Louvered Cover Flew off on Highway

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Nani2, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

As we were driving home today, a square black vented cover flew off. My husband thought he had seen our license plate fly off. We pulled over and it was there and I checked every thing around the door side and thinking it was someone else's stuff we went on. An hour later at home we see that something is missing on the other side. Yep I'm kicking myself for not looking over there but to be honest I wouldn't have run onto I-75 to retrieve it if I had known.
    It was on the slideout area and I'm guessing relates to hot water heater. That sits under one of the dinette seats right there. I think the black louvered area also had a silver metal screen area on part of it. It's probably about 10"x10".
    How do I get this replaced and if I call Forest River, what part is it that I ask about? Do I go through dealer or direct with FR? It's from a 2018 Flagstaff 228D.
    TIA

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I think you're on the right track calling Forest River. Is it still under warranty? They may replace it. These louvered covers use some pretty sad fasteners.

3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

4. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I saw a post, maybe 2 months ago, where a member had changed his covered cover fasteners. I think to quarter turn metal fasteners.