Low vs high pressure propane

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Ed L, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Ed L

Ed L Member

I have a ‘98 Coleman Taos with the “stock” propane system. By my understanding that is a low pressure regulator (it is) and a low pressure Atwood stove. I’m trying to put in a Wave 3, which is also low pressure. Bought all the hoses and fittings I thought I needed and tried things out - which is when I discovered the fittings for the stove - on the stove, the female connector in the floor, and even the female connector outside - are actually all high pressure fittings, so nothing clicks together.

Is there a reason Coleman put high pressure fittings on this and is there any reason I can’t swap them out for (proper) low pressure ones?

2. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

A "typical" Coleman propane setup has a tee from the tank to a red high pressure (16psi) regulator, with one line running outside the trailer to the high pressure port on the outside near the rear curb side wheel. The other line passes to the standard 2 stage RV low pressure (11" water column) to supply the interior appliances (water heater, furnace, stove, fridge) with low pressure propane.
    The outside port on my Niagara is male, I don't know what the connections look like to the fridge, stove, wh, and furnace look like, but I wouldn't think that they are high pressure connectors like the port on the outside is. My outside stove is a high pressure connector, as it taps the outside high pressure line. Inside is supposed to be all low pressure directly from your RV 2 stage regulator.
    Your trailer may not be as "stock" as you assume. Have you traced the propane line from regulator to appliances?

3. Ed L

Ed L Member

Thanks. Mine just has the regulator at the tank (Marshall 290) and a tee underneath, in the copper line, one going to the stove and the other to the outside port behind the passenger wheel. Both female connectors appear to be the high pressure type (the “tab” in the middle vs the circular cutoff mechanism).

Any reason you can think of for me not to swap out all the fittings for low pressure?

C56EC89E-1368-4F51-BCA5-660DA40DDCA4.jpeg 313FAFFE-8C4E-44B0-A47B-EBF417CE2F26.jpeg

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Campers have low pressure inside by code. Outside some have high pressure. If you have a quick connect its a low pressure system. If its a scew type conection its high pressure. You can not put low pressure fittings on high pressure hoses. Its not safe. Some high pressure stove tops and grills will not run on lower pressure, unless you can modify them by taking off the regulater at the unit.
    So , there are no high pressure quick connects. But there are diffrent types of quick conects. You can change them out. Or just buy the correct one. Look for a number on the quick conect. Or do a search for old style quick conections.

5. Sjm9911

Oh, and if it is high pressure ( doubt full) the threads will be reversed like on a welding tourch. That makes stuff tough to find.

6. Ed L

Ed L Member

Thanks. Please take a look at this video, especially at 3:00 - it shows exactly what I have going on (and it’s the video that taught me there are indeed two types of quick connects). Mine in my camper look like the high pressure ones (as my earlier pix shows with the bar in the center of rhe female connector) and what I’m needing is the low pressure. I’m inclined to swap everything out for low pressure fittings, since that’s what the regulator is anyway. Was just curious if anyone else had run into this or knew why it was so. We’re not the original owners but it sure feels “stock” - but I may be wrong.

7. Sjm9911

I think there both low pressue fitting just diffrent types. From what the people that make the lines tell me If its high pressure its reverse thread, if its reverse thread he wouldnt be able to by the pipe at a normal store, he would need to cut it himeself or buy it from a specialty store. I looked for a month to find a high pressure fitting for my camper. I would have changed the ends to quick connects if it was allowed. One of those fittings is probably just ment for more volume. So, think of it as a full throw water valve vs a reguler one. One is full bore one isnt. So the volume you get from one is less then the other. The pressure is the same though. Just less water out the other end. Thats just a guess, im not an expert. But my high pressure line on my colman had a reverse thread on the HP screw fitting. If your regulater isnt a two stage, then swap it out. Less pressure will not hut it. Tbh, i dont think high pressure will eaither, it has to do if there is a leak or line burst i think.

8. Sjm9911

https://www.mbsturgis.com/
    Thats where i got my screw on fitting. But maybe they have something you can adapt to what you have allready? Might be easier to change the valve at the stove?

9. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

I am going to agree with everything @Sjm9911 has to say.
    Quick connect = low pressure.
    Multiple types of quick connect.
    No "red" (high pressure) regulator separating the outside from the inside = low pressure.
    Only 2 stage RV regulator = low pressure.
    Stock? Maybe. Having the regulator attached directly to the propane cylinder is certainly not "stock".
    My experience with Coleman is for a 2003.5 Carmel and a 2010 Niagara. High pressure outside and low pressure inside.

Raycfe likes this.
  10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Sometime in the early 2000s the RV industry went to the current quick connect. The older ones (I have one on my 99 Jayco) are incompatible with current male connections - they lock in place but will not trigger the old style valve. The current male quick connect has a larger interior diameter hole - the older style came from the natural gas stuff used in residential construction and had thicker sidewalls. You can make a new male end work in an old female quick connect, but you have to mod the end. I used the barrel cap or pen end from a Bic or Papermate pen. Cut one end off so it is a small tube and it should just fit inside the new connector. It will now trigger the release inside the socket. To the best of my knowledge for the years Coleman was running high pressure to the outside stove ONLY, they used a screw connector.

11. Ed L

Ed L Member

Thanks. This makes a lot of sense given what I’m seeing on my Taos. The whole propane system is very, very basic and is only low pressure.

I did find a male fitting that seems to work: a Mr Heater “propane/natural gas full flow male plug” (P/N F276281) that I can swap out for the new, low pressure male fitting on a Y connector I had picked up. That’ll at least let me use the heater either by disconnecting the stove or by plugging in the heater outside and running an extension hose. When I get a chance I’ll swap out one of the female connectors on the Y with the “old” style. Then I think I’ll call it done rather than re-plumb the whole trailer.

Thanks for the background!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

in 04 the 'model 5' became a standard for RVs.
    my ole coachmen used the 5lpn quick disconnect (tech for high pressure but worked fine for low pressure).
    One can see the many quick disconnects @ https://mbsturgis.com/natural-gas-quick-disconnects-plugs/
    get a matching male or female or change em all out.