Loud popping noises when cranking up 1997 Coleman Sun Valley

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by brdeel, Apr 27, 2018.

1. brdeel

brdeel New Member

I've seen several posts about when the roof won't go down--but I have the opposite problem. When cranking the roof up it goes up about a foot with the normal ratcheting clicks, then starts getting a lot of resistance on the crank handle and makes a loud popping noise with a jolt, followed by a couple ratchet clicks, then resistance and popping. It doesn't go up when it pops--just stays in place, like something is slipping, and it get's harder the more I crank it, and seems like if I keep trying it's going to break something. I've removed the rear end and the plate over the wiffle tree, but I can't see anything obvious. The chain is a little saggy and dirty with old grease, but it doesn't appear to be missing or slipping on the sprockets. My next inclination is to take apart the crank assembly and see what's going on, but before I get into that wondered if there's anything else related to the wiffle tree or cables I should look at. Any suggestions on the cause or how to troubleshoot this would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Time to clean grease and or oil your lift system.

brdeel likes this.
  3. brdeel

brdeel New Member

I'm figuring out how to take everything apart, but I'm new to this mechanical stuff. What gets that heavy gunky grease off easily? My friend recommended WD-40, which I already have. Will that actually work, or is there a specific degreaser?

4. jnc

Brake Clean
    [​IMG]

WVhillbilly, Orchid and brdeel like this.
  5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Also, when cranking up or down on the Fleetwood/Coleman pups. Make sure the stabilizers are not down touching the ground. The frame needs to flex when cranking or binding may occur.

Yukon Joe and Orchid like this.
  6. brdeel

brdeel New Member

Stabilizers are up--so not that. Thanks for the reminder though.

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  7. brdeel

brdeel New Member

Awesome! I'm on my way to the store and then head out to git-er-dun! Thanks!

Mongo71 likes this.
  8. jnc

This is a Reminder for you to Not spray the anything on the pressure disc in the lift crank or you will be disassembling the whole crank to clean it off.

brdeel and Orchid like this.
  9. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

I have a similar issue with my old StarCraft, but I've seen where it happens. it's when the cable overlaps itself on the winch. A shot of lithium spray cured mine.

gladecreekwy and brdeel like this.
  10. brdeel

brdeel New Member

I cleaned and re-greased the whole wiffle tree assembly and it goes up better, but still pops/slips. I'm sure the chain needs replaced regardless of what else is wrong. The only place I can find the chain is Coleman PopUp Parts and the shipping isn't fast.
    Questions:
    1) Does it have to be a specific Coleman chain, or is there a basic standard chain I can walk into a store and buy?
    2) I want to take apart the crank and sprocket assembly to clean it cuz it's filthy, but I can't get the solid shear pin punched out of the thrust nut. The rim of the bedframe hangs over the assembly so it's hard to get a straight/direct hit on the punch with a hammer. Any other suggestions on getting it out? Can I drill it out (or is it too hard a material?), but then I would have to buy a new one--is it a standard pin I can get at a parts store, or would I also have to order one from PopUp Parts?

11. Jim1957

Jim1957 New Member

Does this apply to other campers as well? I thought the camper had to be stable before lifting on these. I have a 2003 Four Winds pup with the standard Goshen system. Mine pops as well at first then quiets down. I have lubed it best I can although I cannot get to it all. Thought maybe my winch was getting old etc/

12. jnc

Ok I doubt that the chain needs replacing. I think your Drive Hub is worn out.
    It is much easier to remove the whole crank so you can work in a vice or on a bench. First make the side of the pin that you have been hitting and when you get it on the bench hit the opposite side.

13. brdeel

brdeel New Member

When I squeeze the two sides of the chain together in the middle the two lengths of the chain overlap. That seems like way too much slack to me, but I'm just guessing. Is that normal?

I also suspect that the drive hub is stripped--good to know I'm not just making this stuff up! I found this video on how to remove the upper crank assembly and am sharing it here for anyone else trying to figure it out:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Yukon Joe and jnc like this.
  14. brdeel

brdeel New Member

As far as I know it applies to all pop-ups. It should be level, but not have the stabilizers down because the motion of putting it up would put too much strain on the system. As Gary said, it needs to be able to flex.

Jim1957 likes this.
  15. jnc

That's a great video. Thanks for posting it. I know I will be sharing it.

brdeel likes this.
  16. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I can speak for Fleetwood/Coleman pups. I don't know about other brands of pups.

17. brdeel

brdeel New Member

Final Conclusion: My crank up loud popping noise was due to the chain being way too loose. It was slipping on the bottom/small sprocket. I cleaned the whole thing and added 2 washers to each bolt holding the metal plate to the frame to increase the distance between the two sprockets. The lift repair manual says you can add up to 3. I couldn't get a 3rd one in and keep them lined up to put the screw back in, but fortunately 2 on each side did the trick.

image.png

18. jnc

I Glad you were able to solve your issue. I bet you know a whole lot more about how your lift system works now.

brdeel likes this.
  19. brdeel

brdeel New Member

I do indeed! And now the whole lift system has been cleaned and re-greased with the correct greases. It was an exercise in trial and error but I feel so much more confident about continuing to own and fix it.

brainpause, bols2Dawall and jnc like this.
  20. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

I bet BR knows more than most about this lift system

brdeel likes this.