Lyrids Meteor Shower April 22nd

Discussion in 'Astronomy / Star Gazing' started by astronomynv, Apr 13, 2021.

1. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

The Lyrids Meteor shower will begin its annual show shortly. The best viewing will be between April 16th - April 25th. The height of the shower will be on or around April 22nd. They will appear to be coming out of the constellation Lyra. Lyra rises in the northeast. The shower will be slightly above and to the right of the star Vega It will rise later at night and on April 16 it starts to rise around 10:50pm and on April 22 it will rise sometime around 9:50pm. Times may vary based on where your viewing. The average hourly rate is 60 per hour. Enjoy

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

IMO - too few meteors per hour, Moon is interfering too much. I will stay in my warm bed.

Last time we tried to sleep under the stars to watch a meteor shower, the air mattress went flat after a few hours.

3. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I really like this kind of stuff, and after just telling my son about it, he'll be setting up some camera equip that he has for this type of thing. I agree with Anthony Hitchings that there always seems to be too few meteors to see, but I'll check it out and see what comes of it. Thanks for the info.

4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Speaking of too few meteors, one afternoon in winter we drove from Oakland over to the old Bonham Ranch area north of Pyramid Lake (NV) and lay nekkid in a not-hot-enough shallow hot spring for an hour in colder air temps - saw only one meteor. We decided to head to Sparks and stay in a motel - instead of camp (our original plan) and on our way out of the "parking area" we got a piece of metal thru a front tire sidewall. So I got to change a spare in the cold out in a very dark part of the back country. I need to avoid any driving on unpaved roads/parking areas at night. That puncture trashed a good tire.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Too bad we're not going to City of Rocks SP (NM) until the following week. Often too much light here in ABQ, but the SP is supposed to be good for "stargazing". (It's been 30 years or so since we were there, they've expanded the campground and facilities since then.)