MA - Scusset Beach State Park, Cape Cod

Discussion in 'Massachusetts' started by NH-popper, Jul 12, 2010.

1. NH-popper

NH-popper Boldly going camping!

My family stayed from Wednesday 7/7 through Sunday 7/11 at Scusset Beach State Park, on the Cape Cod Canal in Sandwich, MA. Here's a review.

Location: At the north end of the Cape Cod Canal, a five minute drive from the Sagamore Bridge to Cape Cod, it's on the "Mainland" side of the canal.

Features: easy access to the canal bike/walk path, a beach on Cape Cod Bay, quick hop onto Cape Cod.

Atmosphere: Utilitarian. We were on the side of the campground that had the most foliage, but still, most sites there are open fields (or close) with no shade. On the end closer to the beach it's strictly a glorified parking lot, paved paths and parking areas for your PUP amongst a grass field. Lots of families and more big rigs than PUPs (at least while we were there). At quiet time, our end of the campground was VERY quiet, maybe the quietest of the CG's we visited this year. Our site's PUP parking was so far from power that we needed to run out to Wally World for a 30 amp extension cord, and used the whole thing (oh well, been meaning to get one of those anyway). Our water was over 50 feet away in the corner on the opposite side of the site, but we already had extra hose for that. Campers weren't particularly friendly, but one neighbor did come over to help me deal with a SPUT (described below).

Bathroom review: Looks like MA has cut budgets, because while the bathrooms were modern, they were really gross inside. They got cleaned once, perhaps twice a day, and with so many people using them the smell was noticeable, the toilets gross, and the floor wet and strewn with tissues and other stuff. True, you get people who behave like animals, its not the park's fault, but other CG's I've been to clean the bathrooms more often. Made me glad we had our own toilet/shower.

There was a nature center in the CG, but it was closed when we were there. There was no campground store.

Overall impression: could have been worse, but nothing outstanding to recommend it either. And if you don't have your own facilities, at least one reason to stay away - the bathrooms. We probably won't go back there.

SPUT of the trip: - a strong wind came along while we were out and blew our Carefree of CO awning clear up and over the top of the PUP, ripping out one of the short pole anchors and breaking the connection of a standing leg that I'd just fixed before the trip. Lesson: make sure your standing legs are really firmly anchored (a problem in Scusset's sandy soil). Ah well, if I fixed it once I can fix it again, right? :)

EDIT: One other thing I noticed - the water here tastes awful, almost like pool water. Must be from some kind of treatment plant. My son (the big water drinker) actually finally refused to drink it, even on a hot day!

2. MamaK

MamaK Member

Have not camped at Scusset, but have camped at Shawme Crowell just over the canal in Sandwich.
    No hookups but decent sized sites and facilities have been clean when we've been there. We generally don't camp on summer weekends but have been there during the week in August. Camping at Shawme gives you parking access to the beach at Scusset (at least it did in the past) and the sites are not wide open but mostly treed. Just a slightly different option depending on what you're interested in.

3. jdubois

jdubois New Member

@ NH-popper:
    Did you make use of the nearby features (beach, bike trail, fishing, etc.) and, kit yes, what are your impressions? I'm considering a stay there this summer.

4. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

Scusset is really nice, but, it is not a forested campground. There are trees between the sites and most of the sites are semi-private. The beach is a very short walk from the campground and the Bike Trail ends at Scusset. I would recommend the CG, it is one of the nicer state parks IMHO.

5. jdubois

jdubois New Member

I had done an off-season drive-thru to check it out, and it looks like a good spot to take in the beach and boats for a few days. Thank you for the review.

6. safetylady

safetylady New Member

Due to the location, Scusset is one of our favorite campgrounds. You have a great place to bike as well as the beach. The down side is privacy and you cannot have a fire a you site, there is a group fire.

7. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

I couldn't even get a site at that place. It fills up faster then disaster.

8. poohsta3

poohsta3 Poopup

Maybe you guys should try Sippiwissett Campgrounds in Falmouth. Ive been there a few times and always had a great time. THe restrooms have always beem SPOTLESS! We were previous "tent" type campers so that is always really important to us. The campgrounds have direct access to the Shining Sea Bikeway ( which is beautiful). You can have fires too.

9. jdubois

jdubois New Member

Thanks poostah3 & safetylady:
    For me, no fires = no camping

10. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Just reserved for memorial weekend . crazy with the. 6 month window I logged on 25 the to find only 4 open spots left yesterday.

11. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

I have stayed across the canal at Bay View Campground. We like it there. :)

12. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

We stayed there last year for 4 days and bourne scenicpark during Columbus weekend both are nice.

13. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

FYI , the electricity construction has not even started. they refunded my reservation today. Lucky found a 30 AMP spot which will take a 33 TT at Salisbury beach. the last one for the length.

a little more walk to the beach but it atleast has some shade from google maps.

14. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Silver: Salisbury on Memorial Day weekend? I will be there too!

15. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

We are waiting to hear what is going on with Scusset. We usually spend Memorial Day and Labor day weekends there in the Safari Field with our Camping Club. No power isn't really going to make a difference to us...we don't have it anyways. We are required to be self contained, so we don't even use the bath house....hopefully they let us go.

We were at Salisbury Beach in October for Columbus Day weekend. Nice place, but basically an open field with paved parking pads.

16. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

I agree on Salisbury. We were there with the scouts a couple years ago, just after super storm Sandy. We called and asked about stating there and the camp master made a deal with us, we stay free if we spent a few hours cleaning up. We filled a dozen trash bags and the kids god rank advancement.

Some rude bird watchers kept wandering through our site but had fun anyway.

What I did like about it was its a short walk to the beach and the bath house was warm (we were there in November) and had a dish washing station outside at the bathhouse.

Jerry in MA

17. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

They are opening July 1st with 50 AMP serice on all RV sites and new shower and bathroom.
    i reseverd for 4 days in august.

they are filling fast,i logged into reserve america at 9.05 and half the sites for the auguest weekend i am going was gone . they opened reservation at 9 am today morning.

satish

18. stephermay

stephermay New Member

We stayed there August 2015. Facilities were very clean and nicely updated. The electrical was nice, but still a loooooooong way to the water faucets, so we just dry camped. Can't beat a beachfront vacation for cheap - if you can get the site booked. We put in for a notification if an availability came up, which, lucky for us, it did. [:D]