Loud/Vibrating AC

Agent27

Jun 10, 2020
Our Free Jayco Eagle has spent its whole life outside. Somewhere along the way the AC shroud was destroyed.

The AC works and cools almost instantly. However, it is super loud and vibrates a lot. I am going to replace the shroud soon. Any other tips on quieting it down?

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
As apache says, make sure both fans are clean when putting on the new shroud.

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
Could be a bit of lubrication is needed in bushings and bearings. But absolutely do a visual and/or auditory inspection and maybe while it's running. KEEP ALL USEABLE BODY PARTS CLEAR. But sometimes I have use the ear to follow the sound to the source.

And it depends upon what kind of a sound it is. Does it sound just loud and thumpy (a fan blade hitting a duct) or is it more like squealing metal? Etc.

Agent27

Jun 10, 2020
Could be a bit of lubrication is needed in bushings and bearings. But absolutely do a visual and/or auditory inspection and maybe while it's running. KEEP ALL USEABLE BODY PARTS CLEAR. But sometimes I have use the ear to follow the sound to the source.

And it depends upon what kind of a sound it is. Does it sound just loud and thumpy (a fan blade hitting a duct) or is it more like squealing metal? Etc.

Most of the noise is from vibration. It may just need a new gasket and to be tightened down.

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
Let me know if gaskets are worth real money in the supply chain craziness of current times. I have two spares on the shelf in the shop. They could be the source of funding for my next project.

MohicanJeff

Nov 28, 2019
The shroud actually directs air through the condenser coil. Without it the head pressure would be much higher with the system working much harder. Get the shroud before using again and as others mentioned, spin the blades by hand and look for wobble.

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
Unplug the power cord 😮⚡🤪

Seriously, it should just be the mounting bolts and the electrical connection to deal with. Are you replacing the motor AND the fan blades, or just the fan blades? Just thinking about it, I would be tempted to remove the motor and go to the work bench with it if the fan blades have to come off. It's not the most fun sitting on the roof to do this kind of work. It really depends on just how that stuff is held together.

Agent27

Jun 10, 2020
Unplug the power cord 😮⚡🤪

Seriously, it should just be the mounting bolts and the electrical connection to deal with. Are you replacing the motor AND the fan blades, or just the fan blades? Just thinking about it, I would be tempted to remove the motor and go to the work bench with it if the fan blades have to come off. It's not the most fun sitting on the roof to do this kind of work. It really depends on just how that stuff is held together.

Just the fan itself. Looks like there is a screw to loosen it up and pull it out. I guess we'll see.