Loud pop while lifting roof

eagle

May 2, 2017
Hi, all.

I am the owner of a new-to-me 1992 Coleman Arcadia. It has several minor issues, but one issue I fear might be a large one is that when I turn the crank to lift the roof, the gears seem to skip a tooth. I fear that the roof will eventually not lift, and/or will fall.

I don't know if the 1992 Arcadia was built this way, but our crank seems to be welded on.

Should I be concerned about these things?

Also, while I'm mentioning issues with the roof, the small hook will not hold the roof up, so we have to hold the roof crank handle with a bungee cord. Is there any long-term concern with this solution?

Thanks so much.

Boatnman

Super Active Member
Jan 19, 2017
western Colorado
Hi eagle. I posted some information in the Introduce Yourself section, but I'll repeat some of it here.

More than likely, your lift system needs some maintenance. This is the link to some good videos on Coleman lift systems - but since your PUP cranks in the front, they'll only be a good introduction to how the lift system works and how to maintain the whiffletree:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdTr9d82Dhwdk6Crc-eHJAQ

Here's a link to the Parts Book for your PUP: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...leman_pioneer_series.pdf?16695232820753828628
The lift system parts are on page 5. On page 30 they show the crank as a separate part so welding it on was not a factory item.

And here's the link to the Owner's Manuals for Coleman: http://www.popupportal.com/manuals/Coleman/

It appears in the manual that the little hook was all that you needed. Do you still have the roll pin extensions that the hook loops around? I'd switch the bungee cord out with a piece of medium duty chain.

eagle

May 2, 2017
Hi - thank you so much for your response! I have downloaded that parts book and will keep that on hand.

I think you are right about the lift system on my unit... now I need to figure out what it needs. Yes, the roll pin extension is still there, but the hook ("safety pin," part #7 on page 8) does not hook onto the roll pin. Maybe I could bend it back, but the previous owner implied that he had tried that with no success.

We had a successful first camping trip this past weekend, and are going again this coming weekend. Lots to do and figure out, but it works enough for us to go camping. :)

eagle

May 2, 2017
Cool, thanks. I ordered a door lock from that site last week and installed it on Sunday... didn't think to look for that safety latch. I'll try bending mine, because I'd rather use metal than shock cords for this purpose.

eagle

May 2, 2017
On another thread here, I found a link to the repair guides at Coleman Popup Parts -- https://colemanpopupparts.com/pages/repair-guides -- and I'm looking through the lift repair guide. I wonder if I just have a loose chain.

Also, I haven't tried to get it off yet, but I'm pretty sure my crank handle is stuck onto sprocket shaft -- I don't think it will come off. The pins on the sprocket shaft are bent and are partially under the crank handle. I think that's probably because the crank handle has been used to support the lift for so long.

eagle

May 2, 2017
Hi, all.

Today I spent many hours working on my 92 Coleman Arcadia. One of the tasks was to lubricate the lift system, and after doing that (basically, soaking the worm gear in silicone spray), the lift works a bit differently:

1- I no longer need a shock cord to hold the roof up (see previous note about the safety latch being bent, and my using a shock cord to hold up the roof)
2- When it comes down from max height, the first 2/3 runs smoothly, but I now hear a gravelly sound for the bottom 1/3 of the movement

It still makes the loud bang while going up, and it happens once or twice per rotation of the crank. I wonder if the sprocket is missing teeth, but I don't know how to remove the front ... valance? ... to see. I tried removing the center-bottom front plate (the one where the safety latch is mounted), but the screws are so old and rusted that the heads just stripped.

You can hear the gravelly "going down" sound here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gfsjk0n593mtncj/Crank Down.m4a

You can hear the "going up" bang here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1oz495hvfl38jf/Crank Up.m4a

Unfortunately those recordings aren't very good. Maybe the would be better if I wasn't setting the phone on the frame as I was cranking. If nobody has any ideas, I'll try to get a better recording.

I'd love some guidance on how to fix these noises. Thanks!

eagle

May 2, 2017
Well, what a difference a day makes. I went to the storage facility to take pics of my Arcadia, so that I can post it on Craigslist, and what do you know? ... The action is now smooth, and there are no pops in either direction. And, now, except for at the very top, if you let go of the crank, it spins counter-clockwise -- FAST. The roof comes down very fast. So, wow, that silicone has done the trick.

THANK YOU!!

Now to order the clip, because I don't want to mess with shock cords, when a $25 clip will fix it.

HarperPop

May 28, 2017
Mississippi
I am having a similar problem on my 2002 Coleman Niagara:

The second video is of the crank handle itself. It looks to me the handle is slightly bent causing an oval type revolution:

So you are saying that a simple lube job fixed the problem? I have searched these threads and am probably missing the definitive "fix", but i can't seem to locate it. Anyone with further advice?

Last edited:

eagle

May 2, 2017
I am having a similar problem on my 2002 Coleman Niagara:

So you are saying that a simple lube job fixed the problem? I have searched these threads and am probably missing the definitive "fix", but i can't seem to locate it. Anyone with further advice?
Yes. I removed the whiffle tree cover (4 bolts at each end), and cleaned it all out (there was an abandoned bee's nest and a bunch of grease). I then sprayed silicone lubricant on the whiffle tree. By "sprayed," I mean I went up and back on the whiffle tree from each side, taking about 5 seconds per pass. Then I cranked it up and back down. It still banged exactly like what yours is doing. Then I did it again, and again, and again. It still banged. Then I went back the next day, and the action was very smooth. It still banged a few times going up, but after that both up and down actions were smooth. I have now ordered a replacement safety latch, because my unit does not have a ratchet (it seems to have a brake at the top, but not midway through cranking it up), and it is the safety latch that holds the roof up.

Fless

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2012
Colorado
Also, the chain links looks like they might need to be lubed and freed up. Each rivet (2 per link) is a pivot point and should move (pivot) freely in order to make it around the sprocket tightly. There may also be some extra play in the chain, but taking out a link to cure that may make it too tight. Can't tell from the video how much slack there is in the chain.