Inthekoots

May 23, 2021
BC
My 1996 Starcraft has a 6620 Magnetek converter. I have checked and triple checked the battery. It doesn’t seem to be the problem. The electrical worked inside the trailer last season but I cannot get it to work when on DC this year. All lights work when hooked up to AC. The manual isn’t much help since it’s says the converter has a 3-position switch to change power source but the only things I see when I open the cover to the converter are 2 - 20 amp breakers and 4 - 15 fuses. I’ve checked all the fuses and they’re in good condition. I just tried the voltmeter on the battery again and it’s where it needs to be. Any hints on where else to look to problem solve the issue?

Raycfe

Waterford Ct.
Oct 3, 2007
Waterford, Ct
The manual states to get 12 volts from the battery you have to unplug the 110 VAC power cord .....(the convertor has a builtin transfer relay)
Also .... the first 15 amp breaker shuts off the 110 VAC power.
the red wire is the battery connection .......... check for power there.
the blue wire is the 12 volt output from the convertor
The manual really sucks ....
Summary ....... check for 12 volts at battery terminal > output side of inline fuse/circuit breaker in battery lead at battery > 12 volts at red wire at convertor. Hope this helps MagneTek convertor are not the greatest convertors

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
Bad battery ground? I prefer a ground cable all the way to the converter and eliminating grounds to the frame. They degrade over time.

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
The Magnatek 6620 has an automatic relay, not a 3 way switch. So going back to basics. Is the battery hooked up correctly, wire with fuse/breaker on positive post, wire to frame on negative post? Is the fuse/breaker at the positive post good? Is the battery fuse in the converter good?