Maiden voyage and hitch recall

Joe MM

Apr 26, 2015
We had our first trip last weekend and It was perfect. After I installed a receiver hitch to my Tv myself (a Curt Class III purchased from Amazon for $135, installation was a piece of cake, one man job), I purchased the 2" drop hitch and ball from a local U Haul dealer. Turns out there is a recent recall on the hitch itself. It is for Curt manufactured hitches for U Haul TS1 or TS2 "U Haul power tow" brand (7500 lb rating) which could have been purchased from Uhaul online or in-store. We had no problem but I returned the hitch. I needed a shorter drop anyway. I underestimated the loaded weight in the back of my TV and in the front storage box of the PUC. Also bought a $11.95 7pin connector. Now wondering if I need a brake controller to properly operate the electric brakes on the PUC. I had no towing problem whatsoever with our Tahoe as TV.

Our 2 night trip couldn't have been better. We lucked out and got a last minute Ga Stae Park reservation, lakeside, shaded site. It was a great opportunity to check out everything on our '04 PUC itself and see what mods we want. Found I need a new city water connection ( leaks from weight of the water hose over the years, but I propped it up with a vertical 2x4 , this upward, equalizing support turned out to make it leak worse after the 2x4 was removed. Just an old, worn out part) and door latch ( mine won't lock). Should be 2 easy, low cost replacements.

Holding out to purchase a PUC with a potty /shower turned out to be the right decision, for wife, daughters and even me. # 2's only!. They ford cassette use/emptying is as easy as they say. We added 2" memory foam to our mattresses - a big plus.

Planned mods - want to hang a 6-8' wire shelf about 1-2 ft below the ceiling for extra storage, want to "block" up the back of the dinette seat cushions so we can lean back on the dinette seats, need more "shelving" behind the Galley. Also need to acquire an interior rug/ runner and outdoor patio mat. Looking forward to our second trip!!

Joe MM

Apr 26, 2015
My '03 Tahoe did not come with a tow package but does have a standard (original equipment) round (7 pin, I believe) female connector tucked in the rear frame area. I used a simple double-male connector to hook it up to my PUC. Lights, brake lights and turn signals are operational and I assume 12V PUC battery is getting charged as I drive/tow. Don't know if elec brakes on PUC are "connected" Or working without the brake controller installed.

Joe MM

Apr 26, 2015
Oh, when you say "wired for it" you probably mean under the dash. I'll have to look. Thx

real lite virgin

Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab
Apr 15, 2010
That black connector in the picture is for On Board Diagnostics. It is where they plug in a scanner to check for codes.

Rob

ezakoske

Nov 30, 2014
Escondido, CA
I have an '03 Tahoe also - what you are looking for is a squarish box with what looks like a long nut sticking out the front of it. It's up behind the gas and brake pedals. Unscrew the nut and you can take the cover off and access the connections to plug in a brake controller.

IIRC, it's also referenced in the owner's manual (if you still have it).

Let me know if you need a picture to help locate it and I'll go out and take one.

Good luck!

Erik

Joe MM

Apr 26, 2015
Thanks Rob,

Thanks Nineoaks, (yeah, it's 3000 lbs. and over in Ga.)

Erik, I see it. Thx, that's a big help!