MA: DMV What do I need to register a used pop up?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by cgm, Jun 28, 2018.

1. cgm

cgm New Member

I hope there is someone here from MA that can help me out... I am about to buy a used pop up.

I have been told that i need a copy of the previous owners registration if they don't have a title. Is that true? i checked out one today in New Hampshire, and they never registered it, but think they can get a copy of the old owner's registration. I might drive to check out another one, but they don't have a registration either. They also live in NH.

Please advise.

2. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

Check the MA DMV website- they probably have all the information you need.

3. cgm

cgm New Member

they do... but they don't. In many ways it isn't super clear. I think this is what i am looking for... the link states that all vehicles and trailers need to be registered, this is the link to do that -> https://www.mass.gov/how-to/apply-f...le-for-a-vehicle-purchased-from-an-individual

To register and title a vehicle purchased from a non-dealer, you will need the following:

• A completed application for registration & title (RMV-1 form)

• The previous owner’s certificate of title or the previous owner's registration and bill of sale for vehicles that are exempt because of his/her age

• Applicable payment
    I was wondering if anyone has had any luck registering without the registration.

4. cgm

cgm New Member

there is a camper i would like to check out tonight. they don't have their registration because they already transferred plates to a new camper. they do have the bill of sale and registration from the previous owner. I need to find out if that is enough info to make the dmv happy.

5. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Try calling your local AAA.

6. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

Google is your friend. [:D]

https://www.dmv.org/ma-massachusetts/other-types-of-vehicles.php

See "trailers" about halfway down.

Looks like you do need a title, but don't have to transfer title if the trailer weighs less than 3000 pounds.

You can also stop in and ask them in person. *gasp* :) Also, your insurance agent may know as well, since apparently, they are part of the registration process in Mass.

7. cgm

cgm New Member

i saw that website, but it is not affiliated with the .gov site. I ended up buying the camper, I have a bill of sale and the expired registration from the previous owner. hopefully it all works out tomorrow at the RMV!

8. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

9. cgm

cgm New Member

i was finally able to get to the plate yesterday! In MA, i needed my bill of sale, the PO's old registration and the stamp on the paperwork from my insurance agent. Hopefully we will take our first trip either next weekend or mid week after the weekend.

I had to go to my insurance agent on the 3rd to get the paperwork to register, then i spent over an hour at the RMV and left with a plate!

My insurance agent said that any accidents that happen while towing are covered by my truck's policy. She is going to give me a quote for coverage for the trailer... but unless it is super cheap, i can't see it being worth it.

Rik Peery and megcabra like this.
  10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Congrats on the NTU PUP
    Looks like you got it done, due to the bureaucracy it can be a mess trying to register and get get your plate on anything, Now you can go forward and start to "Make it your own". Just take it slow until you get a routine down for set up/ breakdown etc.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping

11. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Good to see that you got your paperwork and plate. Thanks for sharing the steps you followed. Should help other MA pupper's in the future.