Louisiana - St. Bernard State Park or Bayou Segnette State Park

Discussion in 'Louisiana' started by BrendaD1123, Aug 26, 2009.

1. BrendaD1123

BrendaD1123 Toronto, Ontario, Canada

DH and I are headed down to Florida and Louisiana at the beginning of February next year (we'll be there the week before Mardi Gras). We're looking at the above 2 state parks as both are fairly close to New Orleans.

Has anyone stayed at either or both and can recommend one over another? We will be camping in a tent. Both state parks look good to us online, but there are no pictures of the campsites and we are wondering if anyone had any feedback. Are they spaced far enough apart for privacy? Does either park have more of a natural environment over the other? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

2. carolsaucier

carolsaucier just the 2 of us

don't know about campgrounds, do have a question? Are you familiar with La at all? If not please know that Mardi Gras time is weather weird. Either cold, and wet or moderate and wet. Either way ground is going to damp. be prepared. Grew up in south La, always humid.

Either way have a ball at Mardi Gras. Everybody should see it at least once.

3. BrendaD1123

I didn't know that, thank you. Hmmmm.......maybe we should just stay in Florida, lol. We aren't actually going for Mardi Gras, we'll be there the week before.

4. carolsaucier

as a Florida resident I can tell you temps are generally nice at that time of year. State so long there are several different climates. In panhandle (lived there 25 years) Feb can have both record highs and record lows in same week. Generally light jacket weather. Central where I am now most Febs really comfy. Sweats at most. We usually have doors open during most of Feb and it is our dry season.

5. BrendaD1123

Sounds good!!! I've never been to Florida at that time of year so I'm really looking forward to it. I have been in August though! [:O] Yikes! LOL!

6. carolsaucier

Florida not as bad as Louisiana in August.....

7. MissLou

MissLou Member

Louisiana might be cold and rainy in February, but it could just as well be warm and sunny. Yep, weather is weird here and you never know what to expect during the winter months.

8. jnjsawyer

jnjsawyer New Member

I grew up in South Louisiana but live in North Louisiana now. Spring is my favorite time of year weather wise. The week before Mardi Gras is probably a really good time to visit near New Orleans. There will be parades and folks will be gearing up for that general Mardi Gras spirit. You would need to be prepared for wet, possibly cold weather. But, that's just as likely as cool, sunny weather. Also, please understand that "cold" in South Louisiana is not "cold" that others think of. It rarely snows and it hardly ever freezes. It's probably not going to be Florida weather, but then, what is? Just don't let the possibility scare you off.

Oh and let us know what you think of the parks you're looking at. I haven't been to either of them and would be interested.

9. BrendaD1123

Thank you for your help. Yes, "cold" to me is -25 with 2 feet of snow, LOL!