Lowest power draw CPAP?

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by dbhost, Oct 7, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

So we are into October, and I have hardly touched my FSA this year.

Before I lose it all, I was giving serious consideration to applying my FSA funds to a secondary / travel CPAP.

So I am looking for ideas on what travel / backup CPAP is on the market that I could use for off grid camping that doesn't suck batteries dry overnight...

What do you folks have that is working well for you?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

There's one that is the size of a soda can that is suppose to be rechargeable. Sorry, can't remember the name of it.

3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I recently bought a Resmed Airmini, based mostly on a recommendation I saw in an earlier thread. My Dr. recommends it but who knows if he's getting a kickback. I was mostly interested in the special P10 mask with the HumidX cartridge but due to the age of my S9, the S9 has been discontinued, and the fact that my 12 volt converter was acting funny and needed to be replaced, I decided that it would be nice to have a backup. I don't have any camping experience with it yet but will soon be doing about 20 days in west TX. From what I've been able to find out it's power usage is fairly low. My S9 has been fine for power usage over the past years so I'm not concerned.

4. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

My first one was a Respironics that went toes up with no warning, and it was a bit of a fight to get a replacement, which meant no CPAP for me for about a miserable week. My current is an Airsense 10 I think it is. I want a travel specific lower power draw unit than the AS10, and something I can have as a spare / backup. We had a ton of hospital visits / overnighters with family in 2018 that a go bag with a CPAP ready to go for me would have made my life a LOT simpler, and less stressful.

5. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

With the S9 I could leave the temperature/heater module behind and it had good power sense and a reasonable footprint. I figure the AS10 will be my next and I didn't want to have to travel with that. The whole kit on the Airmini, hose, mask and machine, is about the size of the S9 pump module. I have tried it out at home and the HumidX cartridge does work.

6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

So its mid October and my FSA is mostly unused. Just ordered a Z2 standard travel CPAP, 12v dc power cable, and a heat / moisture exchanger (no power used humidity keeper, doesn't make humidity but keeps it...)

Still going to try to fix the respironics. Keep the one at home, the Z2 in the camper, and the respironics in a go bag for hospital visits (extended family elderly...)

7. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

So the Z2 came in last night. The unit itself is about the size of a beer can, maybe a touch smaller, it uses a weird adapter for the tubing, and has a noise cancelling muffler on the tube that is really nice. I got the 12vDC power cord with it, and a spare moisture exchanger. I will charge up the jumper pack again tomorrow and try it out on Friday to see how it works overnight...

One thing that genuinely annoys me about the Z2 though, this is my first CPAP that I have had, and mind this is marketed as a travel / portable CPAP, that did not come with a carry bag for the CPAP and its accessories.

Mind you, there is one available, basically an overglorified cushioned stuff sack, it's not terribly expensive, but I do wish they offered a higher quality carry bag / case as standard. The whole point here for me is to have the ability to grab and go, not have to figure out how to pack it in my bags or totes...

I did test it out on wall power last night, and I will say this, it is a LOT quieter than my Respironcs or my Resmed ever thought of being. I seriously doubt that with normal forest sounds, my wife will even hear the thing sleeping next to me...

I am busily trying to finish up a remodel on the house before relatives arrive for Christmas, I will likely delay working on the Respironics until the new year...