MA - Otter River State Forest

kmobrien

Aug 4, 2014
Name: Otter River State Forest
Phone Number: (978) 939-8962
Official Website: http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dcr/massparks/region-central/otter-river-state-forest.html
Reservation Site: http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/otter-river-state-forest/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=MA&parkId=32616

Just returned from a very relaxing couple of days at Otter River, which was also my second time camping with my N2U pup. My wife and I stayed on site #1 with our dog and a friend (who was in a small tent), and we had a couple of friends in nearby site #2.

Otter River is very close to Lake Dennison, which is larger and attracts more attention. Aside from mildly overpriced firewood ($5 for a 5-log bundle), the campground is well maintained and clean; the showers are hot and the bathrooms recently updated, and both get attention from the rangers daily. I would not advise staying in site #1, however; there are bright spotlight lights at the check-in counter than run all night long, which diminished the ambiance and made star-gazing impossible. Any other site would be fine, however.

We took an hour-long walk out towards the Birch Hill dam on Saturday, following a wooded trail that ran more-or-less parallel to the railroad tracks nearby. While simple, it was a pleasant hike, and the dogs loved it. Evenings were relatively quiet, and we came home happy.

Mike33

Aug 15, 2014
Awesome! Thanks for the review. I might make this place our first camping trip.

1998 Coleman Cheyenne
2014 GMC Acadia AWD
2006 GMC 2500hd duramax 4WD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swordfish

Super Active Member
Sep 27, 2010
swordfish said:
@pixel Did you get cell phone service there?

Been there a few weeks ago. There was cell phone signal but no data (meaning 2G at best)

Genie2010

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2013
I have never been there but stay at Dennison a lot. I heard the roads are a bit narrow and somewhat tricky to maneuver...thoughts?

swordfish

Super Active Member
Sep 27, 2010
Genie2010 said:
I have never been there but stay at Dennison a lot. I heard the roads are a bit narrow and somewhat tricky to maneuver...thoughts?
Yes, it is tricky to back into the lot. I am experienced and still took me several tries. Your vehicle must in the right direction of the road or you are unable to do it. We stayed at #57. Site #58 is the easiest lot to back into, straight off the road turning to the bath house, no angled backing.