MA- Scussett State Park??

Discussion in 'Massachusetts' started by theraceshop, Jul 8, 2009.

1. theraceshop

theraceshop Belchertown, MA

I am going to Scussett State Park in Massachusetts last min decision has anyone gone before?? Would like to hear your reviews and what to expect. I figure 20.00 a night w/e at the beach can't be that bad. July 9-11. Will give a review when I get back

2. Goldens

Goldens Member

I have lived on the south shore all my life and my parents used to take me fishing there quite often. I have never camped there but I do remember the campsites are kinda close together. It has a nice sandy beach, a jetty to walk out on and fish from (bring a surfcasting rod if you have one and a tide chart, the current is way to strong to fish unless the tide is slack) and definitely bring the bicycles, a great level bike path on both sides of the canal with a railroad bridge at the other end. Your son will love the big ships as they pass through the canal. Just up rt 3A a few miles you will find ellisvilles state park that offers a nice short walk if your looking for things to do. You might find some good deals on a lobster dinner at one of the local restaurant's.

Hope you have fun, look forward to your review.

3. Tomminny

Tomminny 2004 Jayco Qwest 10K

We tent camped there last summer. The sites are all pretty close together but it is a nice park, clean bath houses and walking distance to the beach.

There is a GREAT fried seafood place directly across the canal from the park. Can't remember the name of it but it is across the road from the coast guard academy.

Enjoy!!!!
    Tom

4. theraceshop

theraceshop Belchertown, MA

Hi everybody! Got back from our trip and had a great time. If you like the ocean then this is the place for you. Our site was on the main rd of the campsites but didn't bother me. Cost was 20.00. Camp ground is located along the Cape Cod canal and the bay. Site was 7 sites away from the canal. What a nice view. Many large boats up and down. Got to see several Tall Ships sail by. Did I say cost only 20.00 a night with W/E. The beach was located about a five min walk from the site too. The sand was soft and the sun was warm. My son loved the star fish that could be found. Cost 20.00. Fishing is very popular on the canal. saw plenty of flounder being caught. We took a nice walk to end of jetty and sat at light house and just relaxed. Something that is very hard to do these days. Saw nice sunsets over the dunes and cliffs in the distance. If I didn't say it cost 20.00. I found that the sights are not close togather but had plenty of space. there is shrub pines and nice bushes between each site. Most do not have a lot of shade over head but this is the beach. Bring extra hose and electrical cord you need it. I can not wait to go back. Oh also it only cost 20.00. [SUN] [:D]

5. Need2Travel

Need2Travel Rhode Island

I was just thinking of booking a few days there at the end of summer.

Locations like this is why we PUP - honestly how else you going to be able to have a near waterfront vacation home for $20 a night. And the best is you can change your waterfront view (from site to site, to park to park, to state to state, freshwater, then some salty beachfront)

and for that $20 you even got electric hook up!

I think you have talked me into booking! :)

6. peteacher

peteacher New Member

We just got back from a week at Scussett. It was very nice. Wish I knew you were there! We walked the beach and biked the canal every day. Soooo relaxing!

7. Goldens

Goldens Member

Sounds like you guys had an awesome time!

Where abouts? On the beach side or canal side of the jetty? I love flounder, ate a lot as a kid [:)O] but didn't have much luck several years ago when I went down, thought they dissapeared, glad to hear their back, must get down there to give a cast at the very least.

8. mercman

mercman Go Ahead, Be That Happy Camper!

great review, makes me want to go. Will have to put that on the short list for this summer. Say, do you happen to know how much it cost per night? [:D]
    Do you have any pictures or site recommendations?

-Chris

9. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I have not been there after the big renovation. Planning a 4 day trip in mid july will update on how it is.

Must be nice as it is hard to get a spot for rent here.

10. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Highly recommended. Also the constant full Reserve America msg is bogus as alot of empty spots are everywhere. We spoke to a couple who said they camp in the safari area all the time for cheap. No hookups but you are on the beech so its cool even on 90 plus days . Also at 8 am you go to the ranger station and find alot of cancellation and no shows. great biking, fishing,beech campground.