MA - Wells State Park

Discussion in 'Massachusetts' started by Fourkids, Jul 22, 2007.

1. garry4re

garry4re New Member

very nice campground - woodsy and spacious. Site #25 is awesome. right on the water (and completely booked this year). The mosquitos are unbelievable here. Bring your repellant.

2. korie99

korie99 New Member

Just wanted to 2nd the mosquito repellent! We stayed there this past Memorial Day & were amazed at the mosquito swarms (our first trip was last year in October - hardly any mosquitoes) Yard Guard worked well, we sprayed around the perimeter of the site every few hours (we were on site 14 with no neighbors close by) and I also went to the store on day 2 and stocked up on Off and bought an Off Power Pad and used the mosquito coils that burn like incense. And I STILL got bit here and there. Having said that, we love it there. We are heading back again in October and are booked on site 25. Can't wait! Oh and definitely use Kevin's pictures as a reference - they are fantastic!

3. bman77

bman77 Member

We're in site #8 for Labor day weekend. I stopped up there last week and took a look at it. The skeeters are no joke, I'm constructing a screenhouse mod around our awning and 10x10 canopy. As well as reinforcing the screens in the camper.

4. chrisc

chrisc New Member

i love it there be going on my birthday i off my screen house lol last time were in site 39 on the hill wasnt bad at all there

5. Machine

Machine Member

Does anyone happen to know how site 13 is?? Thanks!

6. korie99

korie99 New Member

We stayed on 14 last time so 13 was right next door - it is set up on a hill and is pretty cozy with site 12 (actually if you had some friends coming along sites 12 & 13 would be great, as you are up in your own little area) 14 is downhill from 13 so there is definitely good separation. 13 is also very close to the bathrooms and shower.

7. umpajam

umpajam New Member

Does anyone have any info on site 22 in this park? Also maybe a recommendation on a site there for a family with two boys ages 4 and 5. Thanks joe

8. GearHd6

GearHd6 New Member

That all depends on what you are interested in. My gf and I just hiked through all the camp sites a week ago. While I don't remember the specifics regarding 22, most of the sites along that loop closest to the water were fairly open, relatively level. We do remember that you could hear quite a bit of road noise from the pike down on the road between sites A and B. If you want a quieter area then up on the other loop may be more to your liking. However when we were there the gravel roads off the other loop were a bit rough. Not sure if they will be improving those now that camping season is here or not.

9. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

We stayed at Wells the past five days and it was a great time!

[​IMG]

We camped sited #25, secluded waterfront access and view! Great access to privately launch your canoe or kayak(s)...we will bring our canoe next time that we book #25. My folks made camp in their A.S. just up from us in site 7.
    Highly recommend site 25...and 7 if you go with family or friends. This allows each camp to be Independent and or have quiet time alternately from our two DS's, briefly LOL!! But this also allowed for us to come together and enjoy each site for what it offers!!! Yes we all enjoyed site 25 primarily [;)] Very little to no vehicle traffic by site 25...very little foot traffic to the beach area and same for casual walkers as well. The sites location allows for an almost "private" experience within the park...granted we camped Sunday to Thursday!!!

[​IMG]

Here is our PUP [PU] at #25 and my folks with their A.S. [HYC] [PUT] just behind up the hill at #7
    Our boys, 6 & 4, loved the independent walks to grandma and grandpa's "place" at #7, but always under watchful eye to and from.

Very dog friendly, we brought our two girls and they loved it!!! But like anywhere, watch your step, unfortunately not everyone practices the doggie bag pick up. Only one experience with a day use couple walking thru with their dog off leash, wandering into camp...no leash visible or in hands. Luckily ours were napping inside from our earlier hike and a truck couldn't wake them LOL!

The campground enjoys a portion of shoreline on Walker Pond. If your not at a site along the waters edge to enjoy the breeze off the water, the mosquitoes may carry you away after they have drained you and your family.
    Very much a marsh or marsh like with mosquitoes at the lower sites, 14,15,16 & A,B.
    I didnt, nor did the family find the mosquitoes to bad, average really, but when they were thickest and most hungry we really found no reprieve unless at site 25 with the breeze off the water. One evening there wasn't a breeze and I considered the bug repellent, but it was late and we turned in anyway :)

The facilities are lacking in cleanliness. The cleaning rounds were made twice a day but very little cleaning is done. Luckily for our two DS's my parents were camping with us in their Airstream with black tank...i contemplated it myself and I consider myself a seasoned backwoods privy connoisseur LOL!!

No dishwashing station. Usually not a problem for us, and I suspect other campers were boiling and cleaning and broadcasting after.
    Not this one tenter, who drove to the nearest Potable water spigot and proceeded to clean their breakfast dishes. It was cleaned up by the park by the time I needed any water for coffee so I was happy though disgusted by that selfish act.

Overall a great time and experience!!!
    Beautiful Park with rich history!!
    We will return, but probably only if we can reserve #25...or possibly #19. Definitely only #25 & #7 if we camp with my folks again!!!

Thank you!!!
    Off to D.A.R. State Forest in Goshen Ma in two days!!!!!!

10. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd