Getting a good night sleep on the road might make it worth the $$$.

kcsa75 and kitphantom like this.
  7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Only seen a pop up in a camp Walmart once.. seen lots of hybrids ..

8. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I have never seen it in my area.
    I dont think i would be able to sleep there or at a rest stop.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

All the Walmart’s I’ve seen do not allow “setup”. They won’t even allow you to put a chair out. They expect you to roll in sleep and roll out. Now if you were to sleep in the truck and not set up you can do that. No way I can do it through. Lights in their lots are crazy bright.

kitphantom likes this.
  10. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

In our area there is a Wal-Mart and Lowes that share a huge parking lot. Don't see too many campers, but it's not unusual to see two or three tractor-trailer rigs on the Lowes side of the lot.

When we travel, I've normally been able to find a state park or COE campground to overnight for $20 or so. A couple years ago, we stayed at a Kansas state park that we'd never been too or heard much about. We were surprised to find a little restaurant/bait shop within the park that served up one of the best breakfasts we had in a long time.

Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Walmart in Niagara Falls N.Y, Seen a multi family campout going on a few times.. lawn chairs, propane fire pit (roasting marshmallows) , music... looked like they we having fun.. If we weren't heading home and had to be home for DW to work the next day, I just might have pulled in beside them and joined in ...lol

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I typically see lots of Motorhomes, and camper vans. Very few towed campers of any sort in Walmart parking lots. There was however, an old 1980s Holiday Rambler fifth wheel that was in the parking lot of a local home depot abusing hte generosity, It was being pulled by an equally old, and ill cared for Dodge 3500 Cummins. I think it was parked where the truck broke. Bad situation.

13. Rv Queen

Rv Queen New Member

They are many walmart that do no allow overnight parking. Try looking at this map link however since several stores closed I would definitely call them. Also neighbor market place does not although the are listed as Walmart.https://www.walmartatlas.com/articles/walmart-locations/
    State parks rock for pop up campers. Having a pop up is like bringing in a lion to a laundry mat. People can't help but oggle at you. Wishing you the best adventure. Hopefully this helps you