MA - Otter River State Forest

Discussion in 'Massachusetts' started by kmobrien, Aug 17, 2014.

1. kmobrien

kmobrien New Member

Name: Otter River State Forest
    Phone Number: (978) 939-8962
    Official Website: http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/massparks/region-central/otter-river-state-forest.html
    Reservation Site: http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/otter-river-state-forest/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=MA&parkId=32616

Just returned from a very relaxing couple of days at Otter River, which was also my second time camping with my NTU pup. My wife and I stayed on site #1 with our dog and a friend (who was in a small tent), and we had a couple of friends in nearby site #2.

Otter River is very close to Lake Dennison, which is larger and attracts more attention. Aside from mildly overpriced firewood ($5 for a 5-log bundle), the campground is well maintained and clean; the showers are hot and the bathrooms recently updated, and both get attention from the rangers daily. I would not advise staying in site #1, however; there are bright spotlight lights at the check-in counter than run all night long, which diminished the ambiance and made star-gazing impossible. Any other site would be fine, however.

We took an hour-long walk out towards the Birch Hill dam on Saturday, following a wooded trail that ran more-or-less parallel to the railroad tracks nearby. While simple, it was a pleasant hike, and the dogs loved it. Evenings were relatively quiet, and we came home happy.

2. Mike33

Mike33 New Member

Awesome! Thanks for the review. I might make this place our first camping trip.

1998 Coleman Cheyenne
    2014 GMC Acadia AWD
    2006 GMC 2500hd duramax 4WD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Is there any cell phone service at the CG?

4. pixel

pixel Campers: Nature's way of feeding mosquitoes. Unkn.

We live close to there and have stayed many times. Lovely campground.

Highly recommend.

Pixel

5. swordfish

@pixel Did you get cell phone service there?

6. swordfish

Been there a few weeks ago. There was cell phone signal but no data (meaning 2G at best)

7. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I have never been there but stay at Dennison a lot. I heard the roads are a bit narrow and somewhat tricky to maneuver...thoughts?

8. swordfish

Yes, it is tricky to back into the lot. I am experienced and still took me several tries. Your vehicle must in the right direction of the road or you are unable to do it. We stayed at #57. Site #58 is the easiest lot to back into, straight off the road turning to the bath house, no angled backing.

9. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Good to know, thanks!