Low carb/Keto camp foods

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by mybrewery, Sep 23, 2019.

1. mybrewery

mybrewery New Member

Any low carb campers here? Would love to hear what you pack for snacks and quick bites and what meals you cook while camping. We are so protein heavy it gets boring fast even just over a weekend so I need some fresh ideas!
    We have 3 teen sons that when we camp get more carbs then at home so they soak up every bag of chips or bread item they can while camping. That’s okay but DH and I really need better (prefer grain free due to inflammation issues) options.

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Oh boy, lol. I love Keto but this has the potential to be an interesting subject.
    You say you are protein heavy, I would drop protein and get more fats (not sure about your macros). We always eat out for dinner when we camp. I never have trouble finding good fresh menu items while traveling. For breakfast we usually do bacon and eggs. I make Keto friendly pancakes from time to time as well. Lunch I just do lunch meats and cheese, avocados or a salad. Snack on almonds and pork rinds. I have Pinterst account that is full of ideas.
    My kids are younger and growing and I dont hold them to my standard of eating. Sometimes a bowl of Capt'n crunch or doughnuts is what they want and I gladly let them.

3. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Steak. Bacon. Eggs. Sausage. That's getting boring? Camping is the best, most awesome thing for keto! I'm 300 -> 200 on keto, and still lovin' it.

mybrewery likes this.
  4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Keto eater here and hard boiled eggs are a mainstay of my diet. I also eat a lot of taco meat with cheese melted on it, both camping and home. I make big batches of taco meat and freeze in chunks just the size I want to heat up.

I've always been a boring eater, so don't need a lot of variety.

mybrewery likes this.
  5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Miller Lite is low carb.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Mike be careful of the lite beer, you may lose so much weight that you will have to run around in the shower to get wet :)

7. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Michelob Ultra is low carb.

8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

And low taste. Losing too much weight has not been an issue here...

9. Econ

Econ Active Member

We are OMAD 'ers. Totally no snacks. Lunch is our feast. It takes a while to get used to. We eat to the point of slight discomfort. We have a 3.0 CF refrig.

For trail food we take Walnuts and Pecans with Himalayan salt.

HAve you tried olives? Bullet proof coffee? Coconut oil? Kerry Gold Butter?

mybrewery likes this.
  10. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Michelob Ultra 1.6 Carbs, Legunitas Daytime IPA 3 Carbs, Kona Kanaha Ale 4 Carbs. We have been on Keto for 6 months Wife has lost 29 LBS I have lost 19LBS and 5 inches around the waist breakfast will be 1 hard-boiled egg and a couple sausage links. Lunch varies from a couple smoked sausages to grilled chicken salad with blue cheese dressing for the fat. Camping we snack on dried sausages cheese, canned fish canned artichokes lots of things out there that are low carb just need to take in more fat like avocados.

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

vegi sticks, string cheese, and handful of trail mix are my only snacks I eat. Apple sauce is also something else I keep on hand although don’t bring that camping with me often.

12. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Yes but it's not as good as beer.

13. mybrewery

mybrewery New Member

taco meat is a great idea! I didn't even think of taking that. My husband and I could do taco salad while the kids do full on tacos. Will add that to my menu idea list. Thanks!

Orchid likes this.
  14. mybrewery

mybrewery New Member

congratulations to you both on the weight loss. I'm in maintenance after losing 60. Camping with 3 boys ages 12, 14, 16 and trying to find meal options that will appeal to them and to us without having to pack and cook separate meals. This weekend I prepped foil packets. first night was a hit (salmon and asparagus) second night was a fail (BBQ chicken and brussel sprouts with butternut squash. Fortunately had some hamburgers and hot dogs as a backup. Still trying to fine tune the food packing so we don't end up bringing everything from the fridge and pantry. lol We aren't beer drinkers so at least I don't have to make room for that.

15. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Depends on how you want to define it. I am not low carb per se. I am actively trying to cut simple carbs out, going instead for complex carbohydrates.

So for example, and I am not sure the total net carbs here, but...

Cauliflower crust pizza. (home made, partially pre baked and saran wrapped, sized to fit the Coleman oven). Topped with home made marinara, meats of your choice, and veggies.

Low carb / nearly no carb? Lettuce wraps. Romaine lettuce leaves washed and spine flattened, roll up your favorite luncheon meats, cheese, a dab of mustard, and roll into a sort of sushi roll.

Fresh Fruit, again, take your pick, low glycemic index includes things like Nectarines when they can be found in season...

When I did Atkins, I tended to do a lot of sausages, and just more or less BBQed anything resembling meat...