Maiden voyage

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by blueline149, Sep 21, 2019.

1. blueline149

blueline149 New Member

My wife and I bought a 2005 Fleetwood Sequoia and took it out on a one night maiden voyage last night to a local campground. We drive a whopping 3.5 miles to get there, but it towed easily. I had just installed the trailer brake controller the night before and it worked well.

The trip was fun and we decided that this trailer is perfect for us, but we (mostly me) learned a few lessons. I felt rushed both leaving home and leaving the campsite, so I made a bunch of dumb decisions that cost time and money.

As I was loading the trailer I closed the exterior half door and then it wouldn’t open. Instead of releasing pressure on the stabilizer jacks (which in hind sight would have worked) I disassembled the door lock mechanism. Now, I can’t get it back together correctly. The backing plate to the mechanism fell down between the walls and I can’t get to it.

Once the trailer was finally loaded (and the door taped shut) we hitched up and headed off....for about a block. That’s when I realized I forgot to fully latch the hitch onto my ball. Thankfully that was a quick fix.

Got to the campground and got all set up, which was easy. Made spaghetti for dinner which was tasty. Got the hot water heater working, but couldn’t figure out the cassette toilet. The valve just wasn’t opening. We didn’t know that though and put water and some pee down it. I decide to investigate. I pull the cassette out and there’s water and pee all over the top. Then I realize there’s a plastic door that needs to come off before the toilet can be used. I fixed that and put it back together. Thankfully the hot water was working so I could nicely wash my hands.

Ate dinner and got the kids (5 and 10 months) to bed but realized we forgot stuff for the infant. So back home I go to grab a few things.

I slept great, but nobody else did. My 5 year old got sick and was trying to go potty all night. The infant cried for her bottle. My wife helped them both. Morning came and we all got up and packed up.

Putting the trailer away I forgot to take off the bungees before sliding the end in and I popped the end hook off one. So I’ll have to find a replacement. Got the rest put away successfully and drove the long 3.5 miles home with a dramatic 5 year old who felt hot.

Got it backed into the driveway and all was good. We were finally home. I then went to crank the top up to unload and I found my crank right where I left it, in the center of the spare tire on the back. Doh!!! The crank was there, but that meant my spare tire cover was at the campground. So back I go.

It could have certainly gone better, but we had fun and were happy about the trip.

Tony Mitchell and hq308 like this.
  2. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

Things can only get better, glad YOU had a good time

3. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I think we've all been there. You probably won't make those mistakes again but will likely make others (ask me how I know) but don't worry about it you'll get there. After a couple or three trips things will start to fall into place.

If it's not too late, don't go crazy buying a bunch of stuff you think need, only to have it collecting dust in the garage or basement. Again, ask me how I know. Instead, on your first few trips take the bare minimum you think you can get by with along with something to keep a list. As you find something you need/want you can buy it locally or write it down and pick it up when you get home.

No matter, keep taking those kids camping. You and the kids will make memories that will last a lifetime.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Mistakes at first are the usual but things get better with practice, I always use a check list so I do not forget anything that way. Good Luck and Keep on Camping

5. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

6. LonesomeDove

LonesomeDove New Member

It will be smooth sailing as you get more setup and take down practice. Enjoy your camping and make great memories with the family!

7. Braol

Braol New Member

I forgot leveling blocks on our first trip. But home was a little more than 3.5 miles away.lol The level app on my phone said the camper was almost over 2 degrees off side to side