Lyman Lake State Park

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by Hoomi, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

As Arizona residents for over 20 years now, we've set a goal to visit every Arizona State Park, and to camp in each one that offers such amenities. This past weekend, we added Lyman Lake State Park to our "visited" list.

Lyman Lake is about a 57 mile drive from Show Low, Arizona, heading towards the New Mexico border. It sits midway between the towns of Springerville and St. Johns, at an altitude of about 6000'. Daytime highs tend to run a bit cooler than much of Arizona's desert climes, while the nights this weekend were cool but comfortable. The lake is decent size, offering boating, skiing, fishing, and swimming, with some trails in the park offering hiking. One of the trails leads to an area rife with petroglyphs, and is a fairly easy, short hike.

For a summer weekend, the campground was not packed, and was pleasantly quiet at night for us this weekend. The park offers sites with varying levels of hookups for RVs, from none at all, to full. A few cabins are also available. Facilities are modern plumbing, and sites are paved. The site we chose was within about a degree of level side-to-side, and after a short slope at the entrance, was pretty close to level front-to-back at the rear where we parked the P'up.

The park has a small store with basic supplies, fishing gear, books, and souvenirs. Springerville is about 18 miles away, and offers a full grocery store, some restaurants, and a reasonable assortment of other businesses for a small town. (We ate at Avery's BBQ on Friday night before making the final stretch to the lake, and enjoyed it.) St. Johns is a smaller town, a bit closer to the north of the park, but it's been a couple years since we drove through, and didn't actually explore the town.

We had a nice stay there, and will very likely go back again sometime soon.

2. Tercules

Tercules New Member

Are any of the sites right next to the lake?

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

4. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

We had ever camped at Lyman Lake once - not too far from our AZ favorite camping area - Big Lake. Kayaking is fun, but lake water - not so clean - I don't want to eat the fish from Lyman Lake. A few pics from the lake: P7280836.JPG

P7290852.JPG

P7290854.JPG

5. AZcouple

AZcouple New Member

We did our first camping trip there over 4th of July and was beautiful weather, the coolest place in the state!!

6. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

We didn't fish or go out on the water at all. I hiked, flew one of my kites, and we spent some time on Saturday night shooting photos of the Moon over the lake.