Lowden State Park

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by CamperMike, Oct 25, 2012.

1. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

This park has 2 different camping areas. The main campground is a class A campground with electric and a shower house. It is shaded, but sites are open and it seems somewhat crowded to me. The White Oak campground across the street is where I have camped many times with our tent, and I plan to go there next year with the popup. White Oak campground has no services, but the sites are spacious, level, and well separated. As a bonus it is rarely crowded. You are also aloud to use the shower house in the main campground which is very nice.
    The park itself has limited activities but it does have an interesting monument overlooking the Rock River, a couple short hiking trails, and fishing on the Rock River nearby. It is very near 3 other parks with lots of hiking avaiable: Lowden-Miller, Castle Rock, and White Pines. If you don't mind the idea of dry camping, I highly recommend it.

2. uploon

uploon Member

Thanks for the heads up! We're no strangers todry camping, and are always looking for new sites!

3. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

Here are some pictures of the park from a recent trip May 5.

Our site (Site #22):
    [​IMG]

Looking out from our site; There's very few others at the park, and even in good weather this is usually true of the primitive White Oak campground. Note all of the trees; this whole campground has plenty of shade.
    [​IMG]

Looking another direction. The site we were in was open to the site next to it, but no one was there. Many of the sites have cover between them as you can see from this picture.
    [​IMG]

4. KenzieG23

KenzieG23 New Member

I enjoy Lowden, there is at least a good playground for the kids.

5. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Just returned from a weekend at Lowden, so thought I'd add my review! Overall we really liked the park for a state park with simple amenities.

We stayed in the main part called Shady Rest loop, which has electric hookups and a shower house. For us, it was great! There were about 12-15 other campers there, so not crowded at all. We were in site 16 which is right next to the shower house (my choice!) and had a little more room than others. The sites were all clean, no trash anywhere. Not much privacy between sites, which is fine for us. Each had a wooden picnic table and a metal fire ring with a cooking grate and sat on a concrete pad. The campground is full of very tall, old trees and has tons of cool birds. We spotted and heard woodpeckers chirping and pecking all the time. Really had the feel of being in nature. The shower house was very clean and has that retro 60's vibe. I saw the cleaning staff come both days we were there right at 10 am, as posted on the door. Both camp hosts were friendly and helpful. Overall it's pretty quiet - you can hear a train in the far distance and there is a road near one end of the campground but it was not busy at all.

The only downside is that the Indian statue is covered again because it is crumbling and needs refurbishment. The camp host told us the state paid an artist to work on it and he got the head and bust restored, but funding was cut and the bottom half still needs fixing! There were a few very short trails through the forest that make an easy walk from the campground to the statue. Was perfect with my three smaller kids. The statue is high above the river and the area is still a nice overlook to visit.

6. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

Chrissy, If you go back, take the short drive to White Pines. The trails there are quite nice. Castle Rock is also a nice place to visit.

7. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Right across the river from the statue is Maxxons restaurant. Owned by a friend of mine.