LP vs little bottles of propane

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Milemaker13, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Steveo4090

Steveo4090 Well-Known Member

That is a very good point about the 1 lb bottles. They really aren't meant to be refilled. Some people do it and haven't had any issues but it's only ok until you have a problem, then it's a serious problem. I have never refilled one because I'd rather not be next to a 1 lb Propane grenade when the fuse goes off. That would be messy and probably my last day on earth. Not worth the risk to me.

kitphantom likes this.
  2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

I always find it interesting that one pounders are sold full indoors while there is a sticker on the door of stores that warn not to bring used 20 pounders inside! HTH

Steveo4090 likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If you drop the 1 pounders they dont have a stem that can break. So less limely to leak i guess. The 20 lbs do have a top stem thats easilly broken if dropped. So 1 gallon of lpg gas is like 260 gallons of propane in the air. Any gas type canister is supposed to be chained upright so it cant fall and have the stem broken off. This is so oxygen isnt displaced in the immediate area. Thats in addition to the combustion danger.

4. Steveo4090

I've seen the after effects of propane explosions and they're amazingly destructive. Granted those are usually 100 lb+ tanks, but they're soooooo destructive that I wouldn't want to be around even a 1 pounder's explosion.

5. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

For me it's a simple matter of economics and disposal. A refillable tanks, => 10 lbs, pay for themselves before the second fill is exhausted and there's nothing to dispose of. Proper disposal of the green bottles, which almost nobody does, is a pita.

6. Thox Spuddy

Thox Spuddy Active Member

I switched over to white gas, so much easier and a gallon is easy to store.

kitphantom and Steveo4090 like this.
  7. Steveo4090

I prefer white gas as well. I have 3 coleman stoves in various sizes that I love to use. Normally they get more use in colder weather when propane doesn't perform as well. I use my blackstone griddle and my travel grill with a 10' hose attached to the quick disconnect at the back of the camper. It's more for convenience than anything else.

8. Sjm9911

If a one lb tanks bleves it will take out a 2 story brownstone at least knock it off the foundation. Lucky they dont usally do that. Usally the gas burns off or ignites through the pressure release valve. The bleves are rare. Bleve stands for boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion. Or as i was taught blast leveling everything very effectively. A 20 lb lpg tank will run out of fule in about an hour if its on fire.

9. Steveo4090

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. Sjm9911

Looks like regular fire damage. The walls came down due to the unprotected steel i beams. Steel expand at like 1 inch per 10 feet in that situation. That pushes the walls out and creates the collapse aeea you see. Im sure the porpane added to it , helping spead and .aking it progress fatser then normal. The truss system in that building could fail as quick as 10 minutes under heavy fire load.

11. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

I find I used at least one disposable tank during a weekend and part of a second. Not all the time, but enough to be concerned the partially used would leak and I'd smell gas in my storage area. That, not wanting to risk refilling, hassle of finding a recycling facility for the disposable, and changing bottles mid meal convinced me to go with a bulk tank.

But if you cook less and are only using a bottle or so per trip it would work. But I've read dozens of threads about moving from disposables to bulk, this is one of the only threads I can remember going there other way.

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

different economics for me as folks give me partially used little bottles (one chili cookoff couple claimed they always had to have a full one they also insisted on using them upside down!), I use em for free, cap em if not empty, empty them if no longer needed and dispose of empty. Coleman tiki torch via hose, no thanks.

Coleman use to have a little green key program to insure they were empty
    https://www.maricopa.gov/DocumentCe...eman-Propane-Cylinders---Green-Key-PDF?bidId=
    "If the cylinders are properly "burned off" with an appliance, less than 1 gram of fuel remains, meaning the cylinders can be discarded with household trash."

I respect propane, I did have an ole S-10 that I added propane capability, put ~60,000 miles using propane when it was economical, having gasoline back up was important on Sundays when most big propane refuelers were closed. Got great mpg in the mtns of CO & WY with 100 octane propane. No I did not consider it a big bomb in the back of the truck, 46 gallons of propane when full (~60 gallon tank).

years ago I read this Canada study about the cost associated with collecting/recycle these bottles, what amazed me was the trashed bottles included some 98% full!
    https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/sites/www.n...smm/busi-indu/rad-rad/pdf/prop-tan-fr-eng.pdf

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  13. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

As I commented earlier, we do prefer white gas for the outdoor stoves and lantern, but propane has its uses. We actually encountered - once - a fire ban that included white gas stoves and lanterns, but allowed propane. We were in the first pup then, and that was a confirmation that keeping the stove inside was a good idea. We knew about the ban before we left home, so bought a propane Coleman lantern for that trip.
    Eventually, if we like the single burner LP stove for some uses, we'll probably buy a smaller LP tank; the place where we refill our LP only charges for the amount filled. In the meantime, it's a good way to use up those 1# bottles we have.

14. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

Those of you using the ~10lb tanks, do you have problems getting them filled/exchanged locally? On the road?

I picked up a new propane stove to replace my dual fuel coleman, and a new small propane smoker and would like to eliminate the 1lb cannisters. A 20lb tank i believe would be too much for my needs..

Also, what mount are you using for storage outside the camper?

15. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Never had a problem getting mine refilled. I take it to the local feed store. Mine is meant to be portable so it rides in a milk crate with a white gas bottle, hoses and a propane tree. I just sit it inside the pup or in the back of the SUV.

Overland likes this.
  16. Thox Spuddy

Thox Spuddy Active Member

There is an adapter to use 1 lb propane cylinders in a white gas stove, I keep it and some propane in case. I do prefer propane lanterns but on a stove the controls don't allow a low simmer like on a white gas stove. I also like it that the fuel tank stores inside of the stove, and very easy to mount and remove. Explosions on a propane grill or stove can happen if the gas is on before you get it lit. If it doesn't light right away turn it off and wait for it to clear.
    The smaller sportster white gas stove stores in a paint can and is far better than a propane version as it is more stable.
    cookstove paint can 2019-08-31 10.13.29.jpg

17. rabird

rabird Howdy!

not looking to fix any stability issues, 7" base don't tip and the pot supports are just over 8".
    propaneStove.jpg

18. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I've never seen anything but 20 lb for exchange. But the smaller cyls use the same valves as the 20+ so anyone who fills 20s can fill them. The local Hank Hill if you can find him. Some truck stops, gas stations, KOAs, even grocery and convenience stores in some remote communities. Just look for the big white tank, go in and ask. If they don't refill they will usually tell you who will.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Overland likes this.
  19. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Our friends carry their smaller LP tank in their Thule rooftop cargo box. He made a cradle that the tank sits in, so it stays in place. When we carried the 1# canisters in our Thule box, we had a crate they fit in. That way, neither of us have carried LP canisters in an SUV. (We've carried our white gas there too, once we got a car top box.)
    Now that we have a truck, the extra 20# LP tank and the tote with the 1# canisters in the truck bed. Once we switch to a 5# or so LP tank, it will ride there too.

Overland likes this.
  20. Del Kelso

Del Kelso Member

okay, there is another downside to bulk tanks < 20 pounds that i didn't mention and it is a big one. almost every time i refill my 10 pound tank, the guys at the refill places school me on the fact that i could have gotten a 20 pound bottle cheaper than what i paid for the 10 pounder. refill it at u-haul, ace hardware, an RV dealer or a propane distributor and jim bob or buddy is gonna let you know, you made a big mistake you made paying more for a smaller tank. or, they won't know what to charge you for the refill. seems like half the gas ought to be half the price, but somehow or other they have to call a supervisor in for advice on pricing and then the supervisor is gonna lecture you on how much you overpaid for the tank, when you could have gotten a 20 pound tank cheaper. then they'll look for the pricing chart, which can't be found anywhere on the bulletin board or the bosses desk. by now, you are starting to understand how a coyote might chew off his own foot to get out of a trap, but not to worry. sooner or later they will make up an amount to charge and you will be able to leave. thankfully, i only have to fill my 10 pound bottle once every year or two.

Overland, Sjm9911 and Steveo4090 like this.