LP heater repair

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by thelmuth, Nov 16, 2015.

1. thelmuth

thelmuth Member

The previous owner told me the heater didn't work, but me being the fixit guy that I am, decided to investigate. I knew that it wouldn't work with the small battery charger they had wired in to power the 12v, but I had just replaced the converter with a new one. Referenced in his thread http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=100374.0

I clicked on the thermostat and the fuse blew immediately. I assumed it was a shorted blower motor or something else internal to the heater. So I pulled it out and checked the wiring in the unit. No problem found.

I replaced the fuse and, leaving the heater out, I tested voltage on the wires to the heater. I had 12v. So I turned on the thermostat and the voltage dropped to 0v. I then pulled out the thermostat and looked for problems there. Nothing. Next I pulled the refrigerator and lo and behold there it was. The thermostat wires were ran between the lift cables and one had wore through causing a short to ground. I repaired and rerouted the wires. Tested the voltage to heater again and all is good, so I reinstalled the heater and it works.

2. FL_Bill

FL_Bill I'm cooking something yummy!

And that my friend is how diagnostics work!

Glad you were able to fix it with out spending a dime on parts!

FL Bill

3. TRR

TRR Active Member

Satisfying, isn't it? :)

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to mine. I spent hours trying to figure out why my furnace would NEVER shut off. Long story short, I found the twisted bell wire used had melted and the two wires were bonded together. Hmm, that would sure do it. I ran a new and slightly heavier wire, and bingo, it worked like a charm.

But that was not before I bench tested the delay fuse, all the switches, etc. Eventually, it came down to a bad t-stat and when I did a continuity check on the leads, well, that kind of told the tale.

Good job! The success is sweet when you find the fault and get things running again, isn't it???

5. thelmuth

thelmuth Member

Yes, it's always a good feeling when you can find a problem and repair it.