Low voltage from the Power converter

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by mprachar, Oct 2, 2018.

1. mprachar

mprachar New Member

I am suddenly losing 12 volt appliances when I disconnect from shore power.
    The batteries are new, are fully charged, and I have checked most of the connections in the rig. All connections before the power converter are consistently reading 12.6 V DC. All connections after the power converter are consistently reading 6.5 V DC.

Is there any hope for using this 23 year old power converter, or has it run it's course?
    I expected it to fail at some point, I didn't expect half voltage. Please let me know if it is time for a new one or if it could be repaired.

Attached: Pic of Power converter for reference.

Thanks for the help.

- MPrachar

IMG_5317.JPG

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I suspect that the converter has a problem. What kind of problem? I can’t tell from here. You should check all your battery connections especially grounds.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I also suspect that the convertor has an issue. We didn't trust the one on our first pup (1984), nor the original owner's electrical work, so never dealt with an older one. The one on our 2010 Coleman Cobalt always worked well. This spring, the one on our 2015 TT got flaky. One hint was when the CO/LP detector started low voltage chirping, while I was plugged in. At the same time, the bathroom fan I'd turned on in case it really was gas began to vary in speed.
    We didn't actually mess around with it, we ordered a new one from Amazon and installed it before the next trip. Things have been fine ever since. (Since Courtenay could easily do the replacement, it was as cheap to buy a new one as to try to have the dealer diagnose it - and much faster, given how busy their shop is. He figured if that didn't solve the problem, he'd delve more deeply and save the new one for later.)

4. mprachar

mprachar New Member

Battery connections are all solid. I replaced a couple of wire terminals.
    All grounds, including the battery ground, pass a continuity test.

Thanks tombiasi

- MPrachar

5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You are welcome. You can by pass the converter and wire the battery directly to the 12 volt feed.

6. mprachar

mprachar New Member

Thanks kitphantom, I think you are right. I talked with a local service technician. They said this is fairly normal when a power converter breaks down. We had power issues in our community recently and the camper was exposed to low voltage AC. I get the feeling that may have done it in and I didn't notice it until now.

New question, any idea where I can find a 15 amp power converter that can mount vertically in a 5 inch wide space? :)

- MPrachar

7. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

When disconnected from shore power the converter does nothing. The converter only works when plugged into power.

If you lose power when you unplug, that is proof that the converter works. The problem is that you are not getting battery power inside.

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

When not connected to shore power. The converter does nothen with the battery power, other then supply a path to the fused circuits.

I would look at the wires from the battery both the negative and positive path. You have a connection with to much resistance. It's a voltage drop at a bad connection in one of the paths from the battery.

9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I had a bad connection a month or so ago. It was enough of a connection for the meter to read, but would not carry enough current to power the incandescent bulb in the taillight. It could be a broke wire within the insulation, which can be difficult to find. Helps to have two people, one moving wires and one on the meter to see voltage fluctuations.

10. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

It does sound like a battery connection to me as well. Both the Battery and the Power Converter connect to the same 12VDC Power Distribution Point so your 12VDC items can be operated by both sources of 12VDC.

I always am walking around my trailer with a DC Voltmeter at times readings the battery terminals. When on SHORE POWER they should be showing 13.6VDC or what mode the newer smart mode Power Converters are doing at the time. If I read the normal 12.5-6 VDC on the battery terminals when on SHORE POWER tells me I have an disconnect in the line between the 12V Power Distribution point and the Battery connections... When I read a battery terminal I always place my meter leads on the battery center POST - not the battery cables...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

11. mprachar

mprachar New Member

Thanks to everyone! Despite having changed out leads in the batteries I traced the voltage issues to the cables between the batteries and the converter. I completely replaced the wiring and have power restored. You have saved me about $200 on replacing the power center. Thanks!!