LP vs little bottles of propane

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Milemaker13, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

Is it the same gas? IOW, can the stove that came with the PUP be used with the little green coleman 1lb gas bottles?
    Assuming correct connections, will it work?

We're exploring the option of removing the 20lb tank and switching to a portable stove that burns the 1lb tanks. The question came up more as comparison between old and new stoves, LP vs propane vs white gas...

Our pup has no heat and the 3 way fridge is coming out- we just dont use it- so theres no need for gas... a bottle stove would be more versatile.

Any recommendations for a good propane stove?

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I removed my propane tank. I have an older Thermos gas stove, it works on small or large tanks.

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have 2 burner Coleman stoves and love them. Now as for using the 1 lb bottles of propane. They do get expensive and where we live hard to dispose of. I purchased a 10 lb propane tank that gets stored inside the pup while traveling. The tank new costs $60. But considering the cost of 10 1 lb bottles @ 2.99 it has paid for itself twice now. Or, you can keep the 20 lb tank on the pup and use that for your stoves. Just get the hose attachments to use.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

The 1 lb bottles have the same LP gas as the 20 lb tank on your pup. If you were able to get the connection for the screw on bottles installed on your stove in the pup, you would need a regulator on it too. It would make it an outside only stove since the bottle and regulator would be right at the stove. As said above, the 1lb bottles would get pretty pricey vs filling a 20 lb tank. I have 3 coleman stoves, one is a great big 3 burner version . They all run on white gas/coleman fuel and I love using them. They just say "I'm camping" to me! That said, they require upkeep and aren't as easy to operate as propane stoves but they can always be repaired and they burn really hot in all weather conditions. If you camp when it's really cold, propane doesn't work as well.

kcsa75, kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I run a 20 lbs tank to my grills, using hoses for 20 lbs to 1 lbs conversion. In 5 years, I have had 1 hose go bad. Other than that, works good to get away from the little green bottles~!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

Interesting. I like the 10lb tank idea. I think the 1lb will fit our limited needs considering we not camping much right now. And the option to upgrade to big tank w/ adaptor next season is also cool. Still gets us a beautiful new stove that can be used farther away from the pup.

Now, you mentioned self contained bottle stove is no good inside? Because the high pressure regulator is also inside? Is that a real concern? If so, what is the safe indoor cooking option?

7. Steveo4090

Yes, the regulator and tank should be outside the structure in case of leaks. Granted if your lp tank leaked on the tongue of the camper, and ignited, being 5-10 feet from it won't matter at all. But it would reduce the chance of ignition. More of the issue inside is you breathing the vapors.

Inside options are pretty much limited to LP gas with the tank and regulator outside. You could probably get by if you have the whole thing zipped open, but then why not just bring it outside in the 1st place?

8. rabird

rabird Howdy!

little buddy heaters with their attached little green bottle are allowed inside.
    They even stock FULL little green bottles inside stores
    With proper care/ventilation you could use a propane stove with attached bottle inside

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

For me , i bring extra 20 lb bottles. I use them for the stove , grill, etc. Easier for me. As stated, you could do a combo you want. I would disconnect the 20 lb bottle , leave it there and get a long hose for the grill etc. Or just move the propane bottle to.where you need it.

J Starsky and silvermickey2002 like this.
  10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I carry up to 60lbs of propane, 2x30lb tanks on the trailer and a separate 30lb tank that gets used on the bbq and camp stove.

To the O.P. No you cannot use the little green 1lb bottles on your trailer stove, not directly anyways and that depends on if the stove has a threaded fitting or quick disconnect.

kitphantom likes this.
  11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Oh and my new bit of advice , if getting hoses for propane, get the stainless steel braided ones. Squirrels for some reason dont like me or my propane lines.

13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Friends have gone even smaller with a bulk tank, I think theirs is 5#, which they use on their outdoor cook stove. I think they are on the third stove using the 5# tank. The burners stay more consistent with a bulk tank, as they found with their first LP stove, and we found with our propane campfire.
    I have to admit bias towards the Coleman white gas camp stoves, I haven't been all that impressed with either the dual (white or unleaded) gas ones, nor the LP ones. I just, however, bought a single burner Coleman LP stove, for trips when I may not want to take a white gas stove, or as an additional outside burner. For the foreseeable future, we'll use the 1# bottles, since we have a lot. We haven't used the LP Coleman lantern in years, and once we had a truck, switched to a 20# tank for the campfire. [for next month's trip, we're tanking both the new burner, and the 413 (larger) Coleman]
    We did use the stoves inside both of our pups and the one in the travel trailer. We cook outside less often now than we did with pups, since the fridge and other supplies are handy to the stove inside, and the awning is not much shelter for an outside cooking area.

14. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I have a propane hose adapter I use on the 10 or 20 lb tanks. It allows 2 hoses to be attached so I can use both my stoves.
    [​IMG]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Peopleforscience

Peopleforscience New Member

Kyle R Thorson likes this.
  16. rjniles

rjniles Active Member

LP and propane are exactly the same thing. The 1 pound green bottles and 20 pound tanks are propane.

17. Steve in Denver

Steve in Denver Member

I did some research on using smaller bottles a while back, and I recall there being a flow rate limit based on bottle size. (Maximum withdrawal rate is the term, I think)

I did a quick search and couldn’t find any numbers for 1 lb tanks, but if memory serves it was appx 18,000 btu/hr. 20’lb tanks (again, from memory) are about 50,000 (52,000?) btu/ hr.

18,000 is probably enough in most cases, but I could see a 3 burner stove (and even a 2 burner) being too much....

May not really be a factor, but something to keep in mind, perhaps.

18. Steveo4090

Idk why you'd want to go through all that refilling. Just get an adapter for the stove so you can run it directly off the 20 lb tank. It's so much simpler. As the OP said, they still have the 20 lb tank, so just keep using it via an adapter hose. Keeping track of all those little green bottles would drive me nuts lol

19. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Active Member Silver Supporting Member

i have only seen 1 brand of refillable 1 pound propane bottles and they are expensive. sure, lots of folks refill the green bottles, but they are not engineered or manufactured to be refilled and refilling could result in an explosion hazard. propane tanks < 20 pounds are priced at a premium, but i fill a 10 pound bottle for about $8, that much propane in the green 10 green bottles would cost about $35...so payback doesn't take that long. also, you don't have to stop cooking in the middle of meal prep to change the bottle, or at least not nearly as often. and for what it is worth, there are no throwaway bottles added to the mountains of trash we generate every day.

kitphantom and Snow like this.
  20. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have a nice 5lb tank, short and squat. I really like it, and use it to supplement my fuel needs outside the camper. It is also super handy when I tent camp, as I can run 2 stoves and a lantern off it with the tree installed, and takes up much less room than a 20lb tank. The only thing I buy the green bottles for now are the tent heaters that I use in the winter, and the odd trip where I need an extra lantern hanging for the adult troop kitchen area when I handle grubmaster duties for the adults on a scout campout.

I think I paid $50 for my tank. Someday I may get one of those 11lb tanks as well for extended trips, but so far I have not really felt the need.