Maiden Voyage - Lakeport State Park, MI

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by JRMack523, Sep 4, 2014.

1. JRMack523

JRMack523 New Member

[:D]We leave for our maiden voyage tomorrow after work. We've been busy gathering up various items and combining our gear from tent camping into our NTU pup. We are down to filling up the cooler with some food stuff and adult drinks. I do have a fridge but I do not have a 7-pin to charge with while towing. I'm not comfortable running on propane for the pre-cool either. I have tested the fridge and it seems to cool fairly quickly. I'm confident that we will be fine.

Bad news is that it is supposed to be raining upon arrival to site. I'm going to put on a show for the wife who will be patiently waiting in TV. It's not that she wouldn't offer to help. I'm just one of those guys who puts a plan together and knocks it out. I'm better if I don't have to explain stuff to someone else along the way. If all goes well, I will be up and mostly dry in no time. I'll let you guys know if I am victorious. lol

The great news is we are finally getting out in the pup. My wife is super excited and so am I. It's been a few weeks since we bought it and between the portal and Pinterest, I think we have built up to this moment. Wish us luck!

2. JRMack523

JRMack523 New Member

Well, we made it! Maiden voyage was a success. It was raining pretty heavy when we got to the CG. We had to wait about 20 minutes before we could get out and get started on the set up. The site was a lake, so we had to set up to the furthest edge, backing up near a large tree. I wasn't totally comfortable being under the tree, but I had plenty of clearance to get the top up and the bunks out. Also, it was the only spot within reachable distance of the power supply. Added a 30 AMP extension cord to my handy dandy notepad...lol. My in-laws rolled into the site next to us with their 26' Jayco about 15 minutes into our set up. At this point, the PUP was leveled out and everything was up, and then I noticed I never dropped the stabilizers down! Checked for level again and did this immediately. I couldn't get the awning up due to the rain picking up again. We brought a small folding step stool with us so I figured on doing it the following morning.

In-laws wandered over after they were settled and we just spent the rest of the evening hanging out with them and letting them check out the new camper. No campfire, but still a great time listening to the rain falling on the roof and bunks. This sound is amazing for sleeping. So relaxing! No leaks, which is a good thing, especially since this was only the second time this '09 has ever been used. Despite the rain, it was pretty hot out. Around 90 degrees. We had a chance to test out the a/c. It was cool in the PUP in about 15 minutes.

By morning, the rain stopped but was still overcast. Got out and had some breakfast. After, we all took a stroll around the park. The site next to us had three tents, all partially under water. Their site flooded worse than ours. They were already up pulling stuff out to dry. They didn't leave though. Stayed the entire weekend. We checked out the various PUPs and TT's around the place. Even got a tour of a 60's Airstream and an "A" frame. Enjoyed talking to many people.

Headed down to the beach to check out the waves rolling in and quite a few freighter ships in the distance. Checked out the camp store and then pretty much hung around the site for the rest of the day, reading, and enjoying great company. Actually, we pretty much hung out on the in-laws site next to us due to the "lake". Helped out a small group of young tent campers who, after about 35 minutes, still couldn't figure out how to assemble the tent. My wife, father in-law, and I pitched in and had the tent up in about 5 minutes. No troubles. The group was very grateful for our help.

On the last night, temps dropped to near 40. Time to test out the heat and heated mattresses. Again, passed with shining stars! I don't notice a huge difference in temp of the mattress just by touching it. I did notice after laying on it for a bit. I really don't think we'll use this feature on a regular basis. The furnace is more than enough. Still, it's nice to have this option if I ever decide to try winter camping.

All in all, we had a great trip. Heading back out on 9/26 to Holly Rec Area. We are going to try and get in for the last weekend of the Renaissance Festival. Honestly, I just wanted to get back out in the PUP. The fest is just a bonus!

Oh, I forgot to add, the camping was the only good part of the weekend. Upon return home, we found that the storm that came through Friday, split our power pole in half behind our house. The force ripped my meters right off the back of my house. They were just dangling over the patio. Ugh. We had been planning an update to everything but not right away. Having this incident happen changed our mind. DW's cousin is an electrician. He came and updated our entire service inside and out. Hope everyone else in the Detroit area made it through the storm alright. Had no idea how bad it was. It wasn't that severe at the CG.

3. bondo54

bondo54 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the trip was a fun time. Did you have DW's cousin put you in a 30amp plug so you can plug the pup in at your house??

4. JRMack523

JRMack523 New Member

I thought about doing the 30 AMP. Maybe next summer. I need to run some updated wiring to the garage first.

5. kmaxxxx

kmaxxxx New Member

Sounds like a great trip, rain is just not so bad when you're off the ground eh? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Congratulations Joe! It sounds like you did quite well on your maiden voyage even with the rain.

When you're at Holly Rec., check out the Trillium Loop ... that's where we hold the Michigan Rally every year. We'd love to have you join us next June. [:D]

Happy camping!
    Diane